Kreg Owners' Community

New to Kreg pocket jig. I see they require 2000rpm drill.  I have two cordless drills and mas out at 1500rmp.  I would like to buy a corded drill that is decent and wont brake the bank.  I want a metal chuck and keyed will be fine because it will be dedicated to the kreg bit i.e. do not need to quick change bits.

Views: 535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wal-Mart carries a little Black and Decker one speed for under $20. You could probably do one for less on Craigs List. Not much load drilling pocket holes so you don't really need a top shelf drill nor one in top notch condition for that matter.
According to Kreg you should use a 2000+rpm drill.  All the cheaper ones seem to be topped out at 1200 to 1500 rpm.  What rpm is the $20 B&D?  I can't find a corded B&D on walmarts site.
I used my cordless 1400 rpm drill for a pine project I am working on. It drilled the holes with ease. I suspect that in the holes in the exposed area's that I plugged, the tare-out was caused by the slow RPM. I did not notice the tare-out until I inserted the plugs.

Hi - Mine is 2000 rpm, I got it about a year ago though. I took a look at the WalMart site and it looks like they have discontinued that one. I did find this Skill for under $30 though:

http://www.skilshop.com/factory-reconditioned-skil-6277-02-rt-6-5-a...

Here's a 0-2,500 rpm Hitachi for $20

http://www.bigskytool.com/Hitachi_D10VH_38_Drill_6.0_Amp_EVS_Revers...

John Harris said:

According to Kreg you should use a 2000+rpm drill.  All the cheaper ones seem to be topped out at 1200 to 1500 rpm.  What rpm is the $20 B&D?  I can't find a corded B&D on walmarts site.
I currently use a 18 Volt cordless drill, which has a max rpm of 1200, on the couple of projects I have completed it worked fine.  I thought about using a corded drill... but Mine is lost in the garage somewhere, i'll just keep using the cordless until I find my corded.  I have only worked with Pine and 3/4" plywood.
I've used my cordless 18 volt many times with the Kreg jig and never had an issue. Mostly on pine but i did use oak once or twice.
I use a corded Makita hammer drill (with the hammer feature deselected) which is pretty much dedicated to the Kreg step bit as I seldom need it to drill concrete. I get cleaner holes than with the cordless & don't have to switch bits. To drive screws I use a 19.2 volt Craftsman. Both drills about 4 yrs old.
Hi Michael - What is the rpm range on your Makita?

Michael Hritz said:
I use a corded Makita hammer drill (with the hammer feature deselected) which is pretty much dedicated to the Kreg step bit as I seldom need it to drill concrete. I get cleaner holes than with the cordless & don't have to switch bits. To drive screws I use a 19.2 volt Craftsman. Both drills about 4 yrs old.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_