Kreg Owners' Community

I am picking up my Kreg Precision Router Table System tomorrow and I'm new to woodworking so I need advice on picking out a good, not crazy expensive, router that will adjust from above the table. I was looking at the Dewalt DW618, but I called Dewalt and you can't adjust it from above the table. Is this something that's not a big deal or should I hold out for one that does have this feature?

Views: 8602

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have a look at the Milwaukee 5625-20 Router. I have it and love it. Nice a quiet compare to other routers and more than powerful do do any task. If you figure in a router lift and a router you will come ahead with this one.

Hi,  I am also new to woodworking and this year added a router table to my arsenal.  I chose the Bosch 1617EVS 2.25 Variable speed with fixed base.   It has 3 fixed heights with a simple release of a lever and you can micro adjust the height from above the table.   As a newbie,  I would recommend regardless which router you choose, familiarize yourself very well with all the adjustments with the router prior to install to the table.  The learning curve with the new tool is easier prior to it being upside down...might have just been me :)

Thank you

Have a look at the Milwaukee 5625-20 Router. I have it and love it. Nice a quiet compare to other routers and more than powerful do do any task. If you figure in a router lift and a router you will come ahead with this one.

Thanks

Rita B. said:

Hi,  I am also new to woodworking and this year added a router table to my arsenal.  I chose the Bosch 1617EVS 2.25 Variable speed with fixed base.   It has 3 fixed heights with a simple release of a lever and you can micro adjust the height from above the table.   As a newbie,  I would recommend regardless which router you choose, familiarize yourself very well with all the adjustments with the router prior to install to the table.  The learning curve with the new tool is easier prior to it being upside down...might have just been me :)

Jack.  I have had many router tables of which I have used extensively.  Some of these were abandoned as they did not have the power to build doors and cut raised panels and other routing duties of which I required.  The best two that I like is the Hitachi MV12 that is a 3 & 1/4 hp plunge model.  I removed the return springs in the router making it an excellent table mounted router of which you can manually lift and lock into height adjustment.    I however added a router lift.  This router has the power and ability to make it a good table mounted system.

I have now acquired another router table and have added the Triton  TRA001 which is a 3 & 1/4 hp plunge router.  This one is adjustable through the table top without adding anything additional as it is a built in system the even comes with the crank for above the table top adjustments.  It is quick and positive.  Another feature that I like in the Triton router is the enclosed motor of which has excellent dust and chip extraction.  They both are soft start motors with selective speed adjustment and needs only one wrench for bit extraction.  You can either bend your supplied wrench or purchase a bent wrench to making it an above table top bit change without changing your bit height adjustment.  This is a excellent system when using bits that are designed as sets such as the Sommerfeld door making sets and the tongue and grove cabinet making sets.  This means that once you set the bit height of one bit all the others in the set are automatically set needing no bit height adjustment. 

Both Routers have the power to turn the large 3 inch diameter panel raising bit for door making and does this in the hardest of woods such as hickory with ease.  Yes they are expensive but if you want a router table that will perform as a professional router table you need one of which not only has the power to preform all the tasks that are possible but you also need the router to have the ability to perform with ease. 

Between the two my favorite router is the Triton  hands down.  Why?  It comes with all features that are needed for a great table mounted router with out modifications.    I believe Kreg is still a Triton router dealer and should be able to answer the questions you need to know about them.

I second what Jay says , I have two Tritons good power and above table adjustments .

Thank you and I think I have decided on the Triton Router

Jay Boutwell said:

Jack.  I have had many router tables of which I have used extensively.  Some of these were abandoned as they did not have the power to build doors and cut raised panels and other routing duties of which I required.  The best two that I like is the Hitachi MV12 that is a 3 & 1/4 hp plunge model.  I removed the return springs in the router making it an excellent table mounted router of which you can manually lift and lock into height adjustment.    I however added a router lift.  This router has the power and ability to make it a good table mounted system.

I have now acquired another router table and have added the Triton  TRA001 which is a 3 & 1/4 hp plunge router.  This one is adjustable through the table top without adding anything additional as it is a built in system the even comes with the crank for above the table top adjustments.  It is quick and positive.  Another feature that I like in the Triton router is the enclosed motor of which has excellent dust and chip extraction.  They both are soft start motors with selective speed adjustment and needs only one wrench for bit extraction.  You can either bend your supplied wrench or purchase a bent wrench to making it an above table top bit change without changing your bit height adjustment.  This is a excellent system when using bits that are designed as sets such as the Sommerfeld door making sets and the tongue and grove cabinet making sets.  This means that once you set the bit height of one bit all the others in the set are automatically set needing no bit height adjustment. 

Both Routers have the power to turn the large 3 inch diameter panel raising bit for door making and does this in the hardest of woods such as hickory with ease.  Yes they are expensive but if you want a router table that will perform as a professional router table you need one of which not only has the power to preform all the tasks that are possible but you also need the router to have the ability to perform with ease. 

Between the two my favorite router is the Triton  hands down.  Why?  It comes with all features that are needed for a great table mounted router with out modifications.    I believe Kreg is still a Triton router dealer and should be able to answer the questions you need to know about them.

I have decided on the Triton Router and thanks for all the input

Jay , nice write up on the router , well done , JIM !!

Thanks Jim, I'm just sharing my experience with routers and router tables.  They can be confusing and although there are many combinations in my opinion the best one on the market today is the Triton routers.
 The router table is the second most used machine tool in my shop as it does everything from simple routing of edges to a complete building of a arched or square raised panel cabinet door.   That being said I have to have a good dependable router table.  In finding a good router table combination I tinkered with several finding routers to be the main difficult item of the router system.  Some are too bulky and an under powered for their size and  some are difficult to adjust under a table.   Another problem with some are the exposure to the interior of the router body through the cooling openings and as expected wood dust and wood chips will destroy a router in short order.  That reasoning alone puts most aside as they are not made to be operated upside down.


 james wilhelm said:

Jay , nice write up on the router , well done , JIM !!

Jay, are you referring to Triton plunge router? And do you suggest the Kreg router table?

Yes I am referring to the Triton Router.  There is nothing wrong with the Kreg router tables however I do not have any experience with them.  The one I have is one built by Sommerfeld Tools.  It has a larger table and fence system. 
 
Ron said:

Jay, are you referring to Triton plunge router? And do you suggest the Kreg router table?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

Forum

Wall cabinet 14-16" deep

I'm looking for plans, especially the cutout pieces on a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood for wall cabinets that are deeper than the standard 12". Anyone in the community adapted Kreg plans for 12" to a deeper cabinet?Thanks, HenryContinue

Tags: cabinets, Wall

Started by Henry Beun in Kreg Jig® Projects Jul 25.

Joining 1.5" thick red oak butcher block

Hello. I am a beginner DIYer and new to this community. I am searching the best way for joining 1.5 inch thick Red Oak butcher block counter top. I need to join 2 boards perpendicular for L shape. Would 1 1/2 fine thread screws with 1 1/2  jig setup…Continue

Started by Aya Kaiho in Beginners' Zone Jul 17.

Product Reviews

Kreg Jig Dust Collection Attachment

1st impression when you hold this attachment in your hand:  "not much to it", Kreg sure is makin' $$ here.



Then I installed it.. perfect fit, leaves just enough room to adjust the setting screw on my K4.



Then the real test, hook…

Continue

Posted by Grampy Meyer on February 23, 2020 at 11:36am

My K4 Master System

I picked up the K4MS from Home Depot about 3 months ago, I was looking for a small filing cabinet for under my desk and nothing I looked at would fit or they wanted big money for it, my wife said “why don’t you just build your own then you will…

Continue

Posted by Randy W. Lush on August 25, 2019 at 12:30pm

© 2020   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_