Kreg Owners' Community

im looking into buying a multi-tool and what comes to mind would be the dremel http://www.homedepot.ca/product/dremel-multi-max-kit/916712#BVRRWid...

and rockwell http://www.lowes.ca/products/toolguide.aspx

both are on sale right now for $99 and im hoping to get one before the end of this weekend.

the fein brand is definitely not included because of its price --- im just a weekend woodworker/DIYer so a tool that cost that much is not necessary.

anyone can share insight and infos comparing the 2 products i mentioned above?

would really appreciate it coming from those who have used it.

thank you.

Views: 2340

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Has a lot more uses than just grout. I've used mine for outlet openings in drywall (makes a Rotozip look like somebody took an axe to it), removing window glazing or caulking, detail sanding.... list goes on and on but the Fein is priced way over a DIY'ers reasonable budget. If ya got the cash, go for it, I'm jealous. About a year ago CPO had a Fein Top Kit for $200. This was when Fein was just coming out with the new improved model with toolless blade changing. I had just got my Multi-Max and passed on it but have been kicking myself since. Multi Max is all the tool I need but the Fein for that price would have been sweet.

Joey said:

yup, its an occasional tool to use. not really an everyday thing like for work or anything.

if i work installing or regrouting tiles, i probably would get a fein.

most of the guys i asked and mentions a fein works in the tiling business.

They used to have specials every month and it was called the tool club sears would send specials for tool club members the month before I bought a compresser and 18 gauge nailgun and received a $10 gift card.  Next month they had the multi tool for $79 with a coupon for $10 and with the previous months $10 gift card I got my multi tool for $59. They haven't done that in a while now just rewards money builds up on tool purchases.

Jim Taylor said:
Hey Gary Roofner, what is the tool club card you speak of? Is that at Sears or what? Always like to save money, especially now!

Gary roofner said:

Sears has on sale sometimes $69 more powerfull than dremel. If you have tool club card , I got mine for $59

Regular price $79. Don't buy battery. They don't hold a charge very long.

I just acquired a Porter Cable 12v multi-tool.  It is a tool-free (drill term - keyless chuck) tool with two batteries, charger and one of each accessory.  I believe the extra cost is worth the $$.

great to hear about your purchases guys!

looks like every manufacturer has its own multi-tool.

by the way, i was checking the roto-zip at lowes as well. it works great but wont compare to the job done by the multi-tools. its more cleaner and precise, i think.

My brother bought one for me, it was labeled "Reconditioned by Dremel".  I think he bought it through Amazon for around $60.  I've been giving the tool hard use scraping paint on the outside of my old house.  The rigid scraping blade with the tool set at high speed actually gets hot-enough that it softens paint, and I can roll it right up.  It has been a great help getting paint out of corners and off decorative features.  The tool gets pretty hot, and if I didn't wear gloves, I'd probably burn my hand when I get near the exhaust.  I've also found just recently that the speed control has started acting-up.  When set at maximum speed, 10, the tool will run for a while, then slow down almost to zero then speed-up again.  The rotary speed control wheel seems to be loose (if I hold the wheel with a thumb the speed doesn't change), and I'll have to open the tool and see if something has unscrewed inside or melted.

Hi Tom - running hot is also an issue I noticed with mine. I think one contributing factor is the air vents on the body are easily covered by your hand when using it. Some ergonomic engineer dropped the ball on that one.

Incidentally, the Wagner paint eater does a great job getting old paint off then would just need the dremel in the tight spots.

Tom Fitzsimmons said:

My brother bought one for me, it was labeled "Reconditioned by Dremel".  I think he bought it through Amazon for around $60.  I've been giving the tool hard use scraping paint on the outside of my old house.  The rigid scraping blade with the tool set at high speed actually gets hot-enough that it softens paint, and I can roll it right up.  It has been a great help getting paint out of corners and off decorative features.  The tool gets pretty hot, and if I didn't wear gloves, I'd probably burn my hand when I get near the exhaust.  I've also found just recently that the speed control has started acting-up.  When set at maximum speed, 10, the tool will run for a while, then slow down almost to zero then speed-up again.  The rotary speed control wheel seems to be loose (if I hold the wheel with a thumb the speed doesn't change), and I'll have to open the tool and see if something has unscrewed inside or melted.
I bit the bullet and bought a Paint Shaver Pro to remove the paint from most of the clapboards area.  I'll probably sell the Paint Shaver when I'm finished with the job--it's a big investment.
Hi Tom - I looked at the paint shavers... ouch. If I had a large house and needed to do the whole thing, I would probably do the same thing you did though. Paint eater is only about $50 though and does a pretty decent job on smaller projects. I like it because the rpm is much lower than an angle grinder thus much more controllable although the goofy power cord arrangement likes to put the power cord into the disc. :(

Tom Fitzsimmons said:
I bit the bullet and bought a Paint Shaver Pro to remove the paint from most of the clapboards area.  I'll probably sell the Paint Shaver when I'm finished with the job--it's a big investment.

Joey,

The ''Roto-Zip'' is a very handy tool also.

The variable-speed model is a big plus.

I've had a variable speed Roto-Zip, for quite some time---have used it countless times for many tasks, achieving excellent results---cutting, grinding, sanding, shaping various materials.

I have several of the associated available accessories.

The flex-shaft is a great accessory to have---comes in vary handy for many jobs where the Dremel rotary tools is a little on the small side.

It has come in handy for many remodel/rehab projects.

Need to make long rip cuts in flexible plastic sheet panels?

The Roto-Zip is the tool---(use a pulling motion vs a pushing motion like with an electric hand saw).

Need to cut pipe/tubing with a rotary tool?

The Roto-Zip is a great little rotary tool for many uses.

I keep mine nearby in an ''at-the-ready'' mode.

The Multi-Max (R) tool is a different design of a tool and will perform other tasks, that other tools can't perform, or will do better.

Remember the 'ol saying, ''use the right tool for the job''.

Do your research into a specific tools uses, get familiar with them, before making the purchase.

Joey said:

great to hear about your purchases guys!

looks like every manufacturer has its own multi-tool.

by the way, i was checking the roto-zip at lowes as well. it works great but wont compare to the job done by the multi-tools. its more cleaner and precise, i think.

Tom,

Use a slower speed setting for the scraping tool.

The ''high'' setting will over-heat the unit and cause permanent damage to the tool.

If you were using a hand scraper, removing paint, at a ''very high speed'', the metal would get hot, caused by friction heat, the paint would soften, many even form bubbles, and your body joints would wear out pdq.

DO NOT cover or block the air vents during operation.

Air-flow is needed to keep the components cool and from overheating.

If you covered the front of your automobile grill or radiator with a tarp and drove it real fast for an extended period of time---the engine and controls would rapidly overheat and result in engine and components failure.

Become familiar with the manufactures operating recommendations, setforth in their instruction manual.

Dremel makes an excellent and reliable tool.

Tom Fitzsimmons said:

Ken, very true that the Dremel gets pretty hot when I scrape at high speed.  However I was able to get all the tight corners scraped using the tool, and it was a great help getting down to the bare wood as I wanted to do.  I agree that the air has to be kept moving through the tool, but have trouble keeping my gloved hands off the side vents and the back vent near the power cord.  I find the paint softens at lower than maximum speed, too, but it takes longer to soften.  In my case, the benefit of getting the paint off was worth the price of the Dremel, even if I have damaged the tool.

I took the cover off the tool yesterday to get a look at the speed control wheel.  The speed control is on a circuit board, and appears to be glued-on.  There are lots of resistors and condensers on the board, too.  I couldn't see why the wheel had come loose, so I just put the cover back on.

One problem with the scraping I did with the Dremel is that it burnished the wood and I had to sand it afterwards to take off the gloss and make the wood able to be stained or painted.

Tom,

For some paint removal tasks, I've found a rotating tool, such as the 3M 5" dia paint removal pad, fitted onto an angle grinder or right angle drill, a very effective method for fast paint removal---

if necessary, followed by sanding to smooth the surface(s).

The 3M pads are available, fitted with a short shaft for use in a drill chuck, or with a metal pad for attachment to an angle grinder.

A slower speed is more effective for paint removal vs a high-speed setting.

The Ryobi battery powered angle drill runs at a  lower rpm, a very effective tool for paint or rust removal.

This lighter weight tool is especially handy when sanding larger vertical and overhead surface areas (such as soffits).  I've found it more efficient over other tools, for paint removal.

A right angle grinder is also effective, for paint removal---in many cases, I've found it to be more effecient to a right angle drill.  A right angle tool is easier to operate, resulting less operator fatigue. 

The Ryobi battery operated right angle grinder is very handy---it runs at a slower rpm vs an electric corded models.  One can control the speed by starting and stopping or slowing the rotation by use the trigger switch feature---speed can be control by the using the trigger switch---touching the switch for stop and go.

With corded electric models, you need to wait a few seconds for the rotation to stop.

Corded electric angle grinders generally run at a higher rpm vs the cordless battery operated models.

A slower rpm speed is more effective.

I use a separate adjustable speed control switch, to obtain a slower rpm with some higher speed rpm tools.

(Rockler offers a speed control switch, marketed for use with single-speed routers, to obtain slower cutting speeds, when cutting hard woods and larger dia router bits).

I've refinished old concrete steps to expose the embedded aggregate, making the steps look like ''new'', using a cupped concrete stone (available from Dewalt), fitted onto an angle grinder.

The cordless right angle grinder has the right speed, for this task.

The corded model has a higher rpm---however, when connected to the speed reducer, it performed better.

''Speed it key'' to avoid ''glazing'' or a ''burnished'' surface.

Grinding cement will result it lots of dust---wearing a dust mask is a ''must''.  I keep the concrete surface wetted, to minimize dust.

I also set-up a shop vac nearby---with the hose end fitted with a funnel shaped object---that sucks up most of the dust---a ''must-have'' tool.

Works for me.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_