Kreg Owners' Community

What is the recommended drill speed to use for the pocket holes? I think that I saw or heard that it is 1700 rpm. While we are at it my battery power drill up and has gotten sick. What is a recommendation for a replacement in power drills.

Views: 3087

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good luck with it. I was using my Kreg Jig last night to join stair treads butt-to-butt to make a countertop and used my bosch drill. The amazing thing is how far cordless tools have come in the past few years. Battery technology continues to develop. In a few years we will begin to see more cordless devices charge from smart tables and such. I saw a demonstration of the technology earlier this year and soon we will be able to just place our cordless tools on our bench that has the charging mat fastened to it and all fo our tools will remain fully charged and the need for a myriad of chargers will be a thing of the past. The same technology will charge our lap tops, cell phones and etc. Eventually the technology will replace cords inside the house, but not enough current can flow through now to be used on high demand appliances.

What is the latest word from Kreg about drill speed?  Does whether the wood is soft or hard have anything to do with the drilling speed?

I just bought the K4 Master System with an extra clamp and 1,000 Kreg screws, plus received the 1,000 free Kreg screw bonus that Woodcraft has going through Oct. 29.  So, I'm ready to drill and to install some pocket screws.  

I have a Ryobi 18-Volt Lithium Drill/Screwdriver with clutch that is rated at 1,600 RPM and a Makita Hammer Drill that is rated at 2,800 RPM, but its corded and heavier, which I would use in drill mode.  My first projects will be using 3/4 inch (actual) thick pine and poplar.  For this drilling, may I use the 1,600 RPM drill or do I need to use the 2,600 RPM drill?

Hi Richard - I have the Ryobi 18V and it will do the job fine. That said, if I am drilling them in the shop with the Master jig, I prefer the corded dewalt @2500 rpm. With the shop-vac attached they go much faster and cleaner. I use they Ryobi with the Junior (R3?) jig when working on site.

Richard Sands said:

What is the latest word from Kreg about drill speed?  Does whether the wood is soft or hard have anything to do with the drilling speed?

I just bought the K4 Master System with an extra clamp and 1,000 Kreg screws, plus received the 1,000 free Kreg screw bonus that Woodcraft has going through Oct. 29.  So, I'm ready to drill and to install some pocket screws.  

I have a Ryobi 18-Volt Lithium Drill/Screwdriver with clutch that is rated at 1,600 RPM and a Makita Hammer Drill that is rated at 2,800 RPM, but its corded and heavier, which I would use in drill mode.  My first projects will be using 3/4 inch (actual) thick pine and poplar.  For this drilling, may I use the 1,600 RPM drill or do I need to use the 2,600 RPM drill?

Hi John - Thank you very much for the info.  Have you been using your Ryobi 18V Lithium for drilling in softwoods, hardwoods or both?

I'll use the yellow Ryobi 18V Lithium for drilling the holes and my older dark blue Ryobi 18V Ni-Cad (which is only 1,300 RPM) with clutch for installing the screws, so I don't have to keep switching the drill bit and the driver bit.  I'll also drill some holes in the pine and the poplar with the 2,800 RPM Makita to see if I notice any difference in the holes. 

Does whether the wood is soft or hard have anything to do with the drilling speed for the Kreg pocket holes?

I don't do to much with hardwood, budget thing and most of my projects that use pocket screws are softwood or plywood. I have done a little with Home Depots' version of Red Oak and can't say there was much difference. Not enough for it to stand out for me to remember anyway. Course, at my age, I tend to take mental notes in disappearing ink anymore. :(

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_