Kreg Owners' Community

Just thought I would start a discussion on woodworkers real jobs. It would be fun to no if there are lots of professional people using Kreg Jig along with people  like myself a retired  construction worker.

Views: 6468

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I currently am a full-time wife/mom/remodler of our home/chauffeur/cook. God has blessed me with the best job in the world and it also allows me to take what used to be a woodworking hobby to a new level. I was a youth pastor and also owned a small-business marketing and ecommerce development company for 11 years. The majority of my creative outlet has been in programming for internet and companies such as Onkyo, WebTV... (remember them???) and developing Flash annimation and training modules. I may not remember punch cards but remember well the line by line DOS and monochromatic screens that we thought were so advanced!
I've been woodworking since I was a child and was only allowed to use chisels and a coping saw. Woodworking as an adult became a great stress reliever and way to create tangible things as opposed to the often intangible industry of the internet. After having my fill of the less tech savvy public, crashing servers and computers, and dealing with employee stress, I closed up shop and focused attention on my family, remodeling our house, and substituting high school. Then discovering the Kreg Jig took building to a new level and making me more productive! I can honestly say it rekindled my love of woodworking and I am incorporating it more and more into my "daytime job"!
Great thread Jens! Fun to read!
I really think that is the hardest job in world being chief cook and bottle washer and still have time for other interests. Hats off to all the ladys that are able to do this type of work in today's ecconomy.
Also think this thread is going yo be lots of fun just seeing so many differant occupations in the world

Kim C said:
I currently am a full-time wife/mom/remodler of our home/chauffeur/cook. God has blessed me with the best job in the world and it also allows me to take what used to be a woodworking hobby to a new level. I was a youth pastor and also owned a small-business marketing and ecommerce development company for 11 years. The majority of my creative outlet has been in programming for internet and companies such as Onkyo, WebTV... (remember them???) and developing Flash annimation and training modules. I may not remember punch cards but remember well the line by line DOS and monochromatic screens that we thought were so advanced!
I've been woodworking since I was a child and was only allowed to use chisels and a coping saw. Woodworking as an adult became a great stress reliever and way to create tangible things as opposed to the often intangible industry of the internet. After having my fill of the less tech savvy public, crashing servers and computers, and dealing with employee stress, I closed up shop and focused attention on my family, remodeling our house, and substituting high school. Then discovering the Kreg Jig took building to a new level and making me more productive! I can honestly say it rekindled my love of woodworking and I am incorporating it more and more into my "daytime job"!
Great thread Jens! Fun to read!
Thanks I had no idea I would get in trouble hahaah
It is fun to be nosy haha
KregRep said:
Great topic. Semi retired from selling hydraulics and looking for ways to fill the void. Started using Kreg tools to build lawn furniture and repairing a picnic table for the neighbour. Gorilla glue and pocket screws will fix any broken leg or table top. Now venturing into Muskoka/Androndack furniture inspired by a trip to the Museum in NY last Summer. My creative genes have lots of ideas, but the day-job keeps it to a minimum. This KREG community is the best.
Boy they dont give that furniture away wow what a price tag

Andy Van Driel said:
Great topic. Semi retired from selling hydraulics and looking for ways to fill the void. Started using Kreg tools to build lawn furniture and repairing a picnic table for the neighbour. Gorilla glue and pocket screws will fix any broken leg or table top. Now venturing into Muskoka/Androndack furniture inspired by a trip to the Museum in NY last Summer. My creative genes have lots of ideas, but the day-job keeps it to a minimum. This KREG community is the best.
Retired Law Enforcement in 2007
Like many otheres I am also an IT professional. Not all that much of a guru on PC's, but have been creating and maintaining COBOL code on mainframes (Enterprise Servers) since 1964. Hve been working on hospital based systems since 1983. With all the changes the government keeps making, I will probably never retire - there is too much to do.

But that jobs is just a Monday through Friday gig, so am also a restaurant owner. I do most of the maintenance on the wooden building, and cook Sunday breakfast.

Then there is some weekend work helping a friend and customer restore an 80YO farmhouse. Interior is nearly complete so he can rent it within the next few weeks. We will then start of a 3 year plan for exterior projects - new pump house, storage building, restoring or replacing a garage/shed, and relocating and reconstructing a fence around the house.
thats what I thought you meant Joe..but didnt want to make a mistake commenting it..

Joe Racz said:
Just a little gallows humor. Obviously it is a tragedy when any woodworker gets injured, but a professional pilot is especially vulnerable. There are a lot of injuries I could get that would cause me to lose my license (and my job along with it). Reminding myself of this before I hit a tool's 'on' switch help's me be careful and focused.

michael pope said:
dumb hobby?

Joe Racz said:
I am an Airline Pilot. Every time I flick the 'on' switch on a power tool I remind myself that this is a dumb hobby for an airline pilot. I do it anyway because I reall enjoy it.
I am the IT Director for the Richard Petty Driving Experience. Woodworking is a great break away from computers all day long. Is it bad though that I spend ALOT of time on the computer reading, watching and writing about woodworking. I should probably spend some more time in the shop. :)
Recently I was an art director for a pharmacy supply company. However, I switched over to being the art director for a military surplus/manufacturing company. Two stores are located in Iowa, and the other two are here in St. Paul/Minneapolis in Minnesota.

I'm also trying to become a published author of a political thriller novel. (wish me GREAT amounts of luck there)

I grew up in Wisconsin to a woodworking father, but didn't get into the hobby until early 2009. I saw an infomercial for the Kreg Jig and a new passion was born. Wait until you guys see my latest piece I'm working on. Details to come...
I have aspirations to be a Wal-Mart greeter when I grow up. Until then, I'm an airframe & powerplant mechanic, which is the governments secret code for "I fix the stuff the pilot guy broke". I've had several people tell me I needed to do woodworking professionally, but why ruin a good thing?!?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_