Kreg Owners' Community

Hi Everyone,

I am finishing up the construction of a bookcase/shelving unit (roughly hip height but wide), which is made of mostly (98%) pine (except for some pieces that were ripped from 2x4s [not pressure-treated of course]).  Looking ahead at what I will do to finish the piece, I originally thought prime and paint it white, but a relative saw it and felt that painting it would be a shame as it would hide the nice grain of the pine, so he suggested staining at least the top of the unit.

I know from what I have read that staining pine can be tricky because it tends to  be blotchy.  I know about sanding well and using a wood conditioner before staining to help even how the wood absorbs the stain.

The main question is, after this preparation, can I stain it a dark color (i.e., Minwax Red Mahogany), or is staining pine a dark color a total "no no"?  Does it need to be a light stain?

I know to use a test piece first.

I just don't want to mess anything up.  I've painted lots of things but never stained a thing and want to make sure I do a nice job.  

I really could use some help.  Thanks everybody!

Views: 514

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Keith,

In staining blotchy woods (maple/pine etc.), I spray the stain, you actually tone the wood.  You don't want the stain to absorb, you want the stain to dry as fast as possible and not absorb into the open grain, that's where your blotch comes from.  I buy concentrated stain from transtint dyes and mix it with denatured alcohol then spray it.  A 2oz. bottle is around $20, but it yields a gallon of dye. (I mix the stain with a whole gallon of alcohol)  If you have an air compressor, woodcraft sells a decent gun for $40 and it works very well.  You apply thin coats until you reach the color that you want.  I now also swear by oil modified poly by Minwax, it dries like lacquer, water cleanup and is very durable.  This is how I stain my cabinets and the topcoat I use.  I think there are some things on Youtube about it and you can also check out some pictures on my page.  Hope this helps.

thanks, Justin....the Minwax poly you are referring to --- that's the "water-based oil modified" poly, or their "polycrylic" product?

anybody else have any opinions?

It is true that pine can be very tricky to accept a stain.   If the table is still in the assembly stage,  have you considered making the top from Oak?   I made a table last year for first time out of pine with a oak top.   The body of the table was painted and I stained the top.   Should be a picture here if you need a visual.   I know that does not help with your pine staining question.   I have just had very little success staining pine so I know your concern.

Hi Keith. Justin and Rita are right,I have been spraying and brushing stain on ,I prefer to use a brush then wipe after a certain amount of soaking time,the soaking time is important just allow all the pieces the same amount of time. I have been using the varathane poly,I really like it a lot more than the minwax and I almost always use sherwin Williams Sherwood BAC wiping stains, I have had great sucsess and it comes out great.hope that helps

@ Rita --->  unfortunately while it is still technically still in construction (only one or two more small steps before fully constructed), the top has already been made and attached, so the Oak top, while a nice idea, won't help me here....thanks anyway :-)

@ Rich---> I will have to look into the products you referred to.  Maybe I'll give them a shot instead of the Minwax

Rich,

is that Varathane poly the brush on spray can version?

Hi Keith. I buy it by the gallon then spray it on ,several coats and sand very lightly every 2coats. 3 -4 coats generally is what I do and the finish is excellent. Spraying is the best way you will really like to outcome.

your biggest challenge is the varied grain opening in pine. some open areas will suck it in while others are tighter and won't get too dark. try some of this first. http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/preparation/minwax-prestain-woo...

Water based Oil Modified is what you want.

Keith Woythaler said:

thanks, Justin....the Minwax poly you are referring to --- that's the "water-based oil modified" poly, or their "polycrylic" product?

anybody else have any opinions?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_