Kreg Owners' Community

My combination bookcase/wine rack is finally done.  It was fun and very satisfying.  Creating something where there was nothing but wood, stain, screws etc is truly rewarding.  I wish I had a real woodworking shop with professional tools.  Now that would be a dream come true.  

I wanted a piece of furniture that would fit in with the  craftsman-arts & crafts style of the other furniture in our home.  That style, BTW,  is not craftsman's  as in Sears, Roebuck.

There were a few details that did not work out as planned, but for a first project and not having professional tools, I am happy, but I only give myself an B+.

I devoted around 100 hours to the project over 3 and  1/2 weeks.   So even at $5/hour, the piece would have to sell at over $500 and that would not include the approximately $200 of materials.   So the next time I see a piece of custom-built furniture made from wood with a really high price tag, I will understand that the price is fair and maybe even a little on the low side.  I remember seeing really beautiful wood cabinets and desks when on the road that were being offered at prices like $4,000 -- $7,000 on up to $10,000.  They were worth every penny. Unfortunately, few people are willing to pay for custom work like this.  But then, my case is not for sale. 

When I put the case together today, I was so thankful that I decided to not use any glue.  Those pocket screws hold so tightly that I saw no reason to use glue  That turned out to be a bonus because twice I had to remove a shelf to give me enough room to drive screws and then re-install the shelf. Had I used glue, there would have been some wailing and gnashing of teeth. 

I also re-learned the need to take one's time and to think, think, think.  And measure, measure, measure.

When I removed shelves I wanted to find a way to make sure I got them back in the exact same spot -- I did not want to enlarge a screw hole and loose holding power.  While I did use blocks and lots of clamps, the third photo shows a piece of blue tape on which I drew a line with a Sharpie and then cut the tape.  All I had to do was align the mark for spot-on accuracy. 
Some observations:
1)  I now know why people save wood scraps.  Many, many times they came in so handy,
2)  It is important not to get rushed.  I had to tell myself to slow down and think.  This avoided a lot of mistakes, but not the time I used a coarse-thread screw and ended up splitting a piece of oak face trim.
3.  Get and use really good rulers.  I can't emphasize enough  the need to really check and re-check measurements. 
4.  If possible, drive pocket screws in my hand.  That way I could keep from over driving a screw through another piece of wood -- even though I can adjust the torque on my chuck I like hand driving of screws so much more.  Screws going into oak were coated with paraffin. 
5. Do not work on the floor.  Create some sort of stable work surface.  I used two really strong saw horses with a thick piece of smooth hardboard screwed to the horses.
6.  Clamp and secure both pieces as best as possible to prevent boards from moving.  
7.  I love my Kreg jig.  I hope to use it often in the future

Views: 1135

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great job!!

Well done!  I have the Kreg shelf pin jig and find it very useful - the shelving can be adjusted to suit and the holes are nearly invisible.  Enjoy your next project - can't wait to see the pictures!

Very nice job George, great details and a beautiful finish , thanks for sharing !!!!

Nice George,

Looked like a fun build.

nice work

Nice work George! I like the dual-purpose idea of the design. Good job on staining and finishing, as well. Keep up the great work!

KregRep

Looking good and sturdy cabinet! Like the strong build and the design which has a dual function. Great job!

Nice looking piece George, good work and great comments. Keep up the good work.

Very nice looking work, George. You did a decent job of matching your existing furniture, too. Keep it up. 

Thanks, Hugh -- and others, too. 

The stain did not match as well as the sample I made, but that happens.  All in all, I am pleased.  Thanks for your compliment.

Hugh Clare said:

Very nice looking work, George. You did a decent job of matching your existing furniture, too. Keep it up. 

Great job George!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_