Kreg Owners' Community

WHAT TABLE SAW DO YOU OWN ?AND WHAT DO YOU LIKE MOST ABOUT IT ? RATING OUT OF 5!

Views: 16537

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hare & Forbes.  4/5
I have the Ridgid R4510 also.  I can't rate it yet since it is brand new and I just assembled it.  It is my first table saw.  I looked hard at the Bosch, but was concerned about motor issues on the internet and the Ridgid seemed to be a close second contender.

I am looking at the PORTER-CABLE 15-Amp 10"" Table Saw PCB220TS.. anyone have any thoughts on this?

 

Hi Steven - coincidentally, I was just looking at one of those last week on one of my rare visits to a Lowes.

Seems like a nice saw, table is about average for saws of this class. Seemed stable enough but I wasn't able to try folding up the stand. The two things that struck me was the throat plate is horribly reminiscent of my old Ryobi. Very difficult to make a decent ZCI in the shop and not sure if they are available commercially. The other thing is the toolless removal replacement of the kickback pawls. Seemed awfully klutzy and took me a good bit of time to put back after I removed them. I think the blade guard is also supposed to be toolless but I was afraid to try that. Does look like the riving knife can be raised, lowered and removed without tools but didn't try that either.  The mechanism that clamps the riving knife also looks like it may interfere with a full, 8" dado set so this saw may be limited to a 6" set, not sure about that though.
Overall, I still prefer my 4510. The one feature I liked better than the Ridgid is the seperate adjustment handles and position locks for blade height and bevel.

 


Steven Croney said:

I am looking at the PORTER-CABLE 15-Amp 10"" Table Saw PCB220TS.. anyone have any thoughts on this?

 



John Schaben said:

Hi Steven - coincidentally, I was just looking at one of those last week on one of my rare visits to a Lowes.

Seems like a nice saw, table is about average for saws of this class. Seemed stable enough but I wasn't able to try folding up the stand. The two things that struck me was the throat plate is horribly reminiscent of my old Ryobi. Very difficult to make a decent ZCI in the shop and not sure if they are available commercially. The other thing is the toolless removal replacement of the kickback pawls. Seemed awfully klutzy and took me a good bit of time to put back after I removed them. I think the blade guard is also supposed to be toolless but I was afraid to try that. Does look like the riving knife can be raised, lowered and removed without tools but didn't try that either.  The mechanism that clamps the riving knife also looks like it may interfere with a full, 8" dado set so this saw may be limited to a 6" set, not sure about that though.

Steven Croney said:

I am looking at the PORTER-CABLE 15-Amp 10"" Table Saw PCB220TS.. anyone have any thoughts on this?

the dado is limited to 6".

The next table up from there I was looking at was the Rigid 4510..

I am trying to keep my cost down as much as possible.

The 4510 is also limited to a 6" dado set but I really haven't found that to be an issue as it will still half lap 2x4's and I rarely need a dado more than 3/4" deep. If I do, I can always finish it off with a router.

The 4510 has been a good saw for me, I have limited basement space further broken up by support posts. The ability to fold it up, roll it out of the way and move in the router table or miter saw has been a real plus. The dust collection is also very good as is the toolless removal of the blade guard and kickback pawls. I did pick up mine as a reconditioned unit from CPO for a little over $400. Didn't have the lifetime warranty but the feedback I'm hearing on that is that Ridgid has buried it in a thicket of paperwork so not sure how much value it really has.

EDIT - I see they went up to $439 but shipping is a flat rate $6.99 and depending on where you live you may or may not be liable for sales tax.

http://www.cpoprotools.com/factory-reconditioned-ridgid-zrr4510-10-...

Steven Croney said:



John Schaben said:

Hi Steven - coincidentally, I was just looking at one of those last week on one of my rare visits to a Lowes.

Seems like a nice saw, table is about average for saws of this class. Seemed stable enough but I wasn't able to try folding up the stand. The two things that struck me was the throat plate is horribly reminiscent of my old Ryobi. Very difficult to make a decent ZCI in the shop and not sure if they are available commercially. The other thing is the toolless removal replacement of the kickback pawls. Seemed awfully klutzy and took me a good bit of time to put back after I removed them. I think the blade guard is also supposed to be toolless but I was afraid to try that. Does look like the riving knife can be raised, lowered and removed without tools but didn't try that either.  The mechanism that clamps the riving knife also looks like it may interfere with a full, 8" dado set so this saw may be limited to a 6" set, not sure about that though.

Steven Croney said:

I am looking at the PORTER-CABLE 15-Amp 10"" Table Saw PCB220TS.. anyone have any thoughts on this?

the dado is limited to 6".

The next table up from there I was looking at was the Rigid 4510..

I am trying to keep my cost down as much as possible.

I understand your pains with zero clearance insert with my maketia 2705 only compaint I have with the saw.

The incra crosscut sled takes care of the problem in crosscutting. But the plate is the thickness of 1/4 plywood

Speaking of dado's, the Ridgid 4510 calls for a 6" dado set - Lowes and Home Depot don't even carry that size.  8" yes, but not 6".  Any thoughts on this?  Will the 8" work?  Or do I need to find a 6" set somewhere?

Hi Sue - to use the 8" set with much of a stack on it you will likely wipe out the clamping mechanism for the riving knife. Freud doesn't recommend 8" dado sets on any saw that cannot be converted to 220V, ie. universal motor saws which include virually all direct drive saws. I also suspect mfg are trying to manage warranty liabilities as most of the small saws are also limited by arbor length to a 3/4" stack while most dado sets will allow 7/8" and some to 15/16".
A 6" dado set is hardly a limitation anyway. I don't recall the last time I needed one deeper than 3/4" and a 6" dado set will allow about 1-1/2" depth of cut, 2" less than what your book says is max depth of cut.

I used to see 6" sets at Home Depot but no more. This is the set I opted for

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000223O8/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?p...

 

Not top of the line but not shabby either and didn't break the bank.


Sue Gililland said:

Speaking of dado's, the Ridgid 4510 calls for a 6" dado set - Lowes and Home Depot don't even carry that size.  8" yes, but not 6".  Any thoughts on this?  Will the 8" work?  Or do I need to find a 6" set somewhere?
I'm sure the one you reference will be fine - since I've never used one before I won't know the difference!  Thanks, and thanks for the information on where to purchase.

Just one thing, you do know you will need another throat plate for the dado set? The dado throat plate has a wider slot to allow for the wider dado set. Here's one source but you may be able to get it cheaper through Home Depot.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/dado-throat-plate-p-449420.html

Sue Gililland said:

I'm sure the one you reference will be fine - since I've never used one before I won't know the difference!  Thanks, and thanks for the information on where to purchase.
Nice saw, I have not used mine much since purchasing a Festool plunge cut saw.  The cut quality of this is far superior to any radial arm or table saw I have ever used.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

Forum

4" Dust Port for Kreg router table fence?

Finally installed a 4" dust collection system in my shop. I'd like to find a 4" collection port for my Kreg router table (PRS1045) fence. Anybody know where I can find such an animal or one that can be modified to fit?Thanks!Continue

Tags: port, collection, dust, fence, Router

Started by E M Hampton in Other Kreg® Products yesterday.

Kreg Circular Saw Track Guide Question

Hi all....Has anyone have experience using a Kreg circular saw track guide system for ripping long boards??? The boards would be 5 to 6 inches wide by 6 feet, I have a Bosch 4100 portable table saw. But ripping boards that length with a 45% angle…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Other Kreg® Products Oct 6.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2022   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_