Kreg Owners' Community

Welcome to the Kreg Owners' Community!

This thread is the best place to introduce yourself and let other Community members get to know you. Please include your name, where you're from, your experience building with wood, why you joined this Community, and any other interesting facts about yourself. Also, feel free to share links to your blog, personal website, etc.

Once you've introduced yourself, be sure to check out Helpful Tips for New Members.

We hope that you find great use and enjoyment from the Kreg Owners' Community!

-KregRep

Views: 76989

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello and Welcome Carlos

The Kreg tool is ideal for use with MDF, just ensure you are using the correct screws for the material.

There is a wealth of information on this site regarding the use of a variety of materials.

Look forward to seeing some of your creations.

Regards

Robert Brennan 

Hello from the little slip of American soil called the Eastern Shore of DelMarVa!!  I am VERY new to woodworking.  I watched a few videos (Jeff Devlin and the like) and got the urge to buy a Kreg Jig.  I call it a gateway "drug" since I used it to build the 2x4 workbench I got it in my head there isn't anything I can't build lol.  I have since gotten a table saw, jig saw, skillsaw ... and waiting on the miter saw thats on backorder at Harbor Freight lol.

Wonderful product from Kreg I am so looking forward to the other things I can build ... and the stuff I can learn here.

Thank you Robert, I will try to find the information regarding MDF & Kreg tools...  I have already posted the pics of my last job, it was made with MDF...

Best regards

Carlos Calvo

Robert Brennan said:

Hello and Welcome Carlos

The Kreg tool is ideal for use with MDF, just ensure you are using the correct screws for the material.

There is a wealth of information on this site regarding the use of a variety of materials.

Look forward to seeing some of your creations.

Regards

Robert Brennan 

Hello, my name is Jorge Nilton and I live in the city of Patos, Paraíba State, Brazil. I am the son of a cabinetmaker and enjoy working with wood. I bought the Kreg jig to facilitate my work. Would appreciate tips from anyone in the community. I am available for friendship. email: ofjniltonfigueiredo@ig.com.br.
A hug to everyone.

Good Morning, Carlos. I havent used MDF but in a few projects.  I am now building a project from Wood Magazine that is 90% MDF. Problem is sealing the edge of MDF before painting. The edges are rounded over and sanded to 220 grit. I cannot get good coverage on the edges. It continues to show up rough.  Any suggestions?

Carlos Calvo said:

Hello, My name is Carlos Calvo, I live in Brazil, São Paulo, I have a small shop, for while I do work only with MDF, I want to improve it, recently i bought Kreg Jig Jr...

Good morning Frank, I have never done any project with rounded edges on MDF.. when needed I have used playwood, rounded the edges and covered with plastiform...  

I have already posted pics with my last project..

Carlos Calvo

Hi Frank - MDF does like to fuzz up after machining. I did a bunch of kitchen cabinet doors with raised mdf panels and ran into that issue. I had the best luck sealing the machined edges with an oil base primer.. actually more of an alkyd primer as it was, in fact, Zinserr cover Stain. It dries ready for topcoat in about an hour and can be sanded at that point.  I would just hit those edges with a 180 grit sanding sponge an knock off the hardened fuzz. I think going all the way to 220 on mdf is kind of an exercise in futility. Good Luck

F.M. "Frank" Thornal said:

Good Morning, Carlos. I havent used MDF but in a few projects.  I am now building a project from Wood Magazine that is 90% MDF. Problem is sealing the edge of MDF before painting. The edges are rounded over and sanded to 220 grit. I cannot get good coverage on the edges. It continues to show up rough.  Any suggestions?

Carlos Calvo said:

Hello, My name is Carlos Calvo, I live in Brazil, São Paulo, I have a small shop, for while I do work only with MDF, I want to improve it, recently i bought Kreg Jig Jr...

Hello, my name is Roger and I'm from southwest La.(Beauregard parish). My wife bought the Kreg Jig for father's day a few YEARS ago. Last night I took it out of the box and started experimenting. I had forgotten that I had it and needed to make some solid joints on a project my son and I have started. Boy, have I had my head in the sand or what? I'm really really new with this, so will probably been asking for advise from you "experienced" Jig owners in the days/weeks ahead.                                                                                                                                   Thanks for accepting me into the group. Looking forward getting to know the group and any and all advise you all can throw my way!

Thanks again

Hello Frank,

I saw your post to Carlos regarding sealing MDF.

This information may be of some interest to you in your MDF work

I posted some MDF Kitchen cupboard inserts some time ago, these I sealed with a product called sanding sealer. It was effective in sealing the edges quite effectively.

You may also want to consider using HDF instead, the specs for HDF are much the same as MDF apart from the density  characteristics are better.

Regards

Robert Brennan 

Thanks for all the good suggestions. This is my first major project with MDF and it's all new to me. I really appreciate all that responded.

Hi, My name is Stephanie and I live in the Vancouver Washington area.  I have just starting getting into workworking.  I am just starting to learn how to use all of the tools in my mini garage workshop.  I am excited to improve my skills and be able to make things for my house instead of having to buy them in a store.  I just recently acquired the Kreg Jig and am looking forward to using it for many of the projects I want to do.

Welcome Stephanie.  I am a beginner woodworker as well.  I am learning how to use my tools as well.  The Kreg Jig is awesome!  I LOVE IT!  I know that you will love it, too!  The people in this community are friendly and very knowledgeable.  they will answer any questions that you may have.  Happy Woodworking! :)  Lorrie

Stephanie H said:

Hi, My name is Stephanie and I live in the Vancouver Washington area.  I have just starting getting into workworking.  I am just starting to learn how to use all of the tools in my mini garage workshop.  I am excited to improve my skills and be able to make things for my house instead of having to buy them in a store.  I just recently acquired the Kreg Jig and am looking forward to using it for many of the projects I want to do.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_