Kreg Owners' Community

I am building a cabinet / closet that is 30 inches wide.  I was going to use 2 doors 15 inches wide from 3/4 inch plywood.  My guess is they would weigh about 20 lbs. what kind of and how many should I use to support each door?  Thanks for your help!  Lynn 

Views: 242

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would use 3 concealed hinges each side, exact type depends if your doors are flush with the outside edge or set into the cabinet?

Thanks Brad.  That is exactly what I was hoping to hear.  I wasn't sure if the concealed hinges would be strong enough to carry the weight.  I was also wanting to get the Kreg concealed  hinge jig and was looking for a good "reason".  Lynn

Brad Martin said:

I would use 3 concealed hinges each side, exact type depends if your doors are flush with the outside edge or set into the cabinet?

Hi,

My 5 cents - the concealed hinges will hold the load, but what really would influence the number of hinges per side is the height of your door as the main factor.

The guide is, at least as I've been taught, to use 1 hinge per every 20" of the door height, while the max width per door is 20". I recently built a shaker style door - 35" tall x 17" wide, and used 2 regular concealed hinges. Must note though that the weight of the door was considerably reduced by using 1/4" plywood as the inner panel, and 3/4" x 4" pine boards as rails and stiles.

Thanks Edward!  I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Lynn 


Edward Weitsman said:

Hi,

My 5 cents - the concealed hinges will hold the load, but what really would influence the number of hinges per side is the height of your door as the main factor.

The guide is, at least as I've been taught, to use 1 hinge per every 20" of the door height, while the max width per door is 20". I recently built a shaker style door - 35" tall x 17" wide, and used 2 regular concealed hinges. Must note though that the weight of the door was considerably reduced by using 1/4" plywood as the inner panel, and 3/4" x 4" pine boards as rails and stiles.

Oh no worries at all! Sorry it was about 5 months late :) :) :) 

Lynn Greff said:

Thanks Edward!  I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Lynn 


Edward Weitsman said:

Hi,

My 5 cents - the concealed hinges will hold the load, but what really would influence the number of hinges per side is the height of your door as the main factor.

The guide is, at least as I've been taught, to use 1 hinge per every 20" of the door height, while the max width per door is 20". I recently built a shaker style door - 35" tall x 17" wide, and used 2 regular concealed hinges. Must note though that the weight of the door was considerably reduced by using 1/4" plywood as the inner panel, and 3/4" x 4" pine boards as rails and stiles.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Popular Posts & Projects 

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

Forum

Back with Kreg 3 Replies

After being disappointed with my Kreg Foreman I sold it and got a Porter Cable 560. It was a decent jig and performed with decent results. Then a friend who is also a Kreg dealer told me about the K5.i bought one and set it up. I must say it's…Continue

Started by DaveTinley in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by KregCS yesterday.

spam 3 Replies

Did anybody get bs email from Timothy White about Your surname? He said he got my name from here.Continue

Started by Timothy Spoon in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by KregRep Apr 4.

Product Reviews

K5 Review

I really like the k5 it is faster to change from different size of screws. I hesitated to update because of some of the reviews about the dust collection hook up. That to me one of the improvements it works perfect no dust to cleanup .…

Continue

Posted by Gary roofner on April 5, 2019 at 10:02am

Merry Christmas r3

 Hi all Santa left me one under the tree the elf thar made it must have had a bad morning because one gray tab is metric and the other one is imperial help Santa what do I do

thanks Eric 

Posted by Eric Kershaw on January 8, 2019 at 6:27pm — 1 Comment

Kreg Project Center Work Station

The Kreg Project Center is great by itself, but 2 KPC's are better than 1 when you want to set up a 12 ft. work station in a couple minutes.…

Continue

Posted by Glenn Revheim on April 5, 2018 at 5:57am — 5 Comments

Festool Domino 500

The first thing I will do is set price aside and focus on the tool and why I bought the Domino. 

      I have orders for a few dining tables and chairs.  I have made one prototype chair, while I have all the tools to make angled…

Continue

Posted by justin waldron on April 2, 2018 at 5:46am — 2 Comments

© 2019   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_