Kreg Owners' Community

Getting ready to start on a vanity and twin glass tower's and glass shelfing.So I just pick up a Kreg shelf pin jig so will see how it works on this project any tips would be nice.

Views: 2542

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Only advice I can provide is have lots of fun on your project!   Will be waiting to hear how it works for you and looking forward to seeing pics.

David , I have the Kreg shelf pin jig and it works great , the only tip I can give you is if you are going to have doors on the front is to  use the far setting on the jig and keep the holes for the pins back from the front edge, we all learn from our mistakes , other than that it is a very good tool , JIM !!!

Thanks Mrs.Rita and James.But James I was thinking about drilling my shelf pins before I put it togather Im one of these poeple who nows were each hole is drilled and how long each peice wood is befor I walk out to the shop.

Thanks again.

Having drilled many thousand shelf pin holes, here's my 2 cent's worth...

• When shelf pin holes are going to share space with pocketholes, i.e., along the front edge of a cabinet side panel, drill the shelf pin holes before the pocketholes! I found it really hard for 2 holes to occupy the same space! ;~0 I got myself out of sequence the other day and had to re-do 2 shelf pin holes that tried to land directly on top of pocketholes, that then had to be recreated after assembly and the pocketholes plugged. ("Doofus" I said to myself ;))
  • Buy 2 jigs. The vast majority of time I need more than 6 shelf pin holes and have to advance and reset the jig up-the-line. Easy enough, but I finally realized the extra $30 was well worth the investment in time and effort savings.

And I still spent less than what most other pin hole jig outfits cost, with the added bonus of now having a nice fresh drill bit!

For building cabinets, you'll find this invaluable tool has a role in virtually every single unit.

Scott

Thanks Scott Ill keep that in main when I got it on the drawing board ( dont line up the Kreg hole's with the shelf pen's hole's) got it but the shelf pin's run about $ 40.00 here so one will have to do. And thanks again.

One of the best pieces of advice I can give with the shlef pin jig is to insert the bit in the guide, lift slightly so that the drill bit isn't touching the wood, and then squeeze the trigger so that the drill bit gets up to speed before it contacts the wood. This will help ensure that the bit enters the wood properly to make a clean hole free from tearout.

KregRep

David,

Ya don't need two of them - it comes with a guide pin - after drilling your first set of holes you move the jig up and set the guide pin in the last hole you made - then the jig is set correctly to continue drilling.

Just my two pennies

Thanks guys but this time out Im only going to try two glass shelfs pre cabinet I thank.

Thanks again

David, The only thing I will say about boring for glass shelves,  Be sure to bore the pin holes far enough from the edges of the glass to avoid breaking problems.  I bore about  at least 1 inch in  from the edge in the front from the rear as I have seen even the tempered glass chip and the 1/4 thick shelves crack.    It is also good to use the steel pins with the protective pad. 

Thanks Jay I was thinking 1 1/4" center but I was thinking pixyglass you now how hard my girls are on furniture and the frist time the wife gets pissed and slams the door.

thanks again

Hi David;

A bit late to be commenting, but here goes. I bought one this past winter to use on a cabinet project. I found the jig worked very well; instructions are clear, results were good. Make sure you're careful in marking your starting holes, but after that everything goes smoothly.

One suggestion; I drilled my holes before I finished the inside of the cabinet, since I wasn't sure how much tearout I might get from the drill. When I stained and urethaned, the holes picked up some of the urethane and I had trouble getting the shelf pins in. I should have waited until after the wood was finished and drilled all the holes then.

Thanks Derek I found shlef pin jig alot easyer to use than may home made jig.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_