Kreg Owners' Community

I am new to the Kreg Community and was enjoying the new experience and possibilities!  I read, and followed, all the directions and successfully created 7 pocket holes.  When I started to drill the 8th pocket hole the drill would not go through the wood (using 3/4 inch pine).  I thought maybe I bent the tip of the bit--so I went to buy another one--still, the drill will not penetrate the wood.  Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?  I am sure it is somehow user error...but can't figure out what I might be doing wrong.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Andréa

Views: 5456

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

could the drill guide hole be plugged?

Did you check the drill guide hole for shavings?

A) When you say the drill would not go through the wood do you mean the drill would not start to drill?

B) do you mean that the tip of the drill bit does not stick through the wood?

If you mean that the tip of the drill bit does not stick through the wood it isn't suppose too.

take the drill guide out of the holder take the drill out of the drill and stick the drill into the holder and see if it comes out.

good luck let us know what you find.

Larry
Thanks to everyone for the sugesstions and to James for his trouble shooting last night! I successfully completed the cornice I was building! BTW...I am a her... :-)

Best,

Andréa

James Waller said:
AR informed me while we were chatting that he found out his old drill wasn't producing enough rpm's to drill into the wood. He tried another drill and it worked fine.

I posted the problem/solution to the "Tips for Beginner's" discussion.
when it comes to woodworking you are just a woodworker no gender.

But having said that welcome Andrea.
I have ask lots of questions here and they have been answered.
good group of people.
THE DRILL IS IN REVERSE
why would he drill 7 holes if it was under power that did not make sense at all and not being able t drill 8 th hole

Jens Jensen said:
why would he drill 7 holes if it was under power that did not make sense at all and not being able t drill 8 th hole

If the first drill was marginally capable, it could be something as simple as hitting a more "green" area of the wood.
that makes more sense
Yep...I've had that happen.  :p

Charles Andrews said:
THE DRILL IS IN REVERSE
Battery powered drill?
That was my guess, but you beat me there.  I have done that more than once.

Charles Andrews said:
THE DRILL IS IN REVERSE

Personally, I use a dedicated drill, 2000-2500rpm, to drill my pocket holes, makes for smoother operation--- 

problem solved.

KIM (keep-in-mind)---raising/removing the drill/bit periodically, removes the chips that accumulate from within the drilled hole.

When a drilled hole fills with wood chips, it doesn't perform satisfactorily---doesn't cut---with any type of bit;

that is, unless one is using a hand boring brace and bit.  The flutes on the bits, carry away most of the chips.

Standard drill bits, feature a fluted design, so as to carry the chips to the outside surface; however, they don't always remove the fine chips/particles that accumulate at the bottom of the hole, when drilling in a downward direction.

When using ''speed-bore'' bits, its a must, to raise the drill periodically, so as to clean-out the hole, or at least remove most of the chips (wood particles).

Practicing on a scrap piece of wood, until one gets the hang of it, before proceeding to the final tasks, is  a good way to learn.  (I never drove a race-car at full speed around the track, until I got a good feel for the auto, its power, and the track.  Man, I sure miss those ''speed-shift'' stick trans vehicles.  Dang autos today---I can get a faster running start, on foot).

AR,

If it's a cordless drill you have to drill the holes with the setting on "drill" which disengages the clutch. Make sure the battery is charged and the drill is not in reverse.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_