Kreg Owners' Community

what screw would one use to fasten 1" wood to 2" wood?

Views: 872

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would probably go with the 1.5"

James,

For this application you will want to set everything up for 1" and then use your 1 1/2" screw.  If you have any other questions please let us know.

I have been pondering on this for a while now.....actually got into a short discussion about the HD, now I have been told it will be good enough to use my standard Kreg Jig. Now the question is what size screws. I am attaching 5/4 soft maple to 5 1/2" table legs,also soft maple. These will be the top rails on an open table, almost like a work table, that is housing a counter top that weighs approximately 90 lbs. There will also be a 6 burner gas stove mounted in the counter top. The counter top is 2" douglas fir and is actually some sort of self supporting flooring that my boss was given. I am planning to go into the legs as well as the counter top.Suggestions? I know it needs to be something bigger than the 1 1/2" screws that I use to put cornhole boards together.....LOL.

Tim,

for attaching 5/4 soft maple to 5 1/2" table legs,

I'd use the 2-1/2" long screws.

I want deep penetration of the screw that goes into the base material, I'm attaching the member to, thus the reason for the 2-1/2" screws.

Thanks Ken.....you are a solid resource and I appreciate the quick response. I will post pics as I make progress.

Tim,

Thanks for your thank you, and

timely reply.

Happy building.

Tim Hadaway said:

Thanks Ken.....you are a solid resource and I appreciate the quick response. I will post pics as I make progress.

I saw a video somewhere about this very question.  It showed how to join two different thicknesses of wood and how to decide what screw you needed.  I have searched online for it and cannot find it.  Does anyone know where that is?

I'm using the Kreg jig and fastening two 3/4" red oak boards to make a table top.  I assume I will need a fine thread screw but I'm unsure on the screw size.  Can someone help me one please?  Thanks for your time.

Try the "search" field---

located in the upper RH corner of this page.

http://kregjig.ning.com/main/search/search?q=joining+two+different+...

Several discussions are comments contained herein.

Suzy said:

I saw a video somewhere about this very question.  It showed how to join two different thicknesses of wood and how to decide what screw you needed.  I have searched online for it and cannot find it.  Does anyone know where that is?

http://kregjig.ning.com/main/search/search?q=chart

lots of info contained herein, Glen.

Glen Luttrell said:

I'm using the Kreg jig and fastening two 3/4" red oak boards to make a table top.  I assume I will need a fine thread screw but I'm unsure on the screw size.  Can someone help me one please?  Thanks for your time.

I too was unsure of screw sizing! So I bought a Kreg Screw Chart (wheel) on E-bay for around $10. Now I can find it fast!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_