Kreg Owners' Community

Has anyone else had any issues with the new Zinc screws from Kreg? I've never had a problem before with the Bronze screw but my very first zinc screw snapped right of in one my walnut face frames! Frustrating to say the least...I do have a box of 5000 bronze screws left but it's discouraging to see Kreg replace a great product with an inferior one.

 

-RM

 

Views: 624

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sorry to hear that you have had an issue with our screws.  I was curious if you have used any other screws in that box.  I'm just trying figure out if it was just one screw that was defective or if it was the whole box.  Either way if you would send me your shipping information and the screw that you had issues with in a private message I would be more than willing to send you a replacement box. 

''hydrogen embrittlement''  can occur during various manufacturing operations. 

Electroplating is a major cause of hydrogen embrittlement.

The result of unintentional introduction of hydrogen into susceptible metals during forming or finishing operations and increases cracking in the material.

 

 

Hi KregCS,

 

I really appreciate your offer and standing by Kreg products. I guess my frustration with the new screws was the fact I was assembling an angled walnut face frame when the screw snapped off causing a major inconvenience. It surprised me because I have driven thousands of the bronze screws before without an issue and I want to have peace of mind that the new screws are manufactured to the same quality. Thanks for your feedback!!

-Ryan
 
KregCS said:

I'm sorry to hear that you have had an issue with our screws.  I was curious if you have used any other screws in that box.  I'm just trying figure out if it was just one screw that was defective or if it was the whole box.  Either way if you would send me your shipping information and the screw that you had issues with in a private message I would be more than willing to send you a replacement box. 

Thanks Ken! It could have been a rare occurrence then. It's just that the bronze screws looked like great quality.

 

-Ryan
 
Ken Darga said:

''hydrogen embrittlement''  can occur during various manufacturing operations. 

Electroplating is a major cause of hydrogen embrittlement.

The result of unintentional introduction of hydrogen into susceptible metals during forming or finishing operations and increases cracking in the material.

 

 

Ryan,

''hydrogen embrittlement'' is not a rare occurrence.

Ryan McLaughlin said:

>>> Thanks Ken! It could have been a rare occurrence .../p>

 

I too, am having snapped screw issues. My first box of 100 zinc screws, 7 of them snapped. Drill clutch is set quite light, the wood is not splitting or cracking, and the heads aren't seating/joint isn't pulled together. I"m hoping its just a bad batch - but its something worth keeping an eye on.

And I will add that Kreg, to their credit, has offered to send me a replacement box - I'm not looking for free product though (not that I object to free... but its not the point) - more simply chiming in that... with more than a couple people having snapped the zinc plated screws - I've found a few posts around the net on that, now that I'm looking - it might be something Kreg might want to followup and test around. I'm going to be watching my next few boxes.  For Kreg, since they are watching - I do have the box still - would there be a SKU or tracking number on it that would give you any lot/mfg info you might need?

Just a notion I wonder if the bronze screw were passivated thus allowing them to drive in easier? Using the steel screws wipe the screw across a candle to ease screwing and stop the screw possibly heating and thus snapping, tedious I know better than ruining the job because broken screws are near impossible to remove

I'm planning on building several projects using my Kreg Jig this year. I've also noticed a few negative posts about the new screws on various woodworking sites over the past year. I'm just wondering if there really was any serious issues with these screws and if so have any changes been made to correct them?

Trevor,

When installing screws in hardwoods, I always lube the screws---

screw-lube, bees wax or parafin.

The lubrication reduces the risk of breakage.

I don't have any problems with screws breaking---including the zinc plated screws.

Also, I  make it a practice to lube long threaded screws, for deep thread engagement, including softwoods, such as pine.

PS---drive the screw half-way in---reverse the screw and install it 'til it bottoms out.

This process removes any wood fibers, than accumulate in the root of the screw, causing binding.

This is especially necessary when installing screws in thin sections.

 

When the screw enters the wood, between the growth rings, it has a tendency to spread the wood apart---

hence the reason for this proceedure.

NOTE:  DO NOT install a screw into the end-grain.

If you must, install a dowel in the work-piece and install the screw into the dowel.

When drilling pilot holes into wood, its necessary to select the proper drill-bit diameter.

The drill-bit dia should be equal to the screws minor (root) diameter.

The intent is for the screw threads to grip into the wood.

You don't want the shank dia to spread the wood apart---else the wood is subjected to fracture.

PS---a small dia screws, a little sliva will suffice, on the leading end of the screws.

I've made several projects and made repairs, using small #2 & #4 screws.



Trevor stafford said:

Just a notion I wonder if the bronze screw were passivated thus allowing them to drive in easier? Using the steel screws wipe the screw across a candle to ease screwing and stop the screw possibly heating and thus snapping, tedious I know better than ruining the job because broken screws are near impossible to remove

Rich,

Many of the negative posts aren't justified.

There are many out there who find something to complain about.

There's many who don't know the proper technique or process for using and installing screws.

Some haven't learned. 

Screws are designed for their intended purpose, and when properly used, there's not a problem.

I've seen people putting machine screws into wood and have complained about the screws not holding.

They are clueless.


Richard Ljungquist said:

I'm planning on building several projects using my Kreg Jig this year. I've also noticed a few negative posts about the new screws on various woodworking sites over the past year. I'm just wondering if there really was any serious issues with these screws and if so have any changes been made to correct them?

Thanks for the input Ken.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

Forum

Wheelbarrow organization 1 Reply

Anybody have any ideas on how to make a couple wooden attachments for the side of a wheelbarrow that can hold and secure some long handle yard tools?

Started by Vincent A Cutright in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by KregRep yesterday.

Constructing an island benchtop

G'day,I am a new member to the forum, although I have had the pocket jointer for a number of years, I just didn't get around to joining you.Anyhow - my wife and I are in the process of downsizing [in fact we are currently building our 3rd "Last…Continue

Started by Peter Watkins in General Woodworking Jun 19.

Product Reviews

K5 Review

I really like the k5 it is faster to change from different size of screws. I hesitated to update because of some of the reviews about the dust collection hook up. That to me one of the improvements it works perfect no dust to cleanup .…

Continue

Posted by Gary roofner on April 5, 2019 at 10:02am

Merry Christmas r3

 Hi all Santa left me one under the tree the elf thar made it must have had a bad morning because one gray tab is metric and the other one is imperial help Santa what do I do

thanks Eric 

Posted by Eric Kershaw on January 8, 2019 at 6:27pm — 1 Comment

Kreg Project Center Work Station

The Kreg Project Center is great by itself, but 2 KPC's are better than 1 when you want to set up a 12 ft. work station in a couple minutes.…

Continue

Posted by Glenn Revheim on April 5, 2018 at 5:57am — 5 Comments

Festool Domino 500

The first thing I will do is set price aside and focus on the tool and why I bought the Domino. 

      I have orders for a few dining tables and chairs.  I have made one prototype chair, while I have all the tools to make angled…

Continue

Posted by justin waldron on April 2, 2018 at 5:46am — 2 Comments

© 2019   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_