Kreg Owners' Community

Has anyone ever had any experience with buying any of the factory refurbished tools that are for sale on Ebay, Amazon or any other of the tool outlets that are online.

They are alot less money than purchasing new, But I wonder if the quality is the same

Views: 3783

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The place I had mine rebuilt paid shipping .Also to I think Interstae batt rebuilds if you have one near you

Gene seems to me I saw a You tube video on this once

I havent rebuilt a battery yet, but we have a place local that is called Batteries Plus, and they rebuild... not sure of the cost. For my B&D 18volt batteries, I just find a $50 drill with two batteries and buy it to replace my batteries. seeing as how one battery cost $39.... 50 for two plus a spare drill is a pretty good savings.

As for Reconditioned tools.... Honestly, I try to stay away from them... most of the time the cost for new versus recon isnt much. A few years ago, my truck was broken into and all my power tools were stolen. I had to replace everything. I needed to replace my RotoZip tool. I searched prices high and low. I found it on EBay through Toolking at a much better savings then anywhere else, but it was reconditioned. I figured that as little as I used it, reconditioned would be ok for this tool. I bought it, and it came and a guard was broken on it, I called both toolking and rotozip, both sent me a replacement part. Toolkings replacment arrived in about 5 days. The part from RotoZip came in about 2 weeks. I have used toolking since for other things. I have actually been looking at a Ryobi combo kit from them for $120....

As with what Jay said, but I will add that the company you get it from also counts. My experience with ToolKing in the past was positive, I believe them to stand behind what they sell.

Hi Mike - I agree, the difference between new and recon prices is slowly closing. Used to pay between 50-75% new price for a good recon, now it's closing to 80% or better. I try not to get any of that stuff off eBay either. I usually buy from CPOoutlets.com, mainly because they care a BUNCH of different brands, reconditionedsales.com for Hitachi and Makita also some pretty good prices on shipping, Tyler tool and Tool King. I think Tyler Tool has closed though but I haven't confirmed that. The major difference I've found between a reconditioned tool and a new one is the length of the warranty.

Mike Kahle said:

I havent rebuilt a battery yet, but we have a place local that is called Batteries Plus, and they rebuild... not sure of the cost. For my B&D 18volt batteries, I just find a $50 drill with two batteries and buy it to replace my batteries. seeing as how one battery cost $39.... 50 for two plus a spare drill is a pretty good savings.

As for Reconditioned tools.... Honestly, I try to stay away from them... most of the time the cost for new versus recon isnt much. A few years ago, my truck was broken into and all my power tools were stolen. I had to replace everything. I needed to replace my RotoZip tool. I searched prices high and low. I found it on EBay through Toolking at a much better savings then anywhere else, but it was reconditioned. I figured that as little as I used it, reconditioned would be ok for this tool. I bought it, and it came and a guard was broken on it, I called both toolking and rotozip, both sent me a replacement part. Toolkings replacment arrived in about 5 days. The part from RotoZip came in about 2 weeks. I have used toolking since for other things. I have actually been looking at a Ryobi combo kit from them for $120....

As with what Jay said, but I will add that the company you get it from also counts. My experience with ToolKing in the past was positive, I believe them to stand behind what they sell.

All the tools I buy are factory refurbished. All Black and Decker. Granted, I am no serious woodworker by any stretch of the imagination, just a hobbyist. I have had no problems so far and would recommend buying refurbished as that is what my budget can afford.

Yes, I have purchased a number of refurbed tools from Amazon, Bostitch compressor and nail guns, Dewalt battery operated, and a number of Bosch tools, they have all worked great, can hardly tell they were refurbish tools. I stay away from low end named tools in this area, I don't mind taking a chance with the top name models, since there is a good base to build on, great luck so far. One other note, I purchase a lot from Amazon just for the ease of getting products, I joined the Prime account on Amazon which saves you shipping charges and you get the product in a couple of days, seems to pay off if you purchase any big items since shipping builds up pretty quick.

Good luck if you try it, has been great for me.

Regards

Joe

Yes, I have purchased several tools this way. Good way to save some money. They have given me just as good service as new. Just make sure it has a warranty with it as most carry the same as new. Go for it.

Found an outlet store - Toos Direct that carries several brands of referb and blemish tools.  Just bought a blem Ridgid router - both bases, bag, tools, etc. $159 - they had refrerb units for $10 less.

Still got at least a 3-year warranty.

Also have purchased from CBO - they had Fein Multimaster (new, but the box had been opened) for $199 + $6 shipping.

BAtteries Plus and some Interstate stores rebuild cordless batteries.  Have two Porter Cable 14.4 that were done - total cost anout 2/3 of the price for one new one.

I have purchased sanders and cordless tools . So far they seem to work ok. Just be sure that they are factory refurbished.

Purchased a Dremel Multitool from CPO on line, haft the price of new, recently used it on a tile job and it

performed as if it were new.

I called one of the refurbish resellers some time ago as I was looking at refurbished battery powered tools.  The customer service rep. kind of giggled when I asked about refurbished batteries.  He said that all of their refurbished tools were new - typically they were the tool that the wife bought for her husbands birthday, he tried it out and did not like it and returned it to Home Depot.  They cannot be sold as new once opened and these retailers have contracts with OEM's to sell as refurbished.  I have bought many since and have found them to be as good as now so far.   

Ray, over the past few years, I have purchased several refurbished tools from CPO Outlet and am very happy with the tools and with the savings.  I began small with a Bosch portable driver, then a Porter Cable 892 Router Combo, and my most recent purchase was a Dewalt 735 Planer.  I am very satisfied with the performance of these refurbished tools.  I always stay with 'first quality' brands and look for specials that include free shipping.  I also purchased a refurbished Electrolux vacuum for half the price of retail, free shipping.  So don't hesitate to give this form of shopping a try.

Paco

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_