Kreg Owners' Community

Hello all and happy New Year!

I have been asked to make a built in book case shelving unit and it is the first time that someone wants to pay me for the work. I have yet to talk about specifinc design details and such as Christmas was a busy time for everyone. I am not sure how to decide how much to charge for such a service.

I am not the fastest in the shop and I do not intend to rush it, it is after all a hobby. So I do not think charging by the hour makes sense. Could I use a cost + % model? Like cost of materials + 10%?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Onno

Views: 1605

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't had to estimate anything like that, but cost+110% would be closer to market. Other factors would dictate adjusting the price from there. I usually use that as a starting point to estimate which new tool I'm going to get out of the deal. :)

When I rarely do commision work, I try to decide how long it would take me IF I was working on it full time, and then quote a flat rate labor cost based on that.

Alternatively, you could find an existing item, and base your cost on what such an item would cost (within reason).

HI Onno,

I charge material cost plus 10 to 20% depending on the complexity of the project. For a built in bookcase 20% should be good. 

THE NORM HERE IN FLORIDA IS THREE TIMES THE COAST OF MATERIAL

MAKE THAT COST

Onno,

Start off with materials and time at 50/50 and then ask your self if you would be happy to pay the figure.

You should also provide an initial cost approximation to allow the customer to have some input and an early understanding of just what the will be up for.

Have fun too!

Robert Brennan

This is great advice everyone. Thanks! I knew that when I had the delima this would be a great forum to post in.

I should be meeting with the couple in the next week or so to get a good idea of what they want and what I can offer. I sure do not want to get in over my head. This will give me an idea of their budget and can make suggestions accordingly.

Thanks again for the great advice.

Onno

Here is something to checkout .

http://bridgewooddesign.com/estimator/index.htm

Onno,

I think it's hard to add percentages to materials when you think in regards to what lumber they'd want.  If they wanted Cherry you would come out ahead, but if they want pine....  I build/sell cabinetry as a hobby and I use Ready to Assemble prices and when it comes to special/custom pieces, I figure my labor and how long it will take to build at around $20 and hour.  Hope this helps.

Justin

Thanks again for the advice. That online calculator is definitely handy. This'll be my first commissioned piece so it might hard for me estimate total time, ihave never kept track. Once I meet with them and get an idea of the final look that should help a lot. If they just want paint grade and are going to paint it themselves that would make a big difference.

Onno

great link...maybe i'll start making some stuff to sell!

Jens Jensen said:

Here is something to checkout .

http://bridgewooddesign.com/estimator/index.htm

That sounds fair if your comfortable with that arraingment, I too had that experience over the Holidays, they liked my work so much they insisted on paying me more for labor than I asked for. so good luck and most importantly have fun!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_