Kreg Owners' Community

Does anyone know if it's possible to use my Kreg jig to join  2x6 bed rails to 4x4 posts using 2.5 inch screws? I was thinking of 3-4 holes per rail side for a total of 12-16 for the twin-sized daybed. Strength is important to me as is the ability to deconstruct the sides for a move.

I certainly COULD order bed fasteners, but I was hoping to complete my daybed before company comes this weekend and I'd have to order the fasteners. Thanks. Sara

Views: 3433

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Sara - Sure it's possible.. And probably just the ticket for getting one together quickly. It's the repeated  disassembly/reassembly that may bog down. I suspect after tearing it down and putting it together a few times, it will no longer tighten up.
Thanks John. We don't plan to move much as we are quite settled, but it's always a possibility. Maybe I'll put it together for this weekend and then see if I should make changes later. The bed rails aren't very much work so I could also always duplicate them easily if need be.
Sounds like a plan - Good Luck:-)

I have built many beds and I personally don't recommend this connection for simple reason they are not  gearded for heavy load limits.I would use a bed connection system that sells at Rocler or other sources. Just my opinion

Good luck

I would go with Jens post. It will make it easy to take apart and to assemble. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11&filter=bed%20hardware

I would recommend that myself except it doesn't meet the OP requirement of obtaining the hardware by the weekend.

Another way would be to use hanger bolts in the ends of the bed rails with a counter sink in the bed posts to recess the washer and nut. Cover the countersink hole with wood plugs. I would recommend two 3/8" hanger bolts in each end of each bed rail, 8 bolt assemblies all told. Hardware should be available at most hardware stores.

will delaney said:

I would go with Jens post. It will make it easy to take apart and to assemble. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11&filter=bed%20hardware

Nuts. After much deliberation, I've ordered the Rockler system, although it doesn't look like much and it makes me nervous that they don't give a weight limit for their hardware when properly installed. My daughter's bed, which I did not build, is solid but uses only two countersunk bolts in each 1x6 rail. I don't expect my daybed to take on much weight but who knows, maybe my little guy will monkey around and jump on the bed when I'm not looking (all 26 pounds of him). Looks like my company will be sleeping on a mattress on the floor for a while...

I even asked Rockler if they would FedEx the parts to me, but they said no.

I know it will be fine. Rockler has a good reputation and if you read the reviews on the hardware you can see that they were positive . Just sorry you won't get it on time. There are a lot of plans for making beds and headboards with the Kreg jig and now that you have the hardware that could be you next project. I will be looking for you bed project post. Happy and safe woodworking.

Thanks all. I think I've found a temporary solution for my weekend guest. I was going to build a trundle bed "one day" for my daybed but it turns out that I have all the materials on hand for that project now. So, I will get my bed finished in time, it just won't be the right one.

Sara,

Pocket holes would be OK as you are using  the max amount of screws possible IE 4.

I would also suggest

The timber frame is hardwood and its a single bed only

1. Gauge the max length of the screw to be fitted, and use them I think 2.5" is the max kreg make however nothing stopping you using decking screws

2. Consider also using a high strength glue adhesive to supplement the screws if possible.

enjoy

Robert Brennan

Thanks Robert.

I ended up doing that for my trundle bed, which is a solid bed that doesn't disassemble (pocket holes with alternating straight 5" screws and wood glue). For the daybed, I'd like the possibility of being able to take it apart in case we move.

Sara

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_