Kreg Owners' Community

I'm using 1/2-inch plywood sides and spacers for new kitchen cabinets but I'm using 3/4-inch plywood for the bottom shelf. I plan to use pocket holes on all joints. I understand that I need to set my jig for 3/4-inch when drilling the bottom to attach to the sides. The only screws that won't protrude are 3/4-inch. They just don't seem to provide enough strength. Am I missing something? Is there a better way?

Views: 236

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Leaving a couple of inches at the ends, pocket screws every 6 inches will hold the cabinet together.  Add  extra pocket holes if you think you need them.

Tightened securely, the combined strength in al the joints hold the cabinet securely.

I myself build with 3/4" thick wood on all sides and use 1 1/4" pocket screws.

The commercial cabinets use even 3/8" thick material.

Thanks Doug. I was really torn between using 1/2-inch as opposed to 3/4-inch. Just a weight and cost issue for me. I'm using pre-finished birch and maple plywood, so it gets pretty expensive. Didn't want the hassle of dado joints.

Optional construction:  (inset panels)

Frames: 1x stock

Panels: 1/4" stock

Grooves in frame to accommodate 1/4 stock

Bottom and shelves: 3/4" stock

Doors:  3/4" stock

Hinges: European style

Assy:  pocket holes and screws to secure frame.

NOTE:  peruse some books on cabnetry, with this type of construction.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (CST). 

Videos

• Add Videos

Product Reviews

Kreg Mobile Project Center

I just picked up my new Kreg Mobile Project Center Item #KWS1000.

Wow!  I set it up in my basement and it is great addition to my Kreg items.  I was viewing a video where a review on this fine product was being made, which prompts…

Continue

Posted by John Tomkinson on May 5, 2017 at 5:34am — 2 Comments

Handy jig to hold and push plugs in!

Takes 10 minutes to make this handy accessory for your Kreg gear! Home made plug pusher.

Posted by Dave Stanton on March 31, 2017 at 5:53pm — 1 Comment

© 2017   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_