Kreg Owners' Community

rough cut tommy mac...lame or what? and some other stuff

First I will state I miss New Yankee Workshop..even watching repeats gave me insights and refreshed my knowledge base...aided in my design and assembly of custom projects... actually a show that every one could learn from because there actually was "work" being accomplished...

Rough Cut..lame in so many ways..If I hear "alright guys" one more time I will kick something..( could be a drinking game though).and though Tommy is a talented wood worker his show sucks..there is no real "work" being done..just a lot of "talk" about what was done..it should be a radio program...no video required..his guests are as relevant as selecting  which paint stick to stir stain ...there is no useful knowledge shared on his show...

This leads to my assessment...

all the new shows on HGTV and DIY have gotten into the "reality of stupidity" mode

I watched one show where they bought a new side by side over a drawer refrigerator and it would not fit through the door.. the mother son team were stumped..no idea how they ever got it in..

And the rehab/ remodel shows...are as interesting as watching grass get mowed..TOH still has relevance...and the silliness of Ask TOH is entertaining and educational....

thank God for "the wood wrights shop" "American woodshop" "woodsmiths shop" and "Hometime" at least there are still shows that entertain and educate..

I must admit I learned all I know from my Grandfather, a 30 year Union Carpenter..whose work is still seen in St  Louis..he would refer to his self as a "wood butcher" and"saw dust creator"  but he was rehabbing and flipping homes in the 50's and 60's...also had rental property that he rehabbed but was sold to make room for Hwy 44 improvements... He could do anything and everything from the foundation  to the truss on a house...

I was removing a wall for a friend in his new "old house"  and my younger brother was helping/watching..My brother asked me"where did you learn to do all this rehab stuff" I said "all those weekends I spent at grandpa's house  I was learning how"  of 6 grandsons I was the only allowed unsupervised in his shop..(and I can still count to 10 on my fingers)..I built and assisted on many proje

Views: 6645

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have to agree with the rest of the guy/gals. Tommy Mac's show is a waste of good T.V. air time. I was a Tool & Die Maker for McDonnell-Douglas for 37 yrs, retired now & got into woodworking because of Craftsman like NYW (Norm) & David Marks. They take the time to explain techniques & tricks of the trade. Tommy just runs his mouth. I have yet to learn anything new from his show. Now I watch "Woodsmith Shop" on PBS and my skill level has increased by leaps & bounds.

I hate to put anyone down, but someone needs to tell them (who ever runs the show) that wood working folks are thirsty for new & exciting info.

Take care & God Bless.   Don Foley 

Years ago I undertook the task of installing tounge-and-groove cedar on a wall in my family room.  I didn't usually watch TV on Saturday afternoons, but I had I left it on after watching a cooking show while I worked.  Well, NYW came on, and I watched Norm complete some piece and thought to myself "I could do that".  That was a crap-ton of sawdust ago, and I hope to meet Norm some day and tell him how much joy his show has brought to my life.

Don -

Don't mean to sidetrack, but I had to comment on your background.  My grandfather was a Patternmaker for Curtis-Wright and New York Airbrake, and a cabinet maker for fun.  I doubt I'll ever again see the level of craftsmanship that man had with respect to wood.  To think that he could produce--in wood--patterns that resulted in .001-inch tolerances in a finished metal casting is beyond my humble sawdust-manufacturing skills.  In today's age of CNC machines, patternmakers are a lost treasure.  You tool-n-die guys are pretty amazing, too.

Donald Foley said:

I have to agree with the rest of the guy/gals. Tommy Mac's show is a waste of good T.V. air time. I was a Tool & Die Maker for McDonnell-Douglas for 37 yrs, retired now & got into woodworking because of Craftsman like NYW (Norm) & David Marks. They take the time to explain techniques & tricks of the trade. Tommy just runs his mouth. I have yet to learn anything new from his show. Now I watch "Woodsmith Shop" on PBS and my skill level has increased by leaps & bounds.

I hate to put anyone down, but someone needs to tell them (who ever runs the show) that wood working folks are thirsty for new & exciting info.

Take care & God Bless.   Don Foley 

I pretty much have to agree with the consensus of the comments. I "tried" & wanted to like rough cut W/ Tommy Mac...but I just don't. I give Norm Abrams the credit for getting me started having an interest in woodworking in the first place, NYW did teach me many things. Woodsmith is pretty good for what is available now, & American woodshop is ok, but 2'nd in choice. I hope they come up with some new ones soon.

I like woodsmith show best of the current programs. They try each week to build somthing and also show you a short cut as to how to make the project simpler. They are also using kreg jig in some of there projects . Most of the projects could be built in our DIY home shops.

I would rather watch re-runs of NYW than Tommy Mac

How do you all, spend so much time watching tv?

Well, they appear on TV on the weekend early in the morning.

Since I am retired I can watch anytime I want too.

Ken Darga said:

Kent,

The only trouble with retirement---

I never get a day off!

Kent Hogan said:

I have a tv in ym shop and watch when I am sanding most of the time

Kent Hogan said:

Ken Darga said:

New Yankee Workshop is still my favorite, even if only reruns. Woodsmith Shop used to provide an easy to follow format (great for us ancient saw dusters), a steady pace and non-edited video of most of their procedures. Now, the show is much too fast paced and hard for this old feller to follow. Woodwright comes in a close third, and Tommy Mac? I agree not much actual work takes place.

This year the only shows left on our local PBS station is the Woodwright Shop and American Workshop. All others have been discontinued. Too bad, I have discontinued donations...

"New Yankee Workshop" is the show that got me started and is still my go to show. I have several of the shows on DVD and watch them when I need a little motivation. I do watch The "Woodsmiths Shop" when I can and the other shows if I do not have any thing to do. I am glad to know that there are others that feel the same as I do about Norm Abrams and his work.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_