One day at work, my boss suggested that our concepting room needed a workstation. A table devoted to the marketing/art departments to help on conceptual projects to bring new products and packaging designs to market. We already had a large section of countertop in our photo studio, and I suggested we could use that as a table top. The original idea was then to purchase a couple of short file cabinets to place underneath it like a desk. However, the price tag on a file cabinet like that turned out to be $450 each, and we'd need two.
I then raised my hand with a suggestion.
"What if I were to build you a couple of wooden stands? It would only cost the company roughly $300 total, and would look a lot nicer than metal file cabinets."
Our VP of marketing said go for it, if I thought it wasn't a hassle to build. I quickly got started. I went back to my favorite Menard's and picked up large planks of aspen. I used it last time on my DVD shelves, and thought it would be nice to use on this project too.
When I got my Kreg Jig, it came with a set of plans for other projects, and I took careful examination of the student desk. It's practically what I needed for my workstation project, so I modified the measurements a bit to suit my needs on this project. Luckily for me, I can use Adobe Illustrator at work and redraw my plans and see what it will look like before I cut even one board.
I made my plans altered from the student desk to have shelves on both sides, since I knew people could/would walk around the workstation and utilize shelf space on both sides. I decided, since this was going to be huge when completed, that it was best to keep it in three sections, to be connected once I got them to my work. The sections came together nicely, and the middle piece, that I called the ladder, would connect the two sides together and give a LOT of strength to the table top.
After about three weeks of building, sanding, staining, and finishing, I completed my project and drove it to work. Thank God for pickup trucks, that's all I have to say on that. I showed up at our building and had them open one of the loading dock doors. The others were puzzled at what I was delivering. I had them forklift the three pieces to our concept room, with me following behind with my tools in hand. Once there, I had my fellow graphic artists help keep the three pieces in place while I screwed them all together.
We then set the countertop in place, measured to make sure it was centered, then Kreg screwed it secure. The finished piece was amazing. I took photos of it with our digital camera, and you can see them in the photo section. I emailed pics to my family, which had my brothers and father blown away. They wondered where this kid got the talent to build such a thing. "The Kreg Jig informercial" I told them. It was seriously that simple!
By the way, if you do the math, you'll note that I saved the company $600 by doing it this way. They got a much nicer product for one-third the cost. The Kreg Jig already paid for itself many times over.
One of the ends of the workstation.
Another shot during construction. You can see the "ladder" structure used to connect the two sides and support the top.
Here is a shot of all three together. I held them in place with Irwin clamps to see what they would eventually look like.
Here is the final picture, put in place and inside our concept room. This received many compliments from fellow employess as well as upper management.