Kreg Owners' Community

 

Hello All,

I am fairly new at woodwork and have a slight problem. I have built a headboard and a bed frame. Both were built using the Kreg Jig (I love this tool !) I purchased all the wood at the same time. I built the headboard and stained it no problem. I have now built the bed frame and stained it. The problem is the two items are not the same shade now. I used the same can of stain. I built the two items about three weeks apart.The bed frame is quiet a bit darker..now what do I do..??

Should I have built both items then stained them both ?

any suggestions would be very helpful,

Derrick Williams

Views: 778

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What kind of wood?
Was the headboard exposed to direct sunlight when drying ? ...and yes it is best to finish any "set" pieces at the same time if possible...you may also want to try wood conditioner before staining, especially if on pine.
Both pieces were built with pine. I'm thinking one may have been white pine and the other yellow pine . Neither piece
Was put in the sun to dry.
That would explain it you used different types of wood. I was thinking maybe you used poplar can be different light and dark spots. That why many times they use a dark stain to hide the different tones common in the wood.
Was the container of stain properly stirred on both applications?  This could accounts for the different shades.

Two things occur to me. First, did you use stain sealer on both pieces?  Usually, without stain sealer pine will become blotchy but it could also account for different absorbtion between the two pieces.

Second, Was the headboard sanded to a finer grit than the bed frame, or, sanded more? Sanding smoother produces a smooth surface but also tends to fill the grain slowing stain absorbtion.

Derrick Williams said:

Both pieces were built with pine. I'm thinking one may have been white pine and the other yellow pine . Neither piece
Was put in the sun to dry.
In the past I have had the same problem or something simular. My project comes out darker than I want, or it is supposed to have a red tent and it is brown. What wood conditioner do you recommendand where do I buy it?

Mike Robson said:
Was the headboard exposed to direct sunlight when drying ? ...and yes it is best to finish any "set" pieces at the same time if possible...you may also want to try wood conditioner before staining, especially if on pine.
I use Minwax oil stain, you may need to put on another coat of stain. Test it on a small area that is not too noticeable, that way if the stains don't match, it won't be a big problem. Water based stains tend to be problematic. You need to put on an under coating and then the stain. The stain is really a translucent paint, rather than a real stain. A real stain is absorbed into the wood, hence the purpose of the oil base. When the color is dark enough, you need to wipe the stain off with a cloth. I usually do two applications of the stain to get the right depth of color. I usually sand the wood first, so that the stain will be absorbed uniformly. See my latest project, was stained with 2 coats of stain and then 2 coats of polyurethane. The project was made out of White Pine, a soft wood which will readily absorb the stain.
The wood conditioner needs to be applied before the stain, it should be the same brand as the stain. What I would do is make up stained wood samples that match your staining problem, take the samples to a paint store where you can get good advice and find out what is recommended to correct the problem.

The best wood conditioner is "Charles Neil's Blotch Control"

You can get it here.

http://shop.charlesneilwoodworking.com/Charles-Neils-Pre-Color-Cond...

 

Can't say enough good about it.  It's more expensive than others, but the results are well worth it.

Craig Sims said:

In the past I have had the same problem or something simular. My project comes out darker than I want, or it is supposed to have a red tent and it is brown. What wood conditioner do you recommendand where do I buy it?

Mike Robson said:
Was the headboard exposed to direct sunlight when drying ? ...and yes it is best to finish any "set" pieces at the same time if possible...you may also want to try wood conditioner before staining, especially if on pine.
Oil based stains can usually be lightened with mineral spirits.

Don Trust said:

The best wood conditioner is "Charles Neil's Blotch Control"

You can get it here.

http://shop.charlesneilwoodworking.com/Charles-Neils-Pre-Color-Cond...

 

Can't say enough good about it.  It's more expensive than others, but the results are well worth it.

Craig Sims said:

In the past I have had the same problem or something simular. My project comes out darker than I want, or it is supposed to have a red tent and it is brown. What wood conditioner do you recommendand where do I buy it?

Mike Robson said:
Was the headboard exposed to direct sunlight when drying ? ...and yes it is best to finish any "set" pieces at the same time if possible...you may also want to try wood conditioner before staining, especially if on pine.

HI bennett....sorry for not responding sooner.

I have always used Minwax products...I have good luck with them.



Craig Sims said:

In the past I have had the same problem or something simular. My project comes out darker than I want, or it is supposed to have a red tent and it is brown. What wood conditioner do you recommendand where do I buy it?

Mike Robson said:
Was the headboard exposed to direct sunlight when drying ? ...and yes it is best to finish any "set" pieces at the same time if possible...you may also want to try wood conditioner before staining, especially if on pine.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

Forum

Pantry slides for heavy application

  Recently purchased two 96" tall pantry cabinets that are 23" deep that only came with two adjustable shelves and two fixed, (one at about 55" and one at the very bottom).  Shelf holes in the walls are drilled 2" O.C.  Like most store-bought…Continue

Tags: drawer, slides, pantry, pull-out, 75-Lb

Started by Paul Coon in General Woodworking Aug 11.

Miter Saw Recommendation 1 Reply

I’m looking to upgrade my miter saw. I’m willing to invest a good amount of money to get one with the precision pocket hole joinery requires. Would anyone like to offer a recommended model?

Started by Joe Racz in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by Scott Davison Oct 6.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 8 Comments

© 2021   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_