Kreg Owners' Community

just wondered what everyones favorite or most used type and brand of finish to use. 

i use mostly minwax since its easier to get where i live. i do like deft lacquer sanding sealer. dries quick and sands easily. defts water based finish is good too. use that often as well. 

Views: 1099

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I almost always use min wax products also, I have used cabot but I thought it was a little harder to apply their stain then min wax, I use min wax wipe on poly most of the time, but sometimes I do use the brush on or the spray on. I would like to try other brands but for me to get them I have to mail order them.

lately i have been using minwax wipe on ploy, goes on fast and easy. no runs, dries very quickly in 70 deg + temps.
i also like minwax wood conditioner as well. i havent used any cabot products before. looked at their colors before but nothing really caught my eye. 

TOMBOY said:

I used to do alot of refinishing work and I personally do not care for Deft products in general however, due to its ease of location at Lowe's I do use Minwax products faithfully and think they provide a great finish...I am a big fan of their polycrylic for use over anything water based, ie. latex paints, stains, etc.  I also use their finishing wax and their wood conditioner, sanding sealer, etc..  Have you ever tried Cabot brand stains, I will use them in a pinch, like when Minwax doesn't have my black in stock, Cabot has an Ebony but, it has alot of shine to it:-)

i like their wipe on poly as well but i think you have to put on too many coats to get a good finish. i like the brush on or spray on better. takes less time to get a good thick coat. 

ray vile said:

I almost always use min wax products also, I have used cabot but I thought it was a little harder to apply their stain then min wax, I use min wax wipe on poly most of the time, but sometimes I do use the brush on or the spray on. I would like to try other brands but for me to get them I have to mail order them.

I use minwax wipe on poly, and also Ubeaut wax's, Shellac and polishes.

My weak link has always been finishing... I am however starting to become a fan of Tung Oil.. works good and is relatively idiot proof (I've tested it : -)..

KLW

I like General Finishes.  They are sold through Woodcraft and in gel form. 
I used both Minwax and Cabot both have their own best features. I have pick some of both stain at Lowes mistint section for 1to 2 dollars a can. I have some success at mixing stains to come up with different colors. As for top coats I use mainly Polyurhtene and at sometimes Varnish and paste wax. 
Minwax antique oil finish. Rub it on, rub it off, for a great semi gloss finish. EEEZEEE
Did anyone find any of the information in this month's Kreg Plus Newsletter on outdoor finishing helpful?
I agree w/TomBoy about Minwax products. They're awesome. I do like using small cotton pads wrapped up in a piece of nylons, yes, nylons. Depending on your project size, deterimines the size "ball"/"wad", whatever you wanna call it. But, WOW, try it sometime. It works great. The cotton pads and nylons can be aquired from Walmart very affordable. Place the pads inside a piece of the nylons, tightly wrap n tie it making a smooth surface. Just dip it into your finish to absorb, and spread it on..  Like I said, you'll say WOW! no drips, no runs, just nice even finish. It works very well in my opinion
I've used poly with good results but I really like Waterlox. It's a tung-oil/resin mix.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_