Kreg Owners' Community

hello , I do a lot of wood working with exotic woods such as wenge , purpleheart , sapele , ebony , and others. i am interested in purchasing a pin nailer does anyone know if any of the pin nailers on the market are strong enough to penetrate extreme hardwoods. the exotics i use are a lot harder than red oak. I just want to make sure that i am going to get the desired result not just purchase another tool i "might" use. thanks for your time and responses.patrick

Views: 720

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Porter Cable, and basically any brand will penetrate exotics, you just got to have the proper air pressure
I've had good success with my Ridgid 18ga nailer.  I have it connected to a 10gal vertical compressor.
Look into Grizzly tools they have great products and fairly affordable
grizzly does not have pin nailers

Strange bought a porter cable for $75 at grtzzly for christmas. Now $89 was on sale.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/PIN100-23-Gauge-Pin-Nailer-Kit/H5042

Chad Robbins said:

grizzly does not have pin nailers

I've had success with my Porter-Cable Pin Nailer.

Adjusting the proper ''outlet pressure'' on the compressor, does the job nicely.

Hi Patrick - I have a Porter Cable PN 100 that I like a lot. As was pointed out, with harder woods you may need to bump the outlet pressure a bit, I usually run about 90 on most everything except the framing nailer. It wants 110.

Porter Cable is a nice little gun but if I were to buy another it would likely be this on:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-NP35A-Gauge-Micro-Nailer/dp/B003SHDM8...

Shoots a little longer pin and has a nose guard. Porter Cable doesn't, at least mine didn't and none was listed as as an option. It will leave a bit of a dimple in softer woods and ply.

Fred - I don't know if you have ever seen a 23 guage pin. Makes an 18 guage look like a railroad spike. Perfect for tacking trim into place or sticking down templates. Usually don't even need to fill them, just a drop or two of water will raise the grain enough to bury the things.

I have to agree with everyone else that my Porter Cable pin nailer has been a great tool!  I lucked out and got mine in a 4 gun set at Home Depot, but I have also seen pin nailers through Grizz too.

I use the 23 Gauge 1 3/8" Headless Pinner from Ridgid, I have no problems at all pinning hardwoods like birch or maple. I use it with the Stanley Bostitch pancake compressor set at 95psi.

When I said grizzly does not have pin nailers I meant they don't have a grizzly brand headless pin nailer. Yes they sell other brands, but seem to be a bit overpriced with them. And as far as ridgid goes I wouldn't use them, they are more targeted for the hobby woodworker!

John Schaben said:

Hi Patrick - I have a Porter Cable PN 100 that I like a lot. As was pointed out, with harder woods you may need to bump the outlet pressure a bit, I usually run about 90 on most everything except the framing nailer. It wants 110.

Porter Cable is a nice little gun but if I were to buy another it would likely be this on:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-NP35A-Gauge-Micro-Nailer/dp/B003SHDM8...

Shoots a little longer pin and has a nose guard. Porter Cable doesn't, at least mine didn't and none was listed as as an option. It will leave a bit of a dimple in softer woods and ply.

Fred - I don't know if you have ever seen a 23 guage pin. Makes an 18 guage look like a railroad spike. Perfect for tacking trim into place or sticking down templates. Usually don't even need to fill them, just a drop or two of water will raise the grain enough to bury the things.

Yes, John, I have seen a 23 ga pinner and, for my use, it's just a little too flimsy.  The nailers are good but I usually need a little more strength than the 23 guage.  For very light tacking, they work great.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_