Up until now we were keeping Ginger's toys in a cardboard paper ream box. So I decided that I'd built things for Tori, the cats and even myself (ya know stuff for the shop) but nothing for our puppy Ginger. So I decided it was time to get the cardboard box out of living room and completed my first project using mortise and tenon jointery and there were plenty to practice this method with on this project.
Of course, I made my share of mistakes and learned a lot from them... it wasn't as simply as I thought it would be but with practice I can see it can be mastered.
I was originally thinking that I would use paints on this project as I was using, as usual, a lot of reclaimed woods and was going to make it a multi-color ( I mean it's a toy box!) project. But Tori liked the semi-rustic look of the bare wood so much, and so did I, that we decided to keep it natural and simply used a coat of Mixwax Polycrylic to give a light sheen.
It certainly looks a lot better than that cardboard box and since it's even bigger we can get Ginger more toys to destroy! Although some of the toys we've gotten her didn't last ten minutes against CHEWbacha. Ok, her name is Ginger but we consider changing her name to Chewbacha or "Chi-Chink" - because she has been so expensive - on a regular basis.
Hope all of you enjoy this and maybe get an idea or two from it yourselves!
Thanks for looking.