Kreg Owners' Community

My husband bought me a miter saw for Mother's Day (great hubby, right?) So anyway I really wanted the sliding saw that can cut a 12" board but he wasn't sure what to get so he got a regular miter saw. The one he got is a Ridgid brand that has a lifetime warranty. For the same price I can get a Ryobi sliding saw but I'm sure it's not as heavy duty as this one plus has a 2 yr warranty. But I am just a gal that makes things here and there and not a pro so maybe the less-heavy-duty-but-more-versatile one would be better for me? I just don't want to exchange it and then regret it. He is on board with whatever I want to do (but we can't really spring for the $500 sliding Ridgid brand and I wouldn't want to, being just a hobbyist and all).

Views: 843

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ask yourself how often are you really going to use a 12 inch wide board?  For the odd occasion you need to cut one of those you could use a cheap circular saw.

Hi, The sliding saw is really a nice feature and one of the saws that has been out on the market the longest is the Hitachi slide saw.  They started making them in a one way compound miter and the saw was much smaller using a small blade but held its accuracy well.  Now Hitachi has a larger miter saw of which tilts to cut compound miters one way only however now has a 12 inch blade that will cut a 12' X1 inch at a 90 degree wihout a problem.   It pivots to cut a miter at a 45 degree miter on the left and at 57 degree on the right .  It has a laser build into the saw that does not require battery power and can be turned on and off with a switch.  The saw slide is smooth and positive. 

I have one of which I am very pleased with and cut all kinds of miters of which are consistant in accurate cuts.  The only thing I did to get it to cut accurate and give a smooth cut is to change out the blade to a forrest 12 inch miter blade.

They are actually cheap for what they give you at about $400.00 dollars.  The saw is a C12RSH.  It is one of which has a large foot print but is actually light and easily moved.  Good saw and worth the time to check out.

Thanks. I actually have had the need to cut 12" and since I can't handle a circular saw or table saw, I have to wait until my husband has time to cut it for me. I've also tried cutting from both sides (right now I use my brother-in-law's regular miter saw) and that works but I never end up with the cut line perfectly  matched up. I also have a jig saw that I can't handle beyond maybe a 1 x 4. I have carpal tunnel syndrome on the right and fell on my left hand left a few years ago and it still bothers me. That's why the miter saw is a perfect solution for me.

Andy H said:

Ask yourself how often are you really going to use a 12 inch wide board?  For the odd occasion you need to cut one of those you could use a cheap circular saw.

Thanks. $400 is not an option here but I'll do some looking. $200 is my limit and that's the price of the Ryobi.

Jay Boutwell said:

Hi, The sliding saw is really a nice feature and one of the saws that has been out on the market the longest is the Hitachi slide saw.  They started making them in a one way compound miter and the saw was much smaller using a small blade but held its accuracy well.  Now Hitachi has a larger miter saw of which tilts to cut compound miters one way only however now has a 12 inch blade that will cut a 12' X1 inch at a 90 degree wihout a problem.   It pivots to cut a miter at a 45 degree miter on the left and at 57 degree on the right .  It has a laser build into the saw that does not require battery power and can be turned on and off with a switch.  The saw slide is smooth and positive. 

I have one of which I am very pleased with and cut all kinds of miters of which are consistant in accurate cuts.  The only thing I did to get it to cut accurate and give a smooth cut is to change out the blade to a forrest 12 inch miter blade.

They are actually cheap for what they give you at about $400.00 dollars.  The saw is a C12RSH.  It is one of which has a large foot print but is actually light and easily moved.  Good saw and worth the time to check out.

Gale;

Now we know that you must cut 12 inches and the budget can not be 400 dollars so Jay's option is out.

I would like to know how thick and what is the material you will be cutting, also are you talking lite, medium or heavy use for the saw?

These will be issues for durability, but Jay made a excellent point you can make a saw perform amazing by investing in a high quality blade. Jay is also right that Hitachi saw is great as well.

Jeff

Mostly it would be 1" (3/4") thick. If I used anything thicker it probably wouldn't be as wide (like a  2 x 4, 2 x 6,  maybe).

It would definitely be light use. I like making things but I'm not very fast at it so it's not something I'd be using daily or anything. Maybe a weekend thing.

Gale;

Then you should be all right with a non name brand when it comes to tools I always try to buy at the high end, but a friend of mine who was one of the greatest cabinet makers I have ever had the pleasure to meet only bought low end power tools but the work he turned out nobody could believe he had the skills.

So take Jay's advice and get the best blade you can buy.

Jeff

Hi Gale, I read where you could not handle a table saw.  If you have a standard sized table saw there is the option of using a table saw sled which is very safe accurate and easy to use.  You can build a sled with very little work and for almost nothing.  They can be made to handle both straight cuts as well as miter cuts.  The miter cuts are done by moving the sled fence. 

The other option is to look for a used saw of which some are good to use and some are in need of some work to get the saw back into shape.  I have not looked on E-bay but that sometimes is a good location for finding tools as a better price than you can get at the regular stores.  Craigs list often have this type tools for good prices.

Just another option however I do not know if you have a table saw available that would be except a sled.

Jeff agrees with the blade as being good advice.  I know that a top of the line blade will make a bad tool a great tool and a joy to use.  If the saw will spin the blade the better blade will make it cut like wood is butter and will also make an under powered tool cut well,easy and true.  I use forest brand blades as my choice but there are many excellent blades out there that will last a long time and serve you with excellent cuts.  I wish you much happiness and success in your woodworking adventures.  What ever you do please work safely.

Jeff Metcalf said:

Gale;

Then you should be all right with a non name brand when it comes to tools I always try to buy at the high end, but a friend of mine who was one of the greatest cabinet makers I have ever had the pleasure to meet only bought low end power tools but the work he turned out nobody could believe he had the skills.

So take Jay's advice and get the best blade you can buy.

Jeff

Hi Gale to illustrate my point here is what I found on Craigs list here in Salem Oregon;  This is the same saw that I have.  Not sure of how your area is but I see this type stuff often.

Gale this one is on E-bay with free shipping.  It is a saw that would fit your needs. Happy shopping!!!

thanks. We actually don't have a craiglist here. We live out in the sticks. Our classifieds in the newspaper consists of about 2 items for sale, 3 jobs available, a few free dogs and cats, and the rest are car dealer ads. I'm sadly not kidding-I just looked at them in Sunday's paper.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_