Kreg Owners' Community

In every shop there's a tool...No, not the person working in the shop, the actual tool itself.....and that tool, in that shop...is a hated tool. 

You see, It doesn't matter how expensive or new that tool is, or how shiny or sharp you keep it.  It doesn't even matter what colour or what brand it is.  You simply just...hate it.

For me, it's the Jig Saw.  And not just "A" jigsaw...THE jigsaw.  I've owned several.  From cheapy little black and decker toss-away's to mid-line Ridgid's and Dewalts, to higher end Bosch barrel grips and what have you.  I've spent countless dollars, on countless tools, making countless cuts for countless hours....and i've come to a conclusion.......

I hate Jig saws.

Views: 2093

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ha ha Geoff - I do work with some tools alright!

I have to agree - The jig saw - I though it might be the one I bought - sounds like that might not be the case!

I avoid using it if I can - at all cost - I cannot get a square cut and I have hard time following a line - on top of it all I'm left handed and this another one of those frustrating tools that I suspect is on the lefty conspiracy list!

anyway comforting to know I'm not a total tool!

I agree the worst tool to use is the hand held jig saw..they have a mind of their own, everything is going along great then all of a sudden the wood starts bouncing the saw starts bouncing and the cut is either 1/2 inch to the outside of the line or worst yet a 1/4 inch inside the line. then just when you gain control of the situation the blade breaks and you realise that's the last blade you have.

Time to sweep up and grab a beer, Hey maybe the jigsaw is a good tool after all.

I'm also left handed and a victom of the tool companys conspiracy against left handers.

Brian McLean said:

Ha ha Geoff - I do work with some tools alright!

I have to agree - The jig saw - I though it might be the one I bought - sounds like that might not be the case!

I avoid using it if I can - at all cost - I cannot get a square cut and I have hard time following a line - on top of it all I'm left handed and this another one of those frustrating tools that I suspect is on the lefty conspiracy list!

anyway comforting to know I'm not a total tool!

As you guys say i scorrect I also hate my jigsaws. I have spend numerous hours trying to get these saw to cut a correct line. I own a Sear vintage barrel that is good for cutting smallholes in wall board and a old Black and Decker that will not lock correctly and also has a mnd of it's own.

The old Yankee screw driver I have carried around since my Dad gave it to me long ago.

wPm

Ugh....my dad had one, it was also my granddads, i could never get the pressure correct to keep it in the screw.  A hateful tool if there ever was one.  lol

William Pearson said:

The old Yankee screw driver I have carried around since my Dad gave it to me long ago.

wPm

Mine would have to be the Router on a Router Table.  I think the Router is the most dangerous tool in my shop and I have had one run across my wrist many years ago.  It just seems like it wants to grab, pull, push and when you think you are done, it takes a chip out of your piece... Have had problems with the jig saw, but it has never sent me to the emergency room.
i like all my tools, but my least favorite would be a jig saw. have a 'skil' and it really sucks. got a ridgid and its a much better saw. but never had real good luck with a jig saw, definitely a rough cut saw, no matter what brand.
For all of you who hate Jig saws, well I love mine I have a Bosch, and I have had it for several years now, I can make some very accurate and intricate cuts with it.First of all it is a tool you let do the work don't force it or it fights back. 2nd use the proper blade for the job.. 3rd if you have a multi speed one use the speeds. 4th oscilating or not make sure you use the right one. Support your work and it wont bounce around, the Bosch literally cuts through the wood up to 2" oak with ease , but don't force it.  Any tools can be dangerous, I am a wood worker that's my Job, I cut 4 fingers off in May of this year on my table saw, Accidents do happen. So Be very very careful...

I hear you John. 

I have the Bosch barrel-grip 1591 Jigsaw personaly.  Top reviews, top dollar and a top brand.  I will say that it out performs any jigsaw i've used and is an excellent addition to my shop.  It's clear why it's been reviewed so highly by so many publications, and as many of us know, when you need it, there's no other tool that does the job.  The Bosch is more comortable, smoother, easier to operate....but it doens't change the fact that i simply don't enjoy using it.

Sorry to hear about your digits

John Miller said:

For all of you who hate Jig saws, well I love mine I have a Bosch, and I have had it for several years now, I can make some very accurate and intricate cuts with it.First of all it is a tool you let do the work don't force it or it fights back. 2nd use the proper blade for the job.. 3rd if you have a multi speed one use the speeds. 4th oscilating or not make sure you use the right one. Support your work and it wont bounce around, the Bosch literally cuts through the wood up to 2" oak with ease , but don't force it.  Any tools can be dangerous, I am a wood worker that's my Job, I cut 4 fingers off in May of this year on my table saw, Accidents do happen. So Be very very careful...

The Jig saw is the most mis-used and least controllable wood tools. My trick is to put a piece of 1/8" hardboard with my pattern drawn on it, placed on top of the wood piece i want to cut. It does need to be secured by clamp or screw. It will act as a backing board to eliminate chipping on the top surface of the wood being cut. I also like to use the fine tooth metal cutting blades when cutting wood. If i have some tight inside turns to cut, I use a Forster drill bit in the tight spots.

Going another direction, you can cut a template out of 1/8" hardboard, and use it with a router and flush trim router bit.

Brian,

Try using a fence held down by a couple of clamps.

It is the only way I can get a straight cut from a jig saw.

I love my jig saw. I hate my simple little glass cutter. I have yet to get a piece of glass to score and snap. I grew up watching Pop do it with such ease! It's a frustrating little gadget!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_