Kreg Owners' Community

I just today saw the plan for the storage unit.  I wish I would have seen this before this past weekend.  I made a Kreg workspace.  It is simply a 1' by 2' piece of birch plywood with miter bars attached to the bottom.  I can slide it on my tablesaw (fence removed, and blade lowered).  It makes for a nice surface to drill pocket holes.  I was happy with the results. 

Then I saw this plan...

Kreg Jig Storage Unit

Now I want a shelf on mine.  I think I'm going to use what I've already got as the top and then make the rest of it.

One question.  On the plan it says to use the MicroJig.  I don't yet have one.  Will the normal jig work?

Views: 8314

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Charlie said:
Try the INCRA Miter Slider Adjustable Miter Bar . Don't have the INCRA part number but Woodcraft (www.woocraft.com) has them (or did as of last year). as item numbers 149882 for an 18 inch bar and 149883 for a 251/2 inch bar.

Looks like the Miter Slider will work. From the INCRA website:

"This rigid aluminum runner conveniently adjusts from the TOP for perfect sliding action in any standard 3/4" x 3/8" miter gauge slot. Won't warp, shrink, or swell like wooden runners. Adjustment range fits slots measuring 0.740" - 0.760" wide."

Charlie said:

Try the INCRA Miter Slider Adjustable Miter Bar . Don't have the INCRA part number but Woodcraft (www.woocraft.com) has them (or did as of last year). as item numbers 149882 for an 18 inch bar and 149883 for a 251/2 inch bar.

The miter slots I have are around approx 5/8" by 1/4"...  They are like an upside down T.

I've yet to find anything that will fit these slots.

Doug,

It appears to be a special shape, designed by the OEM.

Some OEM's purposely do this, so you buy their dedicated products.

I'd suggest making an accurate measurement, of the slot size---width and depth---using vernier calipers.

Steel bar-stock (flat stock), 1/4'' x 5/8'', of the size you need can be obtained---

one source http://www.speedymetals.com/ps-382-39-14-x-58-cold-finished-1018.aspx

Alum in the exact size, for your slot, may be tougher to find.

http://www.discountsteel.com/items/6061_Aluminum_Flat_Bar.cfm?item_...

Perhaps a double-stack of 1/8 x5/8 alum bar, to make a 1/4x5/8 piece, can be used---

and fastened together with machine screws.

peruse http://www.kitebuilder.com/stock.htm

If the keyway in the table is the shape as the bar you have pictured, 

you can make it from two different pieces of bar stock, and fastened together with machine screws.

Flat head screws, countersunk, on the top-side, and add threaded holes into the bottom bar.

What brand of saw is that Doug? I've seen similar miter slots on the Ryobi entry level router tables and some of the entry level bench top saws. 

Doug Rowland said:

The miter slots I have are around approx 5/8" by 1/4"...  They are like an upside down T.

I've yet to find anything that will fit these slots.

This thread appears to have wandered a bit from the Kreg jig storage box.  Still good exchange though.

One thing I have found to help keep track of the odd tools, ie. allen wrench with the jig set, are rare earth magnets. I epoxied one to the back of my miter saw fence to keep track of the blade changing wrench for it.

I store my Kreg materials in a box with dividers for different length and thread screws. There are also compartsments for the bit and driver, the junior kit, the micro jig and the minijig. To keep trackof the allen wrench I just drilled a hole down the middle of one of the compartment dividers to stick the long arm of the wrench in. Takes 0 room and is always on top. I also glued a copy of the depth stop/screw length table to the inside of the lid and gave it 3 coats of urethane. The master jig is attached to a piece of 1x4 rigged to clamp into the table saw miter slot and hangs on the wall through a hole punched in the 1x4.

It is a Craftsman saw.  It was purchased early 2000's.  I think the saw (with the stand) was on sale for $99...  I'm always looking for a bargain.  Even if I pay for it later (like with the non-standard miter slots).

Ken, I like that idea.  I may order some and try to make some metal ones.  I've made some from maple before.  But it just adds to the length of time it takes to make any type of jig or sled.  I usually have a short amount of time to work in the shop anyways.

Thanks,

Doug

Thanks,

Doug

Hi Doug - I thought it looked familiar. I've got one almost like it sitting under a pile of stuff in back porch. I think it's an 8". I've been toying with the idea of making a disc sander out of it.

Doug Rowland said:

It is a Craftsman saw.  It was purchased early 2000's.  I think the saw (with the stand) was on sale for $99...  I'm always looking for a bargain.  Even if I pay for it later (like with the non-standard miter slots).

Ken, I like that idea.  I may order some and try to make some metal ones.  I've made some from maple before.  But it just adds to the length of time it takes to make any type of jig or sled.  I usually have a short amount of time to work in the shop anyways.

Thanks,

Doug

Thanks,

Doug

The bars will not work the incra bars are 3/8 these are only 1/4 so the bars to thick.  

Here is an idea take 3 or 4  1/4 20 thread flathead screws do similar to t track center them on the plywood such

that line up miter slot the trickey part would be to get the riht length screw and tight the screws after you slided in the miterslot.

Very nice work. 

Here's my final project.  As you can see, I'm not really concerned with looks.  Functionality is what I care about with this project.  I changed teh sizes around a little.  I also used 3/4" ply all the way around.  Although I did use 1/4" ply for the drawer bottom.  So far, I'm very happy with it. 

Nice project guys.  I would love to see more shop related projects.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_