Kreg Owners' Community

I'm just a woodworking beginner... and have only made one real project so far... (a computer desk) but thanks to the Kreg Jig and the use of a friend's wood shop, it turned out great! I'd love to see what some of the other members here have built with their Kreg Jig.

Views: 1674

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This was my first big project using the Kreg jig to help me out. I made a futon for my youngest son and I have to admit I was a little nervous using this joint over the more traditional mortise and tenon. I made this almost two years ago and it is just as good today as the day that I built it.
Attachments:
Jim, I love the contrasting plugs you added to your project. Instead of hiding them, you used them as an accent! Very cool stuff.
This is a pontoon boat I'm helping build for a friend of mine. He wanted his pontoon to have an old-time ship feel, so he wanted to build it using wood. I then introduced him to the Kreg Jig, telling him that Kreg joining will be stronger and we can easily hide any screws. He was a little hesitant at first, but after I presented him with the cradle I made for their coming child, he was sold.

The construction is 2 x 2 pine with plywood planking. We set the Kreg Jig to allow for the 1.5 inch thickness and were on our way. The construction took us only two weekends at about six hours each day. Odin planned for MUCH longer construction time and was simply amazed at how fast we were able to go. I just kept telling him, "the Kreg Jig makes it possible."

Our next step is to plug any exposed pocket holes, build the wheel tower, and sand, stain, and finish the pontoon. He should be ready to launch the USS Kreg Jig by May, easily. (OK, he's not calling it that, but I am in my mind.)

I'm wondering if this might be the world's first watercraft that used the Kreg Jig...
Attachments:
Hi all
I am new to the group and new to pocket hole joinery. I have yet to use the Kreg jig but plans for it's use are many. We just moved into a new house and I am planning to make built-in bookcases, an entertainment centre with matching sofa end tables that double as TV tables, Outdoor furniture including a built in BBQ kitchen with attached bar counter, low rider Adirondack chairs, planter boxes, etc. I purchased the jig in order to be able to complete projects in a reasonable time frame and make strong joints with limited tools or skills. I hope to learn and share ideas and pictures as time goes on.

Onno
I am planning to make built-in bookcases, an entertainment centre with matching sofa end tables that double as TV tables.

One of the best videos I've seen that will help in your plans for doing built-in's and other interior work using the Kreg Jig is The Pocket Hole Solution to Trim Carpentry with Gary Striegler. You can get it from Kreg direct, it's worth it's wieght in gold.
Don Grubish said:
This is a pontoon boat I'm helping build for a friend of mine. He wanted his pontoon to have an old-time ship feel, so he wanted to build it using wood. I then introduced him to the Kreg Jig, telling him that Kreg joining will be stronger and we can easily hide any screws. He was a little hesitant at first, but after I presented him with the cradle I made for their coming child, he was sold.
The construction is 2 x 2 pine with plywood planking. We set the Kreg Jig to allow for the 1.5 inch thickness and were on our way. The construction took us only two weekends at about six hours each day. Odin planned for MUCH longer construction time and was simply amazed at how fast we were able to go. I just kept telling him, "the Kreg Jig makes it possible."
Our next step is to plug any exposed pocket holes, build the wheel tower, and sand, stain, and finish the pontoon. He should be ready to launch the USS Kreg Jig by May, easily. (OK, he's not calling it that, but I am in my mind.)

I'm wondering if this might be the world's first watercraft that used the Kreg Jig...

JD said:
My first project has been a shop sink. Very simplistic using 2x4 and 1x4 lumber. All joints were made with my Kreg including attaching the formica top.

These are far from a 'traditional woodworking projects', that's for sure... but, wow, what a great applications for the Kreg Jig. I'd love to see how you attached the Formica top using pocket-holes, JD. Can you post some pictures from the bottom side?

And Don, the USS Kreg Jig is a great name! One thing's for sure, the odds of finding someone else at the lake with the same name is pretty low. :)
A quick tip for the members... to make your photos show up in your post (like JD did), instead of them just being 'attachments', upload them through the the "Photos" page. Once they're on the photos page, click on the photo to bring up the full-size version, and then right click on the image. Once you've right clicked, you'll see a dialog box. In the dialog box, click on "Copy Image URL". This will save the photo's address so you can paste it later on.

Next, go to the forum post where you want to add the photo. At the top of the area where you're typing you'll see a little icon that looks like a camera, or possibly a photograph (as shown in the image below). If you click the camera, you'll see another box which asks you to either upload a new photo from your computer or link to one elsewhere on the web. In the text box below "insert an existing image", paste the URL that you copied from earlier. Now, click "Add". When you submit your reply your image should show up properly in your post.

Still don't get it? Try this help page: http://tinyurl.com/dyn4xz
What I have built to date appear in my blog, but since I received my Kreg jig today none of those were pocket joined.
My first 'Kreg' project will be wall cabinets for my newly remodeled kitchen.
My first project has been a shop sink.

That is the beauty of the Kreg Jig, the first time you use it, you build like a pro. Very nice shop sink!! It used to be that first projects were restricted to saw horses or bird houses, but Kreg has made it possible to achieve years of quality literally over night.
Two or three years ago at the Carolina Expo, I could not pass up the deal on the K3, so as soon as I arrived home I had to build something with it to justify my "investment". I'd been in need of more storage space in my shop, so I used it to build a 27" cubed cabinet on the mobile base under my TS extension. Sidewalls are 3/4" veneer core ply pocket screwed and glued to 11/16" x 1-1/2" red oak face frame and base frame (both also pocket screwed & glued together). Back is 3/8" ply rabbeted and glued to sides. Drawer box is 5/8" glued up red oak, pocket screwed together, w/1/4" birch ply bottom grooved in and 11/16" front screwed on. Lacking a raised panel bit, I raised the coves on the cope & stick door panels on the TS. Had I attempted this project without pocket screws, I estimate it would hae taken me two months of construction and another month of finishing. Pocket screwing cut the construction time in half, and set me up to assemble after spray finishing the parts, which cut a week off the finishing. I'm afraid I do woodworking but don't do photography nearly as well.
Today I was bored, as it was raining all day, so I went into the workshop. I used only scrap wood, and created a speaker table for my surround sound system. I'll post pics later, but not bad for using only scrap wood from other projects.
Hello All.
Well I finally built something. I bought a couple of Adirondack chair kits but needed to make a table and a pair of ottomans to complete the set. The table came from some plans I had and it was easy to convert for pocket holes. The ottomans however aren't that great. I need more practice cutting out patterns more accuratley and adapting other plans. Have a look
Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_