Kreg Owners' Community

Welcome! The Kreg Owners' Community was designed to bring woodworkers and do-it-yourself project builders of all skill levels together to create, share, learn, and inspire each other. We encourage every member to participate in all of the great activities the Community has to offer:

Other Helpful Links:

Views: 64420

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Steve, you are so right.

Safety equipment are my favorite tools. They have saved me so much time. Examples:
- Safety glasses caught a tiny red-hot grain from a grinding wheel. It melted itself into the glass, not my eye.
- Ear muffs make it so much more relaxing so I can pay attention to the sharp, spinning parts. My work is more accurate because I am less tense.
- A decent fitting respirator even for pine keeps my face and lungs much cleaner. Ever blow your nose after a project? Eeew. A simple dust mask fogs up my glasses so I cannot see the cutting edges. Awkward.

let me add Excellent knee pads!
Now at my age and weight, I put on knee pads before starting any job. I know I will be kneeling at some point. Excellent knee pads that put the weight on your shin, not your knee, cost $50 to $200. A lot less than one knee replacement.

Steve Franklin said:
Every time I cut wood with a power tool, I reach for my safety goggles, ear muffs, and dust mask, because...
1. I've experienced a splinter in the eye (which got around my regular eyeglasses).
2. I like listening to music, so I don't want to lose my hearing.
3. I don't like blowing sawdust out of my nose.
Most time is spent setting up, then it's cut, cut, cut.
the best source of woodworking for beginners i have found is on the popular woodworking magazine website. it's called "i can do that" manual. i spent months buying and selling wrong tools and using wrong methods of woodworking when i first started. i think this manual is the best thing a beginner can have. even after a few years of woodworking i like flipping through it sometimes. here's the link:
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/icandothat/
Thanks for the tip. Nice site.

mo khan said:
the best source of woodworking for beginners i have found is on the popular woodworking magazine website. it's called "i can do that" manual. i spent months buying and selling wrong tools and using wrong methods of woodworking when i first started. i think this manual is the best thing a beginner can have. even after a few years of woodworking i like flipping through it sometimes. here's the link:
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/icandothat/
Measure, measure, measure, look at plans, measure and cut. I did the workbench last weekend and got ahead of myself and miss-measured the bottom shelf. It fits but does not look as nice.

KregRep said:
Great tips, everyone!
The best tip I can think of right now is for all of you who cannot find the Kreg screws in their local stores anymore is to go online and buy several boxes. It is cheaper to buy a few of them, get different sizes; it is no fun to decide that you want to make something only to find you ran out and do not have screws on hand and cannot buy them NOW!
The best tip I think I could provide is don't be afraid of asking questions, this web site is full of people that will ,, help you no matter how you think the question you ask may appear, I only been at this hobby for about 2 years and I learned much more from this site than I could have learned anywhere else, The people on this site are more than willling to share their knowledge with you and provide you with info or send you to another site that will provide you with the a way to acomplish what you are trying achieve.

I do not have any way to check the rpm on my drills. Owners manuels might now help as a drill gets older sometimes they lose power and speed. HELP!!

As long as you can drill your holes without burning the wood, the drillbit, or burning up the drill it should be fine. If your able to make your pocketholes now, you'll know when your drill is wearing out because it will get harder to use.  I find the first sign of my drill going is the wood starts getting scortch marks & the bit will start to bind.  Basically, if it's doing the job, it's high enough in my experience.

Elmer Barrett said:

I do not have any way to check the rpm on my drills. Owners manuels might now help as a drill gets older sometimes they lose power and speed. HELP!!

I will search your sites but have found a plan but need to do it the Kreg way. I am new to wood working

practice practice and you will do it right.  her is the link for my video series that will show you how to make a built in cabinet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_pRZuZGFHg

As I a beginner I cannot stress enough, use a drill with a clutch.
What does it mean when the pocket screw washer head is sticking outside the surface of your joint? It's not screwed in deep enough?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_