this is a great forum and checking out others fine projects is inspiring!
I have some comments on my new purchase the K4MS. I have not used yet but am sure will enjoy it as I am have used default a biscuit/ dovetail history.
- I took delivery from Sears online for 109 after discounts. I have been looking fo rsome time and really appreciated the Kreg history and USA manufacturing which i support. Appears to be some great engineering!
- I ordered the K3MS (looking at reviews) and got the K4 instead. Im ok with that as the handle position seems logical as the clamp area would interfere.
- The master kit also camer with the portable unit as a bonus.
- there are few screws with kit but I get it as to why... no big deal.
- Could have used another spacer block for thicker wood in kit when not using the base.
- The reinforced plastic looks great and seems durable.
- Have not downloaded yet but also appreciate the cabinetry download which I am anxiously awaiting.
- Very dissapointed in the following..
- the drill bit and probably the screw drivers are all China (mine was laying open form the flimsy oil soaked cardboard sleeve).
- The entire clamp assembly is made in China
- The screws are China
seems the only thinkg made in the USA is the plastic jigs???
Can't wait to use jig but really would have hoped the clamp and many other parts were NOT made in China, I think most would pay a little extra to have made in USA on this product and prouder to own..I wonder if the K3's were made in USA prior??.. maybe I will return if they were and are available. oh well..
Having Owned both styles of the jig, I have to say I still like the K3 clamp the best. Look at putting a large pannel of wood in the jig like say a shelf bottom that you want to edge band if this shelf is say 2' x 3' for a large cabinet, you can easily clamp it in place with the K3 but now try it in a K4 style, you must reac all the way around the pannel to clamp it in the middle of the pannle for drilling the mid holes.
Kreg had some complaints on the clamp pressure being week on the K3, I have not had any issues with mine.....