Kreg Owners' Community

I see almost everyone here has a portable drill.

I used to have a Black&Decker 9.x volt.. BLAH..

I am now looking for a new one.

What kind do you guys have?

And also, does the drill being 18volt make a difference in the strength and power output that I REALLY need?

Views: 628

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Black and Decker 18 volt FireStorm drill/driver and B&D 1/2 inch with bullseye level.

Steve

One more thing to pay some attention to is the AH (amp/hour) rating of the batteries of the tool that you buy. During the research that I did when I bought my Hitachi, I found that the majority, at that time, had batteries with a 1.5 AH. One of the reasons I bought the Hitachi was the fact that they offer both 1.5 AH and 3 AH Batteries. The 3 AH givesmore power and has longer battery life. As a foot note to this, my son-in-law bought the same drill as I did at a much cheaper price (which he did some bragging about) and then we found out that my drill would sink screws that his would not touch. We then found that his lower priced drill had 1.5AH batteries where mine has the 3 AH batteries. You just get what you pay for.

I use a Craftsman anniversary corded drill for drilling and Makita LCT203W 10.8-Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Two-Piece Combo Kit Makita LCT203W 10.8-Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Two-Piece Combo Kit

for driving

Depends on WHICH one you are asking about. I have a "general purpose" Porter-Cable 18v or B&D Professional from years ago. Other than that, I have a CE (Chicago Electric) for 1/2" heavy duty, a 1" CE Hammer Drill for some "concrete work" I did. I still have, but do not use, 2 small 1/4" Craftsmans. Like I said, for most of the general purpose work I use the Porter-Cable or the B&D Professional. Both stand the gaff and torque needed for the various jobs.

I like my Dewalt electric drill with the good ol keyed chuck...I bought one of the smaller ones...comfortable in my hands- doesn't lose power...no batteries to worry about - I pretty much leave it setup for drilling my Kreg pocket holes...I believe it was about $62...2 years ago

Michael J. Gillen

I have several Dewalt cordless 1/2 " drills, an AC powered Dewalt 1/2 " drill, and a Bosh hammer drill for concrete work.
so steven what did you decide, im curious to know what you will buy?

I have a Dewalt 18 Volt drill. I've had this drill for about six months and am very happy with it. I am a homeowner so I can't speak as to how this drill would function during all day use. For projects around my house it has plenty of power although, like every other cordless tool I have used, it needs a little more time drilling/driving through hard wood however works well with my Kreg Jig.

All in all a great drill. I can't imagine ever installing curtain rods, assembling bookcases, etc. with a corded drill and/or screwdriver again!

Dewalt corded for drilling and a Craftsman 12V Li-Ion for screwing.
I have a mix of drills. 12 volt Hitachi impact for driving screws, 18 volt Dewalt drill/driver for drilling, also a 1/2" Milwaukee corded drill for long drawn out projects. The Dewalt and Hitachi are used the most.
I have a SKIL.  Works great 18V
I went with a corded DeWalt to match the 2500 rpm specs Kreg recommended for drilling. I use a Makita driver/drill for running the screws in. The combo works great.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_