Kreg Owners' Community

Hello All,

I am fairly new at woodwork and have a slight problem. I have built a headboard and a bed frame. Both were built using the Kreg Jig (I love this tool !) I purchased all the wood at the same time. I built the headboard and stained it no problem. I have now built the bed frame and stained it. The problem is the two items are not the same shade now. I used the same can of stain. I built the two items about three weeks apart.The bed frame is quiet a bit darker..now what do I do..??

Should I have built both items then stained them both ?

any suggestions would be very helpful,

Derrick Williams

Views: 849

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like using the oil based Minwax stains. Sand the wood smooth, before applying the stain. I top the wood with Minwax polyurethane, oil based. The also have spar polyurethane for exterior use.
Another method of getting a darker color is to steam an area or piece with any kind of steam machine or steam iron and let it dry before application of stain. The heat and moisture will open the grain of the wood to allow deeper and darker color. Ditto on Minwax Products. 

Mike Robson said:

HI bennett....sorry for not responding sooner.

I have always used Minwax products...I have good luck with them.

Craig Sims said:

In the past I have had the same problem or something simular. My project comes out darker than I want, or it is supposed to have a red tent and it is brown. What wood conditioner do you recommendand where do I buy it?

Mike Robson said:
Was the headboard exposed to direct sunlight when drying ? ...and yes it is best to finish any "set" pieces at the same time if possible...you may also want to try wood conditioner before staining, especially if on pine.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_