Kreg Owners' Community

I've been here for a while reading and admiring other peoples work.

I'm a beginner woodworker and 70 years old I know great time to start huh?

so far my brother and I built a couple of bunk beds for his great grandkids using pocket hole screws

then I added a  handrail onto my deck so I wouldn't fall like I did last winter when climbing the step,s I sure looked stupid laying out there in the snow.

Yesterday I built a clothes hanging rod for the utility room no more hanging shirts on nails and staining the walls which means I need to paint them.

no we all can't build beautiful furniture but we can build something I'm having a ball doing what I can.

Views: 557

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Old German saying "Ve get  to soon olt, to late schmart". Sure holds true for me.. Good luck.

Larry L. said:

I think I have it now,

work safe, buy long boards make them short and buy extra in the begining, work safe.

got it! 

thanks to all for the kind words

I have found out if you don't start today tomorrow you'll be older so might as well start today.

Larry 

I'm at the stage in my woodworking where functional beats fashionable as well.

Happy Birthday James  !!

From Robert Brennan

Brisbane

Queensland

Australia

from Robert Brennan

James Waller said:

Wallace, I really got a good laugh when you said "making short boards out of long ones". I'm sure you are in a big group of woodworkers who have done that, I know I have done it (and will probably do it again).

Larry, I still consider myself a "beginner" to woodworking even though I started about 2 years ago. I haven't build anything that I consider to be "furniture quality", but have been proud of the few projects I have build. I may never get to the level as an expert woodworker, but then again that is not my goal. I am happy in building a "box" as much as an expert is in building fine furniture. I know I could one day be wise enough to build something I thought was beyond my abilities, but I'm very happy with what I can do now and look forward to what I may do in the future. By the way, on July 6 I will turn 60, so for some of us the future might be shorter than we would like, but live for the day and the future will take care of itself.

James :)

That is what it is all about!!!!

Rod

Amen to that.
That's one of the things I love about the Kreg Jig.  You can do some things yourself that contractors (IF you can even find a good one) would charge you a bundle to build and take longer to do it.  Young or old, it feels good to be self-reliant sometimes.

hi Larry, i just what to say build want ever makes you happy and will make life more pleasurable in the future. no we all cant make furniture, but that is not the focus of this site, it is woodworking, mainly with the use of the kreg jig, but whatever you make as long as you are happy with it is a great project. always remember if you are happy with your project that is what matters and i hope your projects brighten your woodworking experiece. you are never too old to take on a hobby!

Hi Larry, I myself just got into woodworking a couple of years ago afterr being injured on the job. I was always able to work with my hands as a mechanic and doing home improvements and such, but never considered making any kind of furniture, or at least anthing I would want anyone to see.

Well with the help from this web site and some others not quite as good as this one I developed the skills and courage to try all sorts of projects feel free to check out my page and think that this is only about my third year doing this sort of thing.

It is just like anything else you do. No one jumped behind the wheel of a car and knew exactly what they were doing that first day. If you work safely with wood there is always the capability for a do over.

Enjoy your new hobby and before you know it you will be posting pictures to make us drool too

Thanks for the encouraging words Jay....I''m doing that very thing trying to make a spindle for the wishing well. 4rth time will be a charm, I'm sure. I was a little nervous to sign up on the site, not many females, and very few with zero experience, but I love reading your comments, very encouraging, and I am learning so much, I'm glad I became a member especially to read post like this, thank you for taking the time, 

angie

Jay Boutwell said:

If I may take few momonts of your time  I would like to pass on a couple thoughts.

In order to fully enjoy the art of wood working you first have to have patience and understanding.  You must be willing to except that mistakes happen and never look at it as a failure but as a step in the learning process.   Learn how to correct the mistakes and through this process your skills and artistic ability will rapidly develope.  Follow the guide lines of the mechanics of careful planning and prepairing your stock and thoes of jointery and you will be amazed at your results.  So what if you make a mistake, take some steps and figure out ways of how to fix that mistake.   Once a mistake is made and you ralize it then fix it, and you will most likely not make the same mistake again.  Don't take it as a set back and use it as a excuse to say the words "I CAN'T DO IT".   When you say or think "I CAN'T DO IT, you have just defeated yourself.    Once you convience yourself that you can "do it " half of your battle with it is done.  The rest becomes a pleasent challenge and thus the real happiness and the joy of wood working will emerge.  As I have told many others, every one has talents some have talents for certain things that come easy and seem easy and natural.  Others have to work at it to develope it.   In all cases however you still have the ability to think and  thus master anything that you convience yourself that you can do.  I am a firm believer in the fact that if you don't make mistakes then you do not learn. 

There are numerous exceptional good woodworkers in this community and if everyone one was to be totally honest they will tell each other that the more they work wood, the better they become at it.  I know that most if not all of us, have at one time or another thought to them selves and let doubts creep in, thinking that they could not build something.  Had they not have taken it as a challenge and proceeded with its creation then all of us would still be back there in time saying, " I CAN'T DO IT".

Your age or the amount of tools have nothing to do with the outcome of where or not you can be a woodworker.  It is the desire and the confidence in ones self that tells the ending story and displayed by the products of your artistery. You are  held captive only by the limits of your imagination and confidence in your ability to create.  My best to each of you and I am looking forward to seeing more members with products on display.  

Above all while enjoying this fasinating work practice SAFETY!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_