Kreg Owners' Community

I'm in the process of looking for my first Kreg jig (I got another brand - it was cheaper & I sincerely regret the purchase) and am very confused by all the different products available, so I'm coming to the experts. 

Realistically, which products should a beginning woodworker get to have a good start and to be able to actually use the jig to its best degree.  I plan to use it for everything from drawers to a sewing armoire I have my eye on.  I've already created some drawers with the other jig so I guess I'm not a total beginner.

Views: 4036

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My Ridgid corded drill no load speed is 2,700 RPM and makes a nice clean hole. The other thing to remember is that when you drill the hole is that do not push the drill all the way to the end in one plunge. You need to plunge in and out a few times to keep the hole clean. I also use the vacuum hose adapter.

No, this is strictly for personal use, but who knows?

Jayme Hennek said:

I would start with the K4 unless you are going to do some commercial jointery then you might need a larger set

It looks like something the Imperial Stormtroopers used in "Star Wars".  Of course, their's were boring black.  But seriously, thank you for the suggestion.  I think I saw something like it at Home Depot, I'll check it out.

Dave Adshead said:

My Ridgid corded drill no load speed is 2,700 RPM and makes a nice clean hole. The other thing to remember is that when you drill the hole is that do not push the drill all the way to the end in one plunge. You need to plunge in and out a few times to keep the hole clean. I also use the vacuum hose adapter.

I am a beginner wood worker and I purchased theKreg K$MS Kreg Jig Master System and 674 Screw package deal and I would say that it is a good start. I would like to know what drill to buy. Can you buy a good corded clutched drill or do you need both the corded and cordless for the screwws themselves.

 

Thank you



Dave Adshead said:

If you have the budget, I recommend the K4 Kit. After my first project I purchased a corded drill that is over 2000 rpm for drilling. Kreg recommends it and I now know why. Less tear out and more control!  I use my cordless clutched drill for putting the screws in. Good luck.

Hi Gio - Both is best, especially just starting. No corded drill I know of is clutched so it is easy to over drive the screws. If the budget doesn't allow both, you can get on with just the cordless. The lower rpm just means the holes aren't cut as cleanly as they could be. Conversely, If you develop a good touch, there is no reason not to drive the screws with a corded drill. I routinely use my impact to drive the screws but wouldn't recommend that to anyone starting their first project.

Gio said:

I am a beginner wood worker and I purchased theKreg K$MS Kreg Jig Master System and 674 Screw package deal and I would say that it is a good start. I would like to know what drill to buy. Can you buy a good corded clutched drill or do you need both the corded and cordless for the screwws themselves.

 

Thank you



Dave Adshead said:

If you have the budget, I recommend the K4 Kit. After my first project I purchased a corded drill that is over 2000 rpm for drilling. Kreg recommends it and I now know why. Less tear out and more control!  I use my cordless clutched drill for putting the screws in. Good luck.

Hi GIO: I already had a cordless drill when I purchased my high speed corded drill so I now can set the corded drill for drilling and the cordless for putting the screws in. You can use the High speed drill clutched drill for both operations. When you switch from drilling to putting the screws in you MUST make sure that you adjust your clutch setting to an extremely low setting. If you forget this step you most likely will strip the hole or in softwood end up going too deep.

Not sure what that means... you have a corded drill with a clutch????



Dave Adshead said:

Hi GIO: I already had a cordless drill when I purchased my high speed corded drill so I now can set the corded drill for drilling and the cordless for putting the screws in.

?You can use the High speed drill clutched drill for both operations.?

When you switch from drilling to putting the screws in you MUST make sure that you adjust your clutch setting to an extremely low setting. If you forget this step you most likely will strip the hole or in softwood end up going too deep.

 

The new toolbox setup with the master and the clamps and screw is actually a real good deal, just wished they had it when I first got into kreg... and they need to add a few other things to it...

As for drills, if it is a budget thing, I recommend the cheap black and decker firestorm 18v drill. it is variable speed and works great, plus it isnt an arm and a leg to replace the batteries... either around christmas or new year I will always find a drill or a small combo package on sale for around 50-60 dollars and will buy it. I get two new batteries and an extra drill and whatever else is packaged in the combo kit. right now I have 2 flash lights a stud finder 3 drills and 2 circular saws.... and a stack of batteries good and bad... I do recommend that if you do go with a B&D firestorm drill, buy the after market B&D charger. it is better than the one that comes with the drills and combo sets, it doesnt over charge and will trickle charge when the battery is full, where the one that comes with the drills will over charge and kill the batteries. They also make a radio with a charger built into too, have one and works well but I dont trust that it will not over charge. So I use the after marker charger only.

shelia, you asked what you needed to get started. did you mean tools other than kreg? i would get a good miter saw and a good table saw. also get a cordless drill, dont mess with a corded one, but get a 18 volt or larger. also get the face clamp and 90 deg clamp and a couple 3 foot bar clamps. a speed square is also a good tool to have. and get lots of screws, you will use many more screws than you think you will. i get mine from amazon by the 1000 box, much cheaper in the long run. if you are planning on using mainly 3/4 inch stock just get the 1 1/4 screws, fine or corase thread depends on the wood you will be using. hope this helps, if not contact me and i will try to help out as much as i can.

It looks like I have most of the tools needed for this, I just need the Kreg jig, clamps, and a proper drill.  I want to thank everyone for answering this question for me.  I'm sure there are lots of new users and new woodworkers out there who will be helped by this post. 

Good luck. Just remember when purchasing a drill it must be rated at 2000 RPM or faster.

First thing first, you need to know what project you want to construct. After that, only then you will know which materials is suitable and what tools you need to have for your project. You can't just choose any kind of materials and you can't just buy any tools. You MUST know and understand what you are building. Have a review at http://shedplan-woodworkingguide.blogspot.com/

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

Forum

New to K5 and pocket holes, any video’s on the materials listed below?

I am using Danny Proulx book on shop workstations. I am deciding whether to use MDF or Melamine. He calls for MDF. However; I like the looks of the melamine.  I am a little leery of using pocket holes for it. One of the main reasons is I have no…Continue

Started by Michael Lusk in Beginners' Zone yesterday.

Adaptive Cutting System T-Track Stops Mod 1 Reply

I bought the ACS a couple of weeks ago & have been pleased with the results on my first small project (LP record crates)... I was disappointed with the plastic accessories for the table-top, especially the T-Track stops. I'm pretty sure they…Continue

Started by John Moore in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by Deac Manross May 17.

Product Reviews

K5 Review

I really like the k5 it is faster to change from different size of screws. I hesitated to update because of some of the reviews about the dust collection hook up. That to me one of the improvements it works perfect no dust to cleanup .…

Continue

Posted by Gary roofner on April 5, 2019 at 10:02am

Merry Christmas r3

 Hi all Santa left me one under the tree the elf thar made it must have had a bad morning because one gray tab is metric and the other one is imperial help Santa what do I do

thanks Eric 

Posted by Eric Kershaw on January 8, 2019 at 6:27pm — 1 Comment

Kreg Project Center Work Station

The Kreg Project Center is great by itself, but 2 KPC's are better than 1 when you want to set up a 12 ft. work station in a couple minutes.…

Continue

Posted by Glenn Revheim on April 5, 2018 at 5:57am — 5 Comments

Festool Domino 500

The first thing I will do is set price aside and focus on the tool and why I bought the Domino. 

      I have orders for a few dining tables and chairs.  I have made one prototype chair, while I have all the tools to make angled…

Continue

Posted by justin waldron on April 2, 2018 at 5:46am — 2 Comments

© 2019   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_