Kreg Owners' Community

Has anyone used the Ellipse/Circle jig from Rockler?  Or any other circle jig?  I need to cut a large hole in my vanity top (1 inch white oak).  A blue glass bowl will sit in it so there is no room for error!  Any words of wisdom are appreciated.  Thanks!

Views: 960

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Instead of using a circle cutting jig. Take a piece of scrap plywood and and cut out the circle U want to sand it up then use it as a template put 2 sided tape on one side put it in place then take a router put a 5/8" collet and a 1/2 up cut spiral bit and just follow the pattern take lite paces
I had planned on doing that and then I realized I first needed to cut the circle in the template. Back to square one. I am afraid that if I cut it with a jigsaw it will not be a perfect template. Any variance will show where the bowl touches the wood I am afraid.
I understand do U have a circle cutting jig if not U can make your self one out of plywood or U can buy one. they are not hard to use mount the router to the jig then find the center drill a little hole then move the router to the inside of the line tighting the screw then with the router off make a dry runto see if everything lines up if so the start up the router up and have ago good luck I hope this helps
Yes, I think I know what you are saying. I will give it a try.
the outher thing is to try it on a scrap of plywood first so that U can get a good feel of what router is going to do
Take a piece of scrap MDF that's as wide as your router base and long enough for your radius. Drill a hole in the center of one end, far enough from the end, so the base has full support. This hole needs to be sized to accept a template bushing. The router will pivot around the bushing so that the router (vac hose & cord) is always in the same position. Drill a snug hole for a finishing at the other end; doesn't matter whether edge or center.
You can build your own jigs from scrap rather than pay a premium for one from Rockler or other sources.
Here's a plan for a circle jig.
I built this ellipse jig.
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. I think it is settled then. I will not purchase a circle jig! This is my first go at doing anything circular with wood so I may have to practice a bit. I like the idea of making my own jig. It may add time to the project but I have plenty of scrap wood.
I've got the Jasper circle jig 200J. Cuts around 256 different sized holes from 2-1/4 to 18-3/16 in small incraments. Quite possible the best jig I own. Only issue I have with it that all Japer jigs are imperial measure, where as I use metric for all my work, won't be an issue for you suys though!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_