Kreg Owners' Community

Just purchased a Kerg-Flex Featherboard for my Craftsman 10" table saw. It fits perfectly in the slot but it slides with the board being cut. How does one stop it from sliding freely. Apparently I missed something. Any suggestions?

Views: 2021

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have same featherboards with a craftsman jobsite saw and it works fine. I just tighten down knobs and it stays tight. I am not sure what the problem could be.

The Wedge Lock blocks should snug down in the slot as you tighten the knobs to hold the featherboard in place firmly. If you aren't able to tighten the knobs sufficiently, first make sure that the wedge locks are expanding as you tighten the knobs. If they are, you could try roughing up the edges of the blocks a bit with sandpaper. This really shouldn't be necessary, though.

If there's a problem with the wedge-lock blocks or if you can't make the featherboard work with this saw for some reason, contact our Customer Service Department online at: http://www.kregtool.com/Customer-Service-Serve.html or by calling 1-800-447-8638.

KregRep



KregRep said:

The Wedge Lock blocks should snug down in the slot as you tighten the knobs to hold the featherboard in place firmly. If you aren't able to tighten the knobs sufficiently, first make sure that the wedge locks are expanding as you tighten the knobs. If they are, you could try roughing up the edges of the blocks a bit with sandpaper. This really shouldn't be necessary, though.

If there's a problem with the wedge-lock blocks or if you can't make the featherboard work with this saw for some reason, contact our Customer Service Department online at: http://www.kregtool.com/Customer-Service-Serve.html or by calling 1-800-447-8638.

KregRep

Thank you for the suggestion. I applied more pressure to the knobs and the featherboard locked in place. I was afraid of applying to much pressure. The featherboard did not include any instructions so I didn't know what to do. I would like to add that I am very satisfied with your line of tools. Keep up the good work.

You could also place a piece of tape on one side of the blocks if a little loose.Have a good day.

I have had the opposite problem getting them to release. Which was a known problem.

Thanks to all of my Kreg friends. I have it now and I'm off and running.

Charles,

The fasterner only needs to be snugged-up, (finger tight), to keep the tool from slippage.

Over-tighening isn't necessary-- it only makes it more difficult to loosen. 

Adding masking tape to one vertical face of the slide-bar, as suggested, is a good idea---it may be necessary then the miter slot as been waxed.

PS---

If insufficient space does not allow the use of ''tape'', along the side of the bar,

clean the surface areas, (remove the wax, oils, sawdust, or the like), from the miter slot using a mineral spirits dampened cloth, allow to dry and re-insert the feather board bars/blocks into the miter slot.



Ken Darga said:

Charles,

The fasterner only needs to be snugged-up, (finger tight), to keep the tool from slippage.

Over-tighening isn't necessary-- it only makes it more difficult to loosen. 

Adding masking tape to one vertical face of the slide-bar, as suggested, is a good idea---it may be necessary then the miter slot as been waxed.

Gary, 

Place a metal ''flat'' washer under the end of the knob---

so the knob rotates on the surface of the washer.

Fender washers are handy---clamping pressures are distributed to a larger surface area. 

In some applications, a nylon washer is beneficial over a metal washer.

(When tightening the knob, the friction between the knob and the plastic surface of the feather board increases, and requires additional rotating force to loosen).

Generally, I've found that ''finger-tight'' was adequate. 

I prefer knobs with wing or T-style feature, to a round knurled type, for such clamping applications.


Gary roofner said:

I have had the opposite problem getting them to release. Which was a known problem.

I came across this post from 2013 in researching what sounded like the exact same problem. 

After reading the replies that explained that only "hand tightening" should be needed, I realized that the wedge locks wern't expanding at all.  I had assembled the featherboard with the wedge locks upside down!  It doesn't look wrong to the newbie, but the wedge locks don't expand and the whole assembly slides. 

Once I flipped the two wedge locks over, the featherboard works great.  Hand tightening the knobs does indeed secure the assembly in the miter slot.

Thought I'd share this for the next person.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

Forum

Hard time pocketing 2x4 2 Replies

Hi all,Fairly new kreg user but have had no issues with past small projects using 1x4, 1x6,etc.  Starting a laundry pedestal build that uses 2x4 with pocket holes on te cross braces for top and bottom.  Setting jig on 1-1/2 and setting collar as I…Continue

Started by Heather Mesa in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by Ken Kortch Sep 14.

Hanging Project Center

Has anyone found a good solution for hanging the Kreg Project center when it is not in use?Continue

Started by EJ Kenney in Beginners' Zone Sep 4.

Product Reviews

My K4 Master System

I picked up the K4MS from Home Depot about 3 months ago, I was looking for a small filing cabinet for under my desk and nothing I looked at would fit or they wanted big money for it, my wife said “why don’t you just build your own then you will…

Continue

Posted by Randy W. Lush on August 25, 2019 at 12:30pm

K5 Review

I really like the k5 it is faster to change from different size of screws. I hesitated to update because of some of the reviews about the dust collection hook up. That to me one of the improvements it works perfect no dust to cleanup .…

Continue

Posted by Gary roofner on April 5, 2019 at 10:02am

© 2019   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_