Kreg Owners' Community

I've just started to notice that many of the plugs I try to insert into the pocket holes do not want to slide in freely as they did once. Anyone know of a reason this might be happening? With wear does the drill bit get narrower?

Views: 6477

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The plugs can vary a little bit depending on the moisture content. I've found if you put them in the microwave for a few seconds it sucks the moisture right out making them shrink a little. Sounds odd but it works great.
I totally agree, they are probably "wet" from humdity in the air and they just swelled a tiny bit.
Thanks, guys. Makes sense. I'll try it.
mr. pensavalle

Why use kreg plugs i'm not trying to be a smart #$% but i have been useing wood pouty for a long time but there is a down side that i have learned after sanding and stain i have to get the plyurethane on or some time's it well fall out.
dave
I'm not sure I understand your question, David. I think the plugs are the neatest and most efficient way to fill the pocket holes. Do you mean that when you use the plugs they have a tendency to fall out during final finishing? Are you using glue when inserting the plugs? I have not done a comparison, but it seems to me that the amount of filler you need to close the pocket holes would be time consuming and expensive.....plus you have the possibilty of shrinking depending on what filler you use.

By the way to the earlier posts regarding the plugs that would not go into th holes, moisture must have been the problem. I tried the microwave trick and it worked. Funny how some plugs wll absorb moisture more than others.



David Dean said:
mr. pensavalle

Why use kreg plugs i'm not trying to be a smart #$% but i have been useing wood pouty for a long time but there is a down side that i have learned after sanding and stain i have to get the plyurethane on or some time's it well fall out.
dave
no i have always used wood putty and never used plugs at all next time when I'm at lowe's i'll get some and see hal well they work.
thanks dave
Dave,

See my topic "using the Kreg plugs". I found out that the plugs come in one length and that length is to allow them to be use in 2 x 4 lumber. If you are using anything like the normal 3/4" lumber, you have to lop off about 3/16 to 1/4 inch off the blunt end or be prepared to use a chisel or a lot of sanding. I found the easiest way for me was to use my stationary scroll saw to do the trimming. Watch the fingers......LOL. Another down side is that you might not be able to find plugs in matching wood or wood that will stain up the same as your project wood. However if your plugs are placed well, it can add an appealing look to your project. I don't think that Kreg offers it, but there are commercially available plug cutter jigs for pocket holes if you plan to do a lot of pocket hole joinery or if you want to guarntee that your plugs are from the same wood as you are using.

I hope the added information helps.

Andy
Dave:
I agree with you about "WATCHING THE FINGERS" when cutting off the blunt end of plugs. I cut plugs on my band saw using a pair of pliars to firmly grip the tapered end of the plug. I also make sure the entire plug is laying flat on the band saw table when cutting it to keep it straight during the cutting process. Finally, It is a good idea to wear eye protection because the part being cut off can snap and fly back towards your face.
Paul H.

Andrew Pensavalle said:
Dave,

See my topic "using the Kreg plugs". I found out that the plugs come in one length and that length is to allow them to be use in 2 x 4 lumber. If you are using anything like the normal 3/4" lumber, you have to lop off about 3/16 to 1/4 inch off the blunt end or be prepared to use a chisel or a lot of sanding. I found the easiest way for me was to use my stationary scroll saw to do the trimming. Watch the fingers......LOL. Another down side is that you might not be able to find plugs in matching wood or wood that will stain up the same as your project wood. However if your plugs are placed well, it can add an appealing look to your project. I don't think that Kreg offers it, but there are commercially available plug cutter jigs for pocket holes if you plan to do a lot of pocket hole joinery or if you want to guarntee that your plugs are from the same wood as you are using.

I hope the added information helps.

Andy
Have you guys seen the video where they trim the plugs (after gluing them in the hole) with a trim router and a flush bit? To get into tight corners, you need an offset trim router, which I don't have (yet). Looks pretty easy, though.
I did see that but just never tried it. I can see where tight corners could be a problem. I wonder if one of the new oscilating "Multi Tools " would work?
Jesse McNew said:
Have you guys seen the video where they trim the plugs (after gluing them in the hole) with a trim router and a flush bit? To get into tight corners, you need an offset trim router, which I don't have (yet). Looks pretty easy, though.

Here it is, Jesse!

I built a small miter box that is held in y bench vise by a T shaped tongue. I use a small flush trim saw to trim the plugs down to size. Very smooth, fast and safe!

Paul Hughes said:
Dave:
I agree with you about "WATCHING THE FINGERS" when cutting off the blunt end of plugs. I cut plugs on my band saw using a pair of pliars to firmly grip the tapered end of the plug. I also make sure the entire plug is laying flat on the band saw table when cutting it to keep it straight during the cutting process. Finally, It is a good idea to wear eye protection because the part being cut off can snap and fly back towards your face.
Paul H.

Andrew Pensavalle said:
Dave,

See my topic "using the Kreg plugs". I found out that the plugs come in one length and that length is to allow them to be use in 2 x 4 lumber. If you are using anything like the normal 3/4" lumber, you have to lop off about 3/16 to 1/4 inch off the blunt end or be prepared to use a chisel or a lot of sanding. I found the easiest way for me was to use my stationary scroll saw to do the trimming. Watch the fingers......LOL. Another down side is that you might not be able to find plugs in matching wood or wood that will stain up the same as your project wood. However if your plugs are placed well, it can add an appealing look to your project. I don't think that Kreg offers it, but there are commercially available plug cutter jigs for pocket holes if you plan to do a lot of pocket hole joinery or if you want to guarntee that your plugs are from the same wood as you are using.

I hope the added information helps.

Andy

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

Forum

Free Track Horse & Extension Brackets with Purchase of ACS

Seems like I always buy to soon and miss the free stuff!! Just bought mine in August.…Continue

Started by Robert P Trower in Other Kreg® Products Oct 7.

Piston Support for my Farmhouse cabinet 2 Replies

I have built a large Farmhouse cabinet for our kitchen using pocket holes of course. LOL. I used a 48" piano hinge for the 23"x57" door (an old window I found at the local antique shop).I want to add pistons or some other method to hold the window…Continue

Started by Ed Merrill in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by Ed Merrill Oct 5.

Product Reviews

My K4 Master System

I picked up the K4MS from Home Depot about 3 months ago, I was looking for a small filing cabinet for under my desk and nothing I looked at would fit or they wanted big money for it, my wife said “why don’t you just build your own then you will…

Continue

Posted by Randy W. Lush on August 25, 2019 at 12:30pm

K5 Review

I really like the k5 it is faster to change from different size of screws. I hesitated to update because of some of the reviews about the dust collection hook up. That to me one of the improvements it works perfect no dust to cleanup .…

Continue

Posted by Gary roofner on April 5, 2019 at 10:02am

© 2019   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_