Kreg Owners' Community

I am going to be building a 8 foot octagon picnic table this winter for a relative. Is there a formula to use to get the octagon started or do I need to scale it out and go from there?

Views: 481

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

found this on yahoo. maybe it will help you. i think if you know the diameter you want to make the table it should help.

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/62671.html
HI Jens - Here's a calculator. Just enter any parameter and hit "calculate"
To try again, hit "delete" to clear the values.
http://rechneronline.de/pi/octagon.php
o yeah thats alot easier. have to save that one for myself.



John Schaben said:
HI Jens - Here's a calculator. Just enter any parameter and hit "calculate"
To try again, hit "delete" to clear the values.
http://rechneronline.de/pi/octagon.php


Brandon Maxwell said:
o yeah thats alot easier. have to save that one for myself.
Life is to simple thanks for the web site



John Schaben said:
HI Jens - Here's a calculator. Just enter any parameter and hit "calculate"
To try again, hit "delete" to clear the values.
http://rechneronline.de/pi/octagon.php
Thanks John it makes life easy
Hmm, I like the graphic display. Looks like either will work for you.
I think I'm in heaven now to new tools (calculators that is)

John Schaben said:
Hmm, I like the graphic display. Looks like either will work for you.
I am new to this forum but have an answer also.....if you have a construction calculator it is much easier. Put in the dimension you want the octogon to be in total width from one side to the other.....with a construction caculator you can do this in feet and inches.....times this dimension by .4142 and it will give the length of the individual legs (8).....long point to long point. Example.....if you want a a octogon which is 4 feet across....the measurement on each of the 8 legs would be 1foot 7 7/8 inch from long point to long point. When assembled your top would be 4 feet across.
Thanks all you have to do is buy me a calculator for my upcoming birthday and Christmas present. Just kidding but thanks anyway

greg darrow said:
I am new to this forum but have an answer also.....if you have a construction calculator it is much easier. Put in the dimension you want the octogon to be in total width from one side to the other.....with a construction caculator you can do this in feet and inches.....times this dimension by .4142 and it will give the length of the individual legs (8).....long point to long point. Example.....if you want a a octogon which is 4 feet across....the measurement on each of the 8 legs would be 1foot 7 7/8 inch from long point to long point. When assembled your top would be 4 feet across.
http://buster2058.netfirms.com/octagon/calc/octagon_layout_calc.htm

Jens,

This webpage I use to calculate the length of each piece. Hope you can use it. It works great for me.
This may be a bit off thread but here's a little trick for translating decimal numbers to fractional.
Multiply the decimal number by an arbitrary number you want for the denomonator of the fraction, I usually use 32 as it's easy to reduce. The nearest whole number of the result becomes the numerator of the fraction.
example: decimal 0.163 multiplied by 32 is 5.216. Therefore the fractional equivalent is 5/32.
or 0.181 times 32 is 5.792 or 6/32 which would be 3/16.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

Forum

Rip-cut ACS plunge saw

Just got a rip-cut and installed my Bosch saw haven't used it yet but saw was a good fit. Got the original ripcut and didn't really like it had trouble cutting straight. New one has several improvements should make it work much better. especially…Continue

Started by William Burt Brown in General Woodworking Mar 17.

Is the screw driver impact drill rater?

Is the screw driver impact drill rated?Continue

Started by Bob Naylor in Beginners' Zone Mar 10.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 4 Comments

© 2021   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_