Kreg Owners' Community

I have been meaning to add this for a while - kind of my lessons learned on using Kreg tools.  It is also on the blog area, where I will add more about why/how I came up with the rules.  I have also been meaning to add pictures of projects, but when I tend to get free time, I am building!

Any comments encouraged, esp with #4, which I believe to be true (but can be corrected!)

Sean

1.    If you can buy it, don't build it

2.    Start small and keep on building

3.    If the project is twice as large as your last, the sawdust increases four fold

4.    With shelves, it is not the strength of the screw that holds up the weight, but the friction of the joint.  Make sure it is flush and tight.

5.    Don't forget that Kreg screws can be used without pocket holes

6.    It is often easier to assemble upside down

7.    Build something your family likes or needs and you can keep on building

8.    If you design for remote assembly/disassembly, you can build larger than door openings and take it when you move

9.    With new wood, start with the lowest torque setting on your drill.  Keep going up until the joint has no gap/is flush.  

10.    Be careful with softwood - if you miss the pocket hole, the screw will still go through, but will break the surface on the other side

Views: 167

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ref. #1........Are you sure you're on the right forum? I find the opposite to be true.
I agree with all but #1 and #6.
I refuse to buy anything anymore... even from high-end furniture stores. If it is not sawdust it is veneer over poplar.
and
Upon attempting to assemble something upside down I ruined a perfectly good pair of contacts and passed out from the blood rushing to my head. (LOL... little woodworking humor there)
Ha ha! Perhaps poorly worded ... I meant start assembling from the top and work down. I was putting together some CD shelves that had the pocket holes underneath when it dawned on me that if I put the top onto the two sides, turned it upside down, and then keep adding shelves until I got to the bottom that it was a whole lot easier than the other way around.

Perhaps obvious, but pre-Kreg, I had always assembled bottom up.

As for #1, if all you can buy is veneer over poplar and you want solid wood, then you actually agree with me - you are building what you cannot buy! I on the other hand am doing a lot of projects with glue colored with sawdust (ie, MDF), but I am not trying to make the shelves I can buy in a box at Walmart, I am doing custom designs that fit an area in the house, etc.

Perhaps I should have called this Sean's Newbie Rules ...

Thanks for the comment!

Sean

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_