Kreg Owners' Community

When we started this community back in 2009, we had hopes that it would be "A friendly social community where Kreg Jig owners could share stories, project ideas, tips, and tricks for using their Kreg Jig." Thanks to many incredible members community members, the site has really taken off, and I think most would agree that the site has been a huge success.  

I get emails every week from new community members telling me how great of a resource the site is for Kreg Jig owners everywhere! We're very proud of what the site has become a few short months after starting it, and are very appreciative to all members that have shared their unique Kreg Story for everyone else to learn from... that's really what it's all about.

As the community grows, (we just crossed the 8,000 member mark last week (March 2010)) I think it's important to have an area where members can come to give suggestions and leave concerns about the community in general.  There's already a thread started for giving suggestions about all thing's "Kreg", but this thread is just for the community.  Suggestions might include features you want to be added, 'trends' you'd like to see started (such as requesting projects which aren't built with the Kreg Jig be labeled as such), new forum categories, layout changes on the main page, etc.

The goal of this thread is for all of the community members to work together, give suggestions, etc. on how the site can be improved and continue to grow over the years.  If you have any thoughts, please leave them here.  Please also understand that the site itself is limited in functionality somewhat with what is available from Ning, so all concerns may not be able to be addressed 100%.

Thank you for your time and participation,
KregRep

Views: 224

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd like to get the ball rolling with one question that I've been trying to work through...

As we all know, we already have a tremendous number of community members (over 8,000), but that far from all of these members are actively posting content or conversing with the community. Obviously there will always be a smaller group which does the majority of the posting, but I think this % can be improved and that many members are just a bit wary about making that first post. I think it's important to support these members as much as possible and give them the 'first push out the door' to get started with commenting, posting photos, and communicating. Perhaps it's as easy as making sure to welcome them when they first arrive? Ask them questions about their jig, their shop, their projects, etc.? I'd like to hear some ideas about how some of the more active members can help get these new members excited to ask questions, leave comments, and just plain get involved!
We've had a lot of comments that certain members feel that the 'Chat' feature of the community is underutilized. When we have our big group chats, it's always very popular, but when you do chat during the week, there's usually no one else there.

Would anyone be interested in a weekly "Kreg Jig Chat"? This would be a chat led sometimes by KregRep, but more often led by other leading members of the community. The chat would be in the evening so that more members could attend. Topics could be anything Kreg Jig related or even general woodworking topics.

I've already talked to a few members who thought it was a great idea, and offered to help lead it. Drop a comment and tell us what you think!
I personally would be up for a weekly chat. Sounds like a lot of fun. I know on a few of the other boards it can get difficult to keep up depending on the volume but I wouldn't let that stop giving it a try. I have found that chat rooms are like the forums. You have 100 people and only 10% are active in chatting. I would think to stress that it needs to stay a friendly environment and that there are no "stupid" questions. Hope this helps.

Kevin
groverwoodworks.blogspot.com

KregRep said:
We've had a lot of comments that certain members feel that the 'Chat' feature of the community is underutilized. When we have our big group chats, it's always very popular, but when you do chat during the week, there's usually no one else there.

Would anyone be interested in a weekly "Kreg Jig Chat"? This would be a chat led sometimes by KregRep, but more often led by other leading members of the community. The chat would be in the evening so that more members could attend. Topics could be anything Kreg Jig related or even general woodworking topics.

I've already talked to a few members who thought it was a great idea, and offered to help lead it. Drop a comment and tell us what you think!
I'd like to congratulate Kreg, not only for their superior equipment, but also for setting up the community for sharing of ideas and getting questions answered. I haven't been able to work in my shop because of cold weather and now that it is warmer I have some honey-do jobs in the yard and garden. It is my intention to get back in the shop as soon as possible. While I was cabin bound it was a joy to log on to this community each day and read the discussions. I don't feel qualified to give some one advise on some of the questions asked, but I enjoy reading what other people are saying. I do have one question. I was invited to join in on the chat when kreg announced some of its new equipment recently, but I could never figure out how to get in. How do I get in???? Also, I would be interested in participating in a chat room discussion, perhaps once a week or month, If it were after dark. I need to be outside when the light is shining. Thanks Kreg. Super job. keep it going.....
Thanks for the comments, Kevin! If we see similar interest, I think we can definitely give it a run!

Jimmie, thanks for the props! It's good to know that even if you're not posting very much, you're there and reading! Even leaving comments on other people's work, or asking questions when you have them is a great way to make sure the community continues to grow! Thanks for the support and for taking the time to contribute, the community sincerely appreciate it!

-KregRep
James Waller said:
Hiya Jimmie!

Maybe by now you have figure it out, but to open the chat box just click below to the right where it says "Kreg Jig Owners Community Chat | 48 Online" and the chat area will open up. Once opened you can "collapse" it, make it "pop-out" in it's own window or go "offline".

Have a good day!

Thanks, James. Forgot to respond to that one! ;)
Allow the poster to go back and edit his post. Lotsd of time i want to make a change or correct some spelling but once you post you message thats ti. it can not be changed. even the 15 too edit link does not work?
Greg J Powers said:
Allow the poster to go back and edit his post. Lotsd of time i want to make a change or correct some spelling but once you post you message thats ti. it can not be changed. even the 15 too edit link does not work?

Great suggestion, Greg. This is supposed to work in most circumstances just by clicking on the yellow box that comes over your post when you hover over it with your mouse...(not by clicking on the 15min. link (which isn't a link)) but I have also noticed that sometimes the features seems to be broken. One thing you can always do is copy your old post and then delete it (using the little x in the top right hand corner of your post) and write it from scratch.

FYI to everyone, our search functionality is now fixed!
Hats off to the guys and girls at Kreg, I Got a nice surprise in the mail box today a kreg full colour catalogue and Kreg DVD showing the ins and outs of their P/H machines and face frame assembly tables. Best thing about this is, I had purchased a forman but had not used it yet as was saving up for a new compressor which I got on Friday. So it away with the books as the DVD filled in the blanks and it out to the shed for a play with my new toy's
thanks again to the people at kreg as here in the land down under aspecially here in Western Australia we feel a bit left out normally, there is only one store that's stocks the Kreg products here and they are a 40min drive away form me.
Hello everyone, I have the Kreg master pocket hole kit... I used in class when we made a cabinet. I had it in my shop for a year now... and haven't used it... cause of lack of skill, knowledge and maybe more... I always thought it would be nice to see plans for small projects that a person could learn simple skills one or two at a time... the the next project would teach you a couple more skills... as a persons skill got better, the projects would get a little bigger until a person has learned to master most skills... and learn the ability to use the tools with out fear of failer... the first project is how some set up there master jig... so they could use it for almost all their projects.. then maybe a small box, that might be useful in the shop... then a bench, cabinet etc... until the person has learn how to do things.... this may sound dumb to some people... but I'm sure I'm not the only one... remember if you see one ant, there are more close by... lol... well just an idea... I would love to have some easy project to learn my skill... and yes.. I even have Kreg video's...
IMHO, first and foremost, do not become a "facebook" and makes changes all the time; you need not change anything. Remember, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is pretty powerful in itself. Better yet, ask your community first, like you have here. Stay involved. Note as much as possible, but realize that it is not always possible to get to everyone's posts. A simple observational note here and there (like you have been doing) is just enough to let us know that you are watching. Be loyal to your community and your community will return the favor. Let nature take its own course. You, Kreg, keep doing what you do best: provide excellent products, introduce new owners to the community like you have the rest of us here, and leave the community building to the community. It is an excellent community the way it is.

Not sure how to address the chat thing, but IMHO again, our communication process seems to have been riding more firmly these days on the convenience of communication as desired when desired with whom desired. I think chat is outdated, but I may be wrong. I think we all end up growing out of chat and into the convenience of forum and blog style communication. Whereas chat may lead to a subject by chance, forums and blogs are subjective and readers can find the info they need more readily than by hoping it pops up somewhere in the next 15 to 30 minutes or so. It also seems with chat that there is usually more than one conversation going on and no long-term record (similar to a phone call), if you don't get in at the start you may not catch up, etc. I personally spend time where I can put the call on hold or review it at will anytime (like forum-type communication) and respond without having to worry about when someone gets back to me. I speak for myself, just my immediate thoughts on the subject for the moment. Good luck.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_