Kreg Owners' Community

Has anyone used the Ellipse/Circle jig from Rockler?  Or any other circle jig?  I need to cut a large hole in my vanity top (1 inch white oak).  A blue glass bowl will sit in it so there is no room for error!  Any words of wisdom are appreciated.  Thanks!

Views: 849

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Instead of using a circle cutting jig. Take a piece of scrap plywood and and cut out the circle U want to sand it up then use it as a template put 2 sided tape on one side put it in place then take a router put a 5/8" collet and a 1/2 up cut spiral bit and just follow the pattern take lite paces
I had planned on doing that and then I realized I first needed to cut the circle in the template. Back to square one. I am afraid that if I cut it with a jigsaw it will not be a perfect template. Any variance will show where the bowl touches the wood I am afraid.
I understand do U have a circle cutting jig if not U can make your self one out of plywood or U can buy one. they are not hard to use mount the router to the jig then find the center drill a little hole then move the router to the inside of the line tighting the screw then with the router off make a dry runto see if everything lines up if so the start up the router up and have ago good luck I hope this helps
Yes, I think I know what you are saying. I will give it a try.
the outher thing is to try it on a scrap of plywood first so that U can get a good feel of what router is going to do
Take a piece of scrap MDF that's as wide as your router base and long enough for your radius. Drill a hole in the center of one end, far enough from the end, so the base has full support. This hole needs to be sized to accept a template bushing. The router will pivot around the bushing so that the router (vac hose & cord) is always in the same position. Drill a snug hole for a finishing at the other end; doesn't matter whether edge or center.
You can build your own jigs from scrap rather than pay a premium for one from Rockler or other sources.
Here's a plan for a circle jig.
I built this ellipse jig.
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. I think it is settled then. I will not purchase a circle jig! This is my first go at doing anything circular with wood so I may have to practice a bit. I like the idea of making my own jig. It may add time to the project but I have plenty of scrap wood.
I've got the Jasper circle jig 200J. Cuts around 256 different sized holes from 2-1/4 to 18-3/16 in small incraments. Quite possible the best jig I own. Only issue I have with it that all Japer jigs are imperial measure, where as I use metric for all my work, won't be an issue for you suys though!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Popular Posts & Projects 

1 Parts

Parts

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Parts

The Clamp anchor screw broke on my mobile project center.  How can I acquire a replacement?Continue

Started by Jon J Howard in Beginners' Zone yesterday.

Rip-cut ACS plunge saw

Just got a rip-cut and installed my Bosch saw haven't used it yet but saw was a good fit. Got the original ripcut and didn't really like it had trouble cutting straight. New one has several improvements should make it work much better. especially…Continue

Started by William Burt Brown in General Woodworking Mar 17.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 4 Comments

© 2021   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_