Kreg Owners' Community

I just bought the K3 Master Kit and want to make the work bench. I don't have one so it seems like a good idea. I just wanted to see what kind of wood (2x4's) everyone used. I'm pretty new so it seems like there are several options out there. Unfortunately the workers at lowe's and home depot aren't much help. Thanks for the responses.

Views: 780

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most of the home improvement stores carry about 3 different types of dimensional lumber...structural stuff, outdoor/decking materials, and the good stuff.

Structural stuff - designed to build things out of that most likely wont be seen. Primary consideration here is strength, and appearance doesn't matter. Most common way you will see this for 2x4s is the rack that says 'stud' right on it. This is a good option for you if you don't care what the legs look like, since they generally are fairly cheap... less than $4 a board for a 2 x 4 x 96".

Outdoor/decking - this is all your stuff designed to withstand the elements, ie Yellawood, Weathershield, pressure treated, etc. Only needed if you are going to put your bench outside in the rain or something. I would definitely NOT use it for anything that would be a contact surface for my project materials since I suspect that the processes used to treat the wood might interfere with finishing.

The good stuff - This is your higher graded lumber and the better the grade the better it looks, and the higher the price. Often called 'appearance lumber' the grading process focuses more on appearance instead of structural strength. You can often spot these simply by looking at it, as their appearance is clearly better.

I found this link Softwood Lumber Grading that may shed some light on what you are looking at.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_