Kreg Owners' Community

help me to buy a planer portable , any one now any shop or store to buy online ? 

tks ben

Views: 803

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a Delta 13" planner I bought from a guy on Craig's List for $100.  I went over to his house to buy a Jet DC-650 dust collector for $40 and mentioned I was looking for a planer, he showed me the Delta and quoted a price.   Both were practically brand new and work great.

Sniping seems to come from the way the board is fed into or exits the machine.  If you don't keep it flat on the table as it feeds into or exits the cut the end of the board will rise slightly into the blades and cause the snipe.  Because the board isn't being pressed flat on the table by both feed rollers (one at the front of the machine and one on the back) it can ride up into the blade.  I added in-feed and out-feed supports that are level with the table to support longer boards as they enter and exit the machine.  This has virtually eliminated the snipe.      

I have a Dewalt 13.5" and had a 12" Delta. Both cut really good, even getting glass smoothe cuts on curly maple (using a simple little trick). To deal with snipe, use a sacrificial board in front and behind each good board. When planing several boards, use the same sacrificial board(s) with all of the good lumber, then lower the head for the next series of sizing cuts. It works. If your good lumber is long, get a buddy to tail-off for you, or else get some supports in place. A big planer is just big bucks for hobbyists and small shop pros. People with 36" planers have other problems like their knives bowing with use (because they don't support the knives in the head properly).

justin waldron said:
I have a 13 inch dewalt planer and it's been good to me for the past 2 years.  They say the knife life is a little shorter compared to most, but they do make aftermarket HSS and carbite tipped blades.  I do agree with David about snipe, but it is what it is, I just cut my lumber longer to begin with and and cut whatever snipe off that's there.  Also, it is nice to be able to walk right into lowes and grab new blades if necessary.   However, if you have the dough for a 2hp or 3hp, that's what you should get, you should always buy more of a tool than less, or you'll be like me and have bought my 4th table saw in 3 years.
In re to snipe, here is a good article. Makes sense.  I have a 12" Delta planer I bought at a garage sale and really it works very well for a lower end model.

I have my eye out on this one. 

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-2012NB-12-Inch-Interna-Lok-Automated/d...

Makita with good reviews. Plus no shipping or tax from amazon.

What is snipe?
What is snipe?
Nipping at the end of the board as it travels either into or out of the planer.  Generally has to do with an incorrectly set up infeed/outfeed table
Bill Schafer said:
What is snipe?
I just bought a Ridged portable. It is 88 lbs. and works quite well. I bought it at Home Depot.

I guess I forgot to post the link. This article has a good explanation and how to address it

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/understandingsnipe.aspx

Bill Schafer said:

What is snipe?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_