Kreg Owners' Community

I have been bit by the dreaded stop collar problem. While building a torsion box and using my Kreg Master system, I had the music going, vacuum on and was cranking out some pocket holes. Discovering the last two that my stop collar had slipped forcing the drill down in to the jig it self. Thankfully this was on a piece of some scrap so the project was fixed. But now I find my self constantly checking the drill bit depth! What was now a 4 step project Clamp, Drill, unclamp, move, and now check collar depth... I am tightening the collar to its breaking point with the set screw and to help with its contact, I have filed a flat area on the bit shank to aid in the set screws ability to keep tight against a flat surface. So here I am with a nice new Master Kreg system with three nice holes in its base.   Then low and be hold I see the Porter cable pocket jig... What you set the Step bit only once... The main issue here with this product it that simply if anyone was drilling some expensive stock and the collar bit slipped while drilling their holes even slightly then you have ruined the piece costing you time and money. So Watch of the stop collar it slips, using a battery operated drill also has an affect on the drilling efficiency of the bit. It seems that a faster rotation of the bit cuts better and there is less force placed onto the bit and thus the stop collar. KREG.. Start creating a bit with a flat area on the side of the shank to allow the stop collar set screw. The ability to bite the shank and keep it from slipping is a very serious problem. Now I have to look closely at the Porter Cable. Although a bit more in its initial cost, but cost savings of time and wasted product is worth consideration. The pocket hole fasting system is a great tool saves time with a strong joint.

Be careful.

Views: 4230

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How much pressure are you applying when you're drilling?  I use a large dewalt 18v just for drilling the holes and allow its weight to do most of the work (granted, i'm using mostly softwoods or hardwood ply).

As for the slipping....Stop collars are fairly generic, you can go to any hardware store and pick up another....the soft metal of that set screw can easily be stripped out.  Option 2, wrap electrical tape around the drill bit at the top of the collar, this will keep it from sliding up.

2 cents

I too wonder just how hard are you pushing?

So far I haven't experenced the problem of the collar slipping

and I do not over torque the set screw.

But I will keep an eye on the collar from now on

thanks for the heads up

I too use the 18v dewalt, but while using it i find that the rpm is just not sufficient to cut with the bit. Thought I had a dull bit. As for the pressure,  I just use  the drill do the work and follow down with the drill.  However using the electric drill I find a high rpm and thus a better cut. Just watch our for it. the end result are some nice holes in the bottom of your pocket hole jig..

Hi All,

I recently got a master system for an xmas present . I built 3 cabinets for my sons and found only that my 18 volt drill didn't do as good of a job as my eletric drill did. The Kreg jig was easy and fast and I had no problems so far.

I used 2 seperate boxes of screws and what came in one of the large Combo kits kreg sells. That will tell you how much drilling i have done. The only problem I have is now I dont have any thing else to build right now.

I found it allot of fun and easy to use. I have been a carpenter for 35 years . I have used A biscut jointer, hole drilling jigs etc but this is by far the easiest ,fastest and the strongest method I have used. It is so quick too. no clamping waiting for glue to dry.I did get several Kreg clamps and vise grips as presents as well which made the job a snap. .

I think you might have been pushing too hard with a cordless drill Try an electric drill and let the drill do the work as the others have said.

take care

Jim In pittsburgh

Go Steelers

I picked up a cheap B&D corded at Wally World, about $20 and it does a much better job than any of my cordless stuff. I think the main reason is it runs faster. I also notice a huge difference in ease of drilling when the dust collector is hooked up and running.
I had the collar on my set slip. I wiped the shank of the bit and the the bore of the collar with rubbing alcohol. I have had no problems since. Mind you, I also give the set screw an extra little tug when I tighten it. I suspect that the bit may have had a film of oil left on it from the manufactureing process or they may have a light coat of oil applied to protect them during shipping. Same thing applies to new router bits. I always wipe the shank of a new router bit with alcohol.

I also had the collar slip but I was using a 1/2 " Dewalt Corded drill.  I've had this problem before on other collars so I looked at the bottom of the set screw.  During manufacturing a small ring of protrusions were left at the bottom of the bevel.  I sanded the bottom flat and have not had any problems since.  I suspect you could have had the same problem and by overtightening the screw you are flattening them against the side of the bit.

Something to think about.

I think you have a drill problem I only use 18V Dewalt and can usualy drive any drill / screw I desire.  I have every piece of 18 V dewalt equipment there is.  My friends call my mobile workshop the DeWalt trailer.
Owen said:

I too use the 18v dewalt, but while using it i find that the rpm is just not sufficient to cut with the bit. Thought I had a dull bit. As for the pressure,  I just use  the drill do the work and follow down with the drill.  However using the electric drill I find a high rpm and thus a better cut. Just watch our for it. the end result are some nice holes in the bottom of your pocket hole jig..

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_