Kreg Owners' Community

I need to buy a new drill.  I am thinking of buying a corded drill as I have a lot of problems with batteries, either not charged when I need it or batteries that don't hold a charge.  I know that battery ones are more convenient, but........   Any suggestions as to what kind (Brand) to buy? What power is the best? 

Views: 5791

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've always been a DeWalt man. Lithium Ion is the way to go as far as new batteries are concerned.
LiOn is definately the way to go for a cordless drill, NiCd and NiMh start to lose charge after 2 or so weeks, so if you don't use your drill that often you will find the batteries never seem to last that long. 18V would be the power to go for.

As for corded drills, as Bob said, DeWalt is quite good. I've always used a Makita (bday pressie from mum years ago) and its never let me down. Also good as the hammer action on a mains powered drill is more powerful than that of a cordless one, ergo making short work of drilling through concrete, rock, etc. Something around the 500W mark will suffice for most jobs. Keep in mind though that we use 240V over here, don't know if dropping down to 110V would change the power needed (very early in the morning, coffee hasn't kicked in, remembering high school physics not good right now!).
If I only need to drill a couple of holes a battery drill is more convenient. But these days I actually prefer using corded tools when power is available. For drills I like Milwaukee and DeWalt and actually prefer a keyed chuck.

Though this DeWalt has a keyless chuck it hangs in reach of my workbench, plugged in and ready to go at all times. So it is naturally the one I use most often when working in the shop. If you notice there is a jigsaw blade visible in the picture too. My Porter Cable worm drive jig saw is also in reach of the workbench always plugged in and ready to go.

Depends on what you plan on using it for, hobby, daily work, or just to have. I only use my corded drills when I have todo heavy drilling the rest of the time I'm using my cordless drills, i own a porter cable 18v, Dewalt 18v and 14v, craftsman 18v. It all depends on you which one you like and the price you want to pay.
Corded drills are less expensive than not-corded. I purchased a Hitachi corded drill not too long ago. I wanted another drill for the Kreg Jig so I didn't have to keep changing the the drill bit with the driver bit, plus drilling a lot of pockets taxed the battery quite a lot. The new drill has a speed rating of 2500 rpm which fits the recommended speed for drilling pockets.
It was just undr $50 at Lowes - I almost bought the low end DeWalt for more but decided I didn't need to spend more money for a drill I will mainly just drill pocket holes with, I am very happy with it- it does the job I bought it for.
Doesn't matter to me just make sure its got a good clutch, especially if you are working with MDF. It's easy to strip the pocket hole if you overdrive in some materials, I learned this the hard way. Its better to have too little power than to start off too strong. I actually use a driver and a drill separate from one another so I don't have to change the bits in-between actions.
I just don't like being tied to a cord, except for my drill press. If I'm going to use a handheld drill, I prefer cordless. I agree with the others who suggest using a Lithium ion batter. They hold a charge well and recharge quickly. Keep an extra charged battery and put the dead battery in the charger as soon it's used up. I'm on my second Milwaukee drill and I really like it a lot and charge time is about 30 minutes, so I can usually keep swapping batteries if I need to as I go. I suppose the next step would be a third battery if I was burning through power any quicker.

Again a reliable clutch and an 18V drill should handle just about anything you throw at it.
Our Facebook community had some input for you, Brian!
http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?id=54208550837&share_id=1259...
Thanks to everyone for your input. Now I will have to get out the catalogues.
Festool makes some nice drills. Some say they are pricey. But when you look at all you get, the systainer, the special purpose chucks like the right angle for tight places, Eccentric Chuck for tight corners even the Depth Stop Chuck, regular chuck plus it is a driver and a drill. They all work together in a system. Unique design. Nice stuff.

I just bought a DeWalt DC759KA. It doesn't have the Li-Ion but it was on sale at lowes for only $119 for the kit with 2 batteries and charger. I would like the Li-Ion since they seem much better but they are much more expensive so I'll have to decide in the next few days. Does anyone know if I could just purchase Li-Ion batteries for the drill that I bought or do I need to get a whole new drill?
I use a Milwaukee and its a total beast.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_