Kreg Owners' Community

I recently bought the micro jig for 1/2 inch material.  I've never got it to work correctly and I've followed the directions to the letter.  I've tried both 1 inch and 3/4 inch screws.  My screws are not coming out in the center of the workpiece and usually they through my work piece..  I tried the Kreg tech support but was practically insulted and told my material wasn't 1/2 inch thick.  Has anyone else had this issue?  I have the regular size jig and have never had a problem but the micro jig has not really served me well.  I look forward to solutions to my problem.

Views: 4578

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I too have the same problem. Just purchased it and was testing. I Google the problem and here I am. Will call tomorrow. My wood is 1/2" and the screw is coming too close to the edge.



Al Partyka said:

I too have the same problem. Just purchased it and was testing. I Google the problem and here I am. Will call tomorrow. My wood is 1/2" and the screw is coming too close to the edge.

Good Luck, when I called Kreg they practically called me stupid.  We found that if you shim the jig out with an ice cream stick the holes come out better.....I really expected more from Kreg

Hi Tony, if your stock is a MEASURED 1/2" thick, it doesn't sound like the guide is bottomed out in the jig. I'd suggest checking the stock with a caliper.

John,   Do you work for Kreg?  That was about the first answer I got when I called....Anyone wise enough to consider this product knows how to measure the wood and determine it's thickness.  Of course it's 1/2".  When you drill the pilot holes they do not come out center of the wood like the regular JIG does....shim it...and it works...but one shouldn't have to do that.  And yes...the guide is completely to the bottom...I explained that when I first called with the issue but to no avail...I've just had to live with it.  Sadly, some friends have not bought the smaller JIG because of the that issue...3/4 stock????  works great if I need to place two srews close together because the wood is more narrow than normal.....just doesn't work will with 1/2" thick stock...

NOT HARDLY!!!
Sorry, just trying to help.

I find this statement somewhat arguable

"Anyone wise enough to consider this product knows how to measure the wood and determine it's thickness."

 


Tony Lawson said:

John,   Do you work for Kreg?  That was about the first answer I got when I called....Anyone wise enough to consider this product knows how to measure the wood and determine it's thickness.  Of course it's 1/2".  When you drill the pilot holes they do not come out center of the wood like the regular JIG does....shim it...and it works...but one shouldn't have to do that.  And yes...the guide is completely to the bottom...I explained that when I first called with the issue but to no avail...I've just had to live with it.  Sadly, some friends have not bought the smaller JIG because of the that issue...3/4 stock????  works great if I need to place two srews close together because the wood is more narrow than normal.....just doesn't work will with 1/2" thick stock...

Gentlemen - Do we have to separate you two?

SUGGESTION: Could someone take a few pictures to illustrate this problem and then we all could weight in. . .

I didn't mean to flame anyone, but I was very disappointed with Kreg when I paid 50 bucks for this new item and it didn't work very well...When I called Kreg and explained my issue....I was practically insulted by saying I couldn't read directions.....If I can this week I would be glad to take some pictures.....It's obvious that other users are having the same issues.....and to John....I appreciate your willingness to help and apologize if I sounded rash but it's been a long time since my original post and to go over again everything I had heard in the past just really got me going......Partyka....do you still have the pieces you were working on?  If you can you can probably submit pictures quicker than I can.....

What has Kreg told you about this problem?

Al Partyka said:

I too have the same problem. Just purchased it and was testing. I Google the problem and here I am. Will call tomorrow. My wood is 1/2" and the screw is coming too close to the edge.

Tony,

I'm sorry for the experience that you have had with our company and would like to sincerely apologize.  As far as the issue you are experiencing with the Micro Jig I was curious if you were setting your depth collar for 5/8"?  Due to your message we started looking and noticed that the special instructions for working with 1/2" material was left out of some units.  If you received one of these that did not have the instructions, you would not be made aware of the small change that needs to be made when working with this material hence causing the problem you are encountering.  Setting your depth collar to the 5/8" setting and using the 3/4" screw you should have the desired results and not have any other problems.  If this is not the case please let us know.

I will try that.  Thanks for the suggestion....that is far more than I got 2 years ago....I have not been using this jig because I was having to shim it out.....I will post my results later today....

KregCS said:

Tony,

I'm sorry for the experience that you have had with our company and would like to sincerely apologize.  As far as the issue you are experiencing with the Micro Jig I was curious if you were setting your depth collar for 5/8"?  Due to your message we started looking and noticed that the special instructions for working with 1/2" material was left out of some units.  If you received one of these that did not have the instructions, you would not be made aware of the small change that needs to be made when working with this material hence causing the problem you are encountering.  Setting your depth collar to the 5/8" setting and using the 3/4" screw you should have the desired results and not have any other problems.  If this is not the case please let us know.

Sorry - I must be extra dense this morning but I don't see how the depth setting is going to change the point of exit on the screw.. The angle is fixed so the point of entry into the stock needs to be changed to change the point of exit.

I'm curious too. I called my dad and he is trying his because I will not be off work until later today.  I will try to post some pictures later today. We both bought ours at the same time and both worked off center of the workpiece.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Popular Posts & Projects 

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

Forum

Replacing existing slides but cannot remove drawer front

The Kreg slides are made to work with new drawers before putting on the drawer front. In my situation, I cannot remove the existing fronts which means when reversing the jig to hold the draw, it’s at an angle. Not sure what I should do to make them…Continue

Started by Jay Homeyer in General Woodworking Apr 25.

Parts

The Clamp anchor screw broke on my mobile project center.  How can I acquire a replacement?Continue

Started by Jon J Howard in Beginners' Zone Apr 20.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 4 Comments

© 2021   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_