Kreg Owners' Community

I have an old white oak rocking chair that I salvaged from a landfill about 18 years ago, it was in really bad shape, but like the Real Estate Agent trying to sell a dilapidated house, it has possibilities! Lots of repairing and refinishing and a new cushion later I had a beautiful Mission Style rocking chair. I have searched for all these years for a Mission Style end table and foot stool to compliment the rocker, none were found at a reasonable price.
After I built my first Kreg Jig inspired end table to match an antique dresser and bed I had the confidence that I could make my own foot stool and end table. The major problem I had was cutting the slots for the slats, I bought a cheap plunge router, $49.00, from Harbor Freight and built a rather awkward jig to cut the slats. I did a pretty good job considering my jig was made from odds and ends in my workshop, would have been much easier if I could afford a mortising jig.
The first photo is shows the end table, all the joints are totally pocket holes as the bottom shelf hides the pocket holes for the bottom rails. The 2 lone pocket holes under the top were required because the front piece of oak was warped and It was very difficult to clamp it flush with the second piece.
The second photo shows the foot stool, except for the biscuits glued to the bottom rails and legs, the other joints are pocket holes. I glued all the joints with Gorilla Wood Glue as I have 2 overly active great
grandsons.
 The last photo shows the rocker and its new friends, the foot stool and end table. The ends of the slats on the rocker had been turned somehow to fit in round holes in the arms and rails, sort of a doweling procedure? I never could figure out how I could duplicate the turning so I elected to use slots. Considering the difficulties in making the slots with a router and home made jig I may have been further ahead to turn them.
My wife wants an armoir for her computer etc., I'll have to design one to her liking and do a material cost estimate to see when she thinks we can afford it!

Views: 798

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Beautiful work!
Sweet now that is some nice wood work.
Dave
great project, and you even showed the us the KPHs!
You should be proud of this workmanship It will be in family for years
I think you guys and gals may be new to Kreg PH jig but not woodworking.

very nice design it looks like a matched set.
Great project, Don. Really appreciated the photos of the underside of the project. Looks like very sturdy construction!

Did you do the upholstery as well?
WoW ! Look at the "Purple" walls and door.
Nice job on the ottoman and side table. It looks like you bought these 3 pieces as a set.

I won't tell if YOU don't.

I like it when "furniture" pieces have a 'story' behind them. :-)
Regarding the upholstery, I went to a local upholstery shop and bought the vinyl, there was 2 yards on the roll so he gave all of it to us, along with the foam and the batting. I did the installation. We have always been do-it-yourselfers so it was quite easy.
Don

KregRep said:
Great project, Don. Really appreciated the photos of the underside of the project. Looks like very sturdy construction!

Did you do the upholstery as well?
Hey Don, after all the blood ,sweat and tears I am sure it's a really good feeling to complete a project like that and be able to kick back, relax and admire what you did with your own two hands. Keep up the Great Work.
Nice. I bet you just love sitting in that rocker....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_