Kreg Owners' Community

Will light sanding a gloss finish result in a satin look?

I want to put a satin finsih on a new table top and the varnish is described as a "hard" gloss. Will sanding it with very fine paper result in a satin look or should I just buy a satin finish? This varnish has great protection properties in it for table tops and thought it would be better than using polyurthane or laquer. Thanks for any help.

Views: 403

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wouldn't risk sanding.  Apart from the obvious striations from the route the sandpaper takes, the level of pressure applied will also make a difference in the pattern.  IE, the edge of the sanding block, or the pressure from your fingers.

I think at the end of the day...it would simply look like you sanded it.  ;)

Thanks for responding.  I'll just use satin polyurathane which probably will be a better finish for a table top than laquer.

Geoff Simpson said:

I wouldn't risk sanding.  Apart from the obvious striations from the route the sandpaper takes, the level of pressure applied will also make a difference in the pattern.  IE, the edge of the sanding block, or the pressure from your fingers.

I think at the end of the day...it would simply look like you sanded it.  ;)

I agree with Geoff! I'd use a satin finish rather than sanding!
Thanks Ralph. That's probably what I'll do. The varnish sounded like a good choice but really wanted a satin finish.

Ralph Sarc said:
I agree with Geoff! I'd use a satin finish rather than sanding!
I'm going to use an oil base stain and depends on a sanding sealer. I have a lacquer base sanding sealer but can't use poly on it, it says. That's why I thought of using a satin poly finish. Don't know if varnish can go over my sanding sealer or not.

TOMBOY said:
Gary, it really depends on what type of finish/medium you are applying your sealer to as to what kind of sealant you use; I say this because you mentioned both poly and lacquer.  I used to do a fair share of refinishing work  for hire and, I would be happy to help you choose the right sealer if you care to elaborate on the medium you used for your finish coat:-)  If unnecessary to advise, please accept my appologies for stepping in:-)  It is the motherly instinct in me, I guess!
Thanks for your input. I like lacquer because it dries fast but thought poly would be more durable. I know both come in satin. There's a new sanding sealer I found that almost any finish can be used, unlike what I have. My sealer is old so maybe I should get a new one. Just would like to have a durable finish.

TOMBOY said:

You sound like you have done this process before perhaps but, just in case you have not; be very gentle in applying the sanding sealer as it will function very much like a polyeurothane and can run and can have a dripping appearance if applied too generously.  The sanding sealer is oil based as well in most cases and you will have to use polyeurothane or, an oil based lacquer.  The difference between the two is not only the very strong odor of the lacquer but, poly has a habit of yellowing over time and if not applied properly or, with enough coats and proper sanding between coats, flaking.  This is a pretty extreme situation however and most times does not occur but, is always a possibility.  I prefer to use a satin polycrylic for latex and water base stains due to the non yellowing and low/no odor and superior finish.  Using a good wood conditioner on your raw material is also a vital step, especially if staining...Anyway, probably way too much information:-)  I would use the lacquer if you have the option and deffinately a satin finish...just make sure you have plenty of ventillation:-) 

Hello, Watco spraying laquer is the easiet spray finish I have ever used and it comes in an aerosol can, and I now use it all the time. If you want to knock down the gloss try using 0000 steel wool this works fantastic.  

Joe

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_