Kreg Owners' Community

My first Kreg project is going to be the Kreg work bench.  I am making the bench exactly to the specs on the PDF.  But, I want to add locking casters.  Do I need to cut off the height of the casters from the legs of the bench so that the table top stays at the same height as listed in the plans, or does it not make a big difference?  I am using reclaimed pallet wood.  It's a bit of overkill, but the wood from these high-end pallets is Maple and White Oak.  Planed it down and it's like sheet-of-ice smooth.  I am taking pics as I go and will post later.

Views: 504

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We added locking casters to our workbench on two opposite corners, we did have to adjust for the height of the casters so the table wasn't too high.  I didn't know that pallets had maple and oak wood used on building them.

Suzy, thanks for the reply. Thats what I thought-I will make the necessary height allowance for the height of the casters. You said "We added locking casters to our workbench on two opposite corners"-does that mean you added 4 casters but only two of them were locking casters placed diagonally ?  

And yes, I got lucky with the pallets-my first attempt at reclaiming pallet wood I found a business that supplies high end snow plowing equipment to all the snow plow businesses in this northern IL area. Their pieces are very heavy and when shipped require extra heavy shipping containers and pallets. I know using White Oak and Maple for a utility work bench is a little bit of overkill but since this will be my first Kreg project I will make it a memorable one. I have 2 pics so far-one of the cut pieces after de-nailing ready for the planer and one after being planed ready for assembly. I'll try and post them. Really nice wood.

Jan, I don't think it's overkill, it's free wood and that is the best part of all is to recycle something that would have been tossed and possibly burned.  A work bench that looks nice isn't a bad thing at all in my opinion, I think it makes you want to work more.

Yes, we added four casters with only two locking.  The casters are 5" and can be purchased at Tractor Supply.  It might seem overkill to use 400 lbs per caster on a work bench but it was a good decision for us since we made our bench to fit a 3' x 5' x 2" thick laminate counter top that was someones island in their kitchen. 

It is extremely heavy and completely finished on the edges with rounded corners.  It is very comfortable to work at and the bottom shelf houses a miter saw, table saw, kreg foreman, and a router bench.  It rolls in and out of the garage real well and the two locking casters hold it perfectly.

Here is the link to the locking casters we purchased at the local tractor supply.  They should have the non locking ones that match.  There are plenty of casters at Lowe's as well.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/titan-casterstrade%3B-5-in-to...

I am jealous, that wood looks like it would make some beautiful furniture, imagine a farm dining table and benches?



Jan W. Nahorski said:

Suzy, thanks for the reply. Thats what I thought-I will make the necessary height allowance for the height of the casters. You said "We added locking casters to our workbench on two opposite corners"-does that mean you added 4 casters but only two of them were locking casters placed diagonally ?  

And yes, I got lucky with the pallets-my first attempt at reclaiming pallet wood I found a business that supplies high end snow plowing equipment to all the snow plow businesses in this northern IL area. Their pieces are very heavy and when shipped require extra heavy shipping containers and pallets. I know using White Oak and Maple for a utility work bench is a little bit of overkill but since this will be my first Kreg project I will make it a memorable one. I have 2 pics so far-one of the cut pieces after de-nailing ready for the planer and one after being planed ready for assembly. I'll try and post them. Really nice wood.

Jan, take a look at these casters my husband just showed me out of the Rockler catalog.  They lift up to lower the bench to the floor and they rise up to lift and move the bench.  I like these and they are on sale right now for a set of 4.  I like these and would have bought them if I had known about them.

http://www.rockler.com/workbench-caster-kit-4-pack

43501 - Workbench Locking Caster Kit (4 Pack)

Suzy, Thanks it looks like exactly what I need.



Suzy said:

Jan, take a look at these casters my husband just showed me out of the Rockler catalog.  They lift up to lower the bench to the floor and they rise up to lift and move the bench.  I like these and they are on sale right now for a set of 4.  I like these and would have bought them if I had known about them.

http://www.rockler.com/workbench-caster-kit-4-pack

43501 - Workbench Locking Caster Kit (4 Pack)

Re: casters noted above

The following comments are offered:

What's the total load of your workbench, and contents when its fully loaded?

Note the load capacity rating---"total load capacity 400lbs."

The caster description reads, "easy spin".

They'll spin easy under NO LOAD.

Will the casters swivel/pivot easily when fully loaded?

How much foot pressure is required to press the lever downward, so as to raise the load?

When only raising one leg of the workbench at a time, the structure will torque/twist.

You'll need to bend over and release the levers to lower the load.

Will the locking mechanism release slowly, or will the load suddenly drop to the floor---

better stand clear when that lever snaps!

Floor conditions

Is the floor smooth or rough?

Are there bumps, high and low spots?

Will the 2-3/8 dia wheels roll freely, ,when fully loaded, on the surfaces you plan to move the equipment?

Will you able to move a 400lb load over rough concrete with only 2-3/8" wheels?

Ken, I didn't see that it was only 400 lbs total for those casters above.  Had I purchased them I would have looked at them more closely, I guess I was excited because of the way they operate.  Jan I would go with a caster which would hold much more weight than those to allow for your leaning on the bench as well as anything you might add to it.  The casters I used are rated 400 lbs each and they roll beautifully in and out of it's space and even outside to the driveway, they are also 5" tall wheels.

Ken Darga said:

Re: casters noted above

The following comments are offered:

What's the total load of your workbench, and contents when its fully loaded?

Note the load capacity rating---"total load capacity 400lbs."

The caster description reads, "easy spin".

They'll spin easy under NO LOAD.

Will the casters swivel/pivot easily when fully loaded?

How much foot pressure is required to press the lever downward, so as to raise the load?

When only raising one leg of the workbench at a time, the structure will torque/twist.

You'll need to bend over and release the levers to lower the load.

Will the locking mechanism release slowly, or will the load suddenly drop to the floor---

better stand clear when that lever snaps!

Floor conditions

Is the floor smooth or rough?

Are there bumps, high and low spots?

Will the 2-3/8 dia wheels roll freely, ,when fully loaded, on the surfaces you plan to move the equipment?

Will you able to move a 400lb load over rough concrete with only 2-3/8" wheels?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

Forum

Pantry slides for heavy application

  Recently purchased two 96" tall pantry cabinets that are 23" deep that only came with two adjustable shelves and two fixed, (one at about 55" and one at the very bottom).  Shelf holes in the walls are drilled 2" O.C.  Like most store-bought…Continue

Tags: drawer, slides, pantry, pull-out, 75-Lb

Started by Paul Coon in General Woodworking Aug 11.

Miter Saw Recommendation

I’m looking to upgrade my miter saw. I’m willing to invest a good amount of money to get one with the precision pocket hole joinery requires. Would anyone like to offer a recommended model?

Started by Joe Racz in Beginners' Zone Jul 22.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 8 Comments

© 2021   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_