Kreg Owners' Community

Are there any plans out there for kitchen cabinets, using the Kreg jig?

Views: 12675

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am building kitchen cabinets out of shiplap, 1x2 & 1x4. I have used the kreg gig throughout the project. I am also doing a writeup on the wall cabinet in Instructables website. Also, hope to do a write up on the base cabinet in Instructables, too. I am a middle of the road part time carpenter, what I am doing is primarily with a table saw and a miter saw. I am using the learn by doing method. There are no plans for cabinets made from planking such as shiplap or matched pine boards, so am improvising as I go. The wall cabinet and the base cabinet are completed except for the doors and drawers, which is the next thing I need to work on. Material cost of the wall cabinet, 33" wide x 30" tall is around $60 - $80. The cost to buy a commercially made cabinet is about $171 at Lowes. So I am saving a bundle of money by doing it myself. I will help in any way I can. If you want me to build cabinets to your specs I can do that too.

Steve

The picture of the base cabinet was a work in progress picture.
Everyone wants to make a buck off of me. I don't like to pay and then download plans which may be worthless. That being said, I think the book might be a good idea, but once you've made one cabinet, modifying to make other sizes is easy, at least for me. I can lift my 33" base cabinet, not so with plywood or other materials. I wanted cabinets made from natural wood and decided on shiplap for price and looks. The knots in it, seem fairly tight and in many instances I can work around them, avoiding them where I will be joining pieces together. I use 1 x 2s as cleats to hold the pieces together for each side and as a joining location for the top or bottom to the sides. I used 1.25" x 8 wood screws where the depth was only 1.5", but used 1.5" x 8 wood screws where I had greater depth to work with. All screw holes were predrilled to prevent splitting. With the sides of the 1 x 2s being perfect or near perfect right angles, I know that the cabinet would come out square. The face frame was made out of 1x3's ripped down to 2.25" to cover the construction detail. These were screwed together using the kreg system and also, screwed to the cabinet using the kreg system. Gluing is not necessary, but can add to the strength of the unit. The cleats were made .75" shorter than the sides to allow space for a ledger board. No routing was needed to make the wall cabinet, except for the possibility of adding a decorative option to the doors. Considering the face frame is .75 thick, the sides need to be 11.25 wide to make a total depth of your 12 inch cabinet. I used the pre-routed edge of the shiplap for the backing which was a luan panel, the only plywood in the cabinet. The only other thing is that you have to be very accurate on your measurements and your cuts. I used a stop block on my miter saw, so the length of pieces would be uniform.

Hi Steve love your cabinet photo's l need your help if you will.

Pklumber coming tomorrowm need to quickly with my k3 jig make a base drawer cabinet and a 2 door base cabinet. drawer cabinet doors am buying to match bought sink unit drawers fronts 2 are 12 inches deep and 1 at 6 inches deep al 3 are 15 inches wide.

How wide does cabinet have to be before face frame is put on sink cabinet is 50 inches wide that l bought and counter top is 8 ft long so have 36 inches to make cabinet for drawers and base cabinet to have slide out pot pan trays?

I have plenty of pine boards can l join these with k3 jig as sides won;t be seen or should l buy plywood please email me at jimswoodworking@yahoo.com if you can help me thanks steve

Jim from Ontario, Canada

Hi, I built a 36" wide base cabinet, the face frame needs to be the full 36" wide, the the cabinet itself is 1/4" smaller in width, an 1/8" shorter on each side, this is to accommodate ease of installation and give the full width. I have written up the instructions with drawings, etc. I was going to try to market the instructions, but can send you what I have at this point. The instructions were never completed, I lost interest in the project last fall, but want to get back into doing the cabinets in the spring. My workshop is unheated and is used for storage during the winter for my lawn tractor and other outside equipment. I use the kreg system to construct the face frame and to attach the face frame to the cabinet. Your table and miter saw needs to be square for the 90 degree cuts. The accuracy of the cuts is important in achieving quality cabinets.

Steve

James Reeves said:

Hi Steve love your cabinet photo's l need your help if you will.

Pklumber coming tomorrowm need to quickly with my k3 jig make a base drawer cabinet and a 2 door base cabinet. drawer cabinet doors am buying to match bought sink unit drawers fronts 2 are 12 inches deep and 1 at 6 inches deep al 3 are 15 inches wide.

How wide does cabinet have to be before face frame is put on sink cabinet is 50 inches wide that l bought and counter top is 8 ft long so have 36 inches to make cabinet for drawers and base cabinet to have slide out pot pan trays?

I have plenty of pine boards can l join these with k3 jig as sides won;t be seen or should l buy plywood please email me at jimswoodworking@yahoo.com if you can help me thanks steve

Jim from Ontario, Canada

Your cabinets are beautifully done. I hope to develop skills like this someday. Thanks for sharing your pictures and insight.

Ralph

Steve said:
I am building kitchen cabinets out of shiplap, 1x2 & 1x4. I have used the kreg gig throughout the project. I am also doing a writeup on the wall cabinet in Instructables website. Also, hope to do a write up on the base cabinet in Instructables, too. I am a middle of the road part time carpenter, what I am doing is primarily with a table saw and a miter saw. I am using the learn by doing method. There are no plans for cabinets made from planking such as shiplap or matched pine boards, so am improvising as I go. The wall cabinet and the base cabinet are completed except for the doors and drawers, which is the next thing I need to work on. Material cost of the wall cabinet, 33" wide x 30" tall is around $60 - $80. The cost to buy a commercially made cabinet is about $171 at Lowes. So I am saving a bundle of money by doing it myself. I will help in any way I can. If you want me to build cabinets to your specs I can do that too.

Steve

The picture of the base cabinet was a work in progress picture.

i love wood cabinets for my house. i wonder how to prevent them from insects?

http://meikitchens.com/compare/kraftmaid-castlewood.php

I never thought much of insect problems. I am in Maine, so the chance of insects is reduced. I have a row of white pines in the yard, 20 ft tall and have not noticed any insect problems. Staining and polyethylening your projects will help control the incidence of insect infestations. Carpenter ants can be a problem, but not as serious as termites can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3uOkMK4UqM  Jerry, go watch these videos, they are great and they should help you out.

Here, wood kitchen cabinet is good. U can try it.What do u think about this.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_